what is the reason for ...?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

what is the reason for ...?

yixiazi.pp
what is the reason for

-- changing the default background color of  'Code Folding' to 'None'
   - too small of mouse targets to pinpoint the right side of the Code
Folding and the left side of the Editor.
   - currently, (as the white backgroud color) if mouse go wrong, that
is moving mouse into the area of the while backgroud of Code Folding,
then try to drag and select block of code, nothing happened.
   - As in Netbeans 4.1, there are at least color differences to
distinguish them.
   - And there really should be space between them and allow you to drag
mouse and to select block of source code.


-- Changing the default Editor size setting back to 12
    - It seem more comfortable as setting of 'size 13' in Netbeans4.1


If you are still not explicit, please auto-generate follow class,

public class Test {
      public static void main(String [] argv) throws Exception {

     }
}

then try to drag mouse and to select the whole above code.
Can you easyly put the caret in front of the letter 'p' of 'public class
Test {' ?

-pprun

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the reason for ...?

Roman Strobl
pprun wrote:

> what is the reason for
>
> -- changing the default background color of  'Code Folding' to 'None'

It's designed according to this UI spec:
http://ui.netbeans.org/docs/ui/editor/gutter/glyphgutter-foldingbar.html

The current status is not final, AFAIK UI designers want to add a line
or something else to distinguish between folding bar and editor. We know
about the drag & drop problem. There's another issue - the space is
exactly 1 character so people tend to press delete if there's no fold -
you cannot realize if you are on the first row. The reason for the
change was to improve the look of folding bar. There are many editors
where white space is used left to the editor. I personally am not very
happy about this change, but we're working on a solution.

>   - too small of mouse targets to pinpoint the right side of the Code
> Folding and the left side of the Editor.
>   - currently, (as the white backgroud color) if mouse go wrong, that
> is moving mouse into the area of the while backgroud of Code Folding,
> then try to drag and select block of code, nothing happened.
>   - As in Netbeans 4.1, there are at least color differences to
> distinguish them.
>   - And there really should be space between them and allow you to
> drag mouse and to select block of source code.
>
>
> -- Changing the default Editor size setting back to 12
>    - It seem more comfortable as setting of 'size 13' in Netbeans4.1

Default setting of NetBeans 4.1 is 12px and the same font size should be
in 5.0 (WinXP, Linux). What platform are you talking about? This setting
is OS dependent - on Mac the size is different.

-Roman
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the reason for ...?

yixiazi.pp
Roman Strobl wrote:

> pprun wrote:
>
>> what is the reason for
>>
>> -- changing the default background color of  'Code Folding' to 'None'
>
>
> It's designed according to this UI spec:
> http://ui.netbeans.org/docs/ui/editor/gutter/glyphgutter-foldingbar.html
>
> The current status is not final, AFAIK UI designers want to add a line
> or something else to distinguish between folding bar and editor. We know
> about the drag & drop problem. There's another issue - the space is
> exactly 1 character so people tend to press delete if there's no fold -
> you cannot realize if you are on the first row. The reason for the
> change was to improve the look of folding bar. There are many editors
> where white space is used left to the editor. I personally am not very
> happy about this change, but we're working on a solution.
thanks for the efforts.

>
>>   - too small of mouse targets to pinpoint the right side of the Code
>> Folding and the left side of the Editor.
>>   - currently, (as the white backgroud color) if mouse go wrong, that
>> is moving mouse into the area of the while backgroud of Code Folding,
>> then try to drag and select block of code, nothing happened.
>>   - As in Netbeans 4.1, there are at least color differences to
>> distinguish them.
>>   - And there really should be space between them and allow you to
>> drag mouse and to select block of source code.
>>
>>
>> -- Changing the default Editor size setting back to 12
>>    - It seem more comfortable as setting of 'size 13' in Netbeans4.1
>
>
> Default setting of NetBeans 4.1 is 12px and the same font size should be
> in 5.0 (WinXP, Linux). What platform are you talking about? This setting
> is OS dependent - on Mac the size is different.

I'm on Windows2K, Default setting of NetBeans 4.1 is 13px (Tools |
Options | Editing | Java Editor -> Font Size)

BTW. how to change this setting in the new modern Options windows, it
seemed as if it has been removed in the Classic View.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: what is the reason for ...?

Roman Strobl
pprun wrote:

>> Default setting of NetBeans 4.1 is 12px and the same font size should
>> be in 5.0 (WinXP, Linux). What platform are you talking about? This
>> setting is OS dependent - on Mac the size is different.
>
>
> I'm on Windows2K, Default setting of NetBeans 4.1 is 13px (Tools |
> Options | Editing | Java Editor -> Font Size)

Is it 4.1 final? Strange, my 4.1 has 12 px as default (with empty userdir).

>
> BTW. how to change this setting in the new modern Options windows, it
> seemed as if it has been removed in the Classic View.

Fonts & Colors, choose default font and click on "..." button to change
the size. You can also change font size in various editors. A fresh dev
build is needed (there were some bugs in this area).

-Roman

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the reason for ...?

yixiazi.pp
Roman Strobl wrote:

> pprun wrote:
>
>>> Default setting of NetBeans 4.1 is 12px and the same font size should
>>> be in 5.0 (WinXP, Linux). What platform are you talking about? This
>>> setting is OS dependent - on Mac the size is different.
>>
>>
>>
>> I'm on Windows2K, Default setting of NetBeans 4.1 is 13px (Tools |
>> Options | Editing | Java Editor -> Font Size)
>
>
> Is it 4.1 final? Strange, my 4.1 has 12 px as default (with empty userdir).
>
>>
>> BTW. how to change this setting in the new modern Options windows, it
>> seemed as if it has been removed in the Classic View.
>
>
> Fonts & Colors, choose default font and click on "..." button to change
> the size. You can also change font size in various editors. A fresh dev
> build is needed (there were some bugs in this area).

Oh, sorry! I used the dev build-20050831, the button you point is disable.