Quantcast

where is JDK source kept on Mac OSX?

Thomas Wolf-4
I've just been using NB on Mac for a few weeks now (been using NB on
Linux for years).  I noticed that whenever I try to visit JDK
classes/methods, I see this for the body:

                //compiled code
                throw new RuntimeException("Compiled Code");

Does anyone know where the src.zip (or equivalent) is on Mac's built-in
java so I can add it in NB's Java Platform Manager?  Or do I need to
download this separately from somewhere?

Thanks,
tom

Re: where is JDK source kept on Mac OSX?

Mark Wade

On Oct 29, 2010, at 4:20 PM, Thomas Wolf wrote:

I've just been using NB on Mac for a few weeks now (been using NB on Linux for years).  I noticed that whenever I try to visit JDK classes/methods, I see this for the body:

//compiled code
throw new RuntimeException("Compiled Code");

Does anyone know where the src.zip (or equivalent) is on Mac's built-in java so I can add it in NB's Java Platform Manager?  Or do I need to download this separately from somewhere?

Thanks,
tom

It's been so long, I think when you install the developer tools the java source is installed.

This from:

Get local copies of Mac OS X Java source code and Javadoc

Login to the Apple Developer Connection: (If you don't have an account create one – it is free.)

Go to the downloads page, select the Java category and download and install:

  • Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 2 Developer Documentation (Disk Image)

If a newer release is available download that instead.

The source code for each version of Java for the Mac can be found here:

Java version path to source jar
1.4.2 /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/src.jar
1.5.x /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/src.jar
1.6.x /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home/src.jar