Quantcast

suggesting more accessibility improvements for Netbeans

suggesting more accessibility improvements for Netbeans

chuck winstead
Hello net Beans Development team,
My name is Chuck, and i am from Owensboro Kentucky. I’ve had an interest for learning how to code for some time.
I have been looking for an accessible IDE for the Mac, aside from apple’s Xcode which is generally for apple things.
I discovered the NetBeans program, and noticed that it can do several different types of languages.
I downloaded it and installed it. To my surprise it was labeled OK with accessibility. I could see the buttons clearly, but even though I see the buttons clearly with VoiceOver. That doesn’t mean I can use it completely.
I still couldn’t to see my code as I typed.
i wanted to write to you and request that it have better accessibility improvements in future releases.
i’ve tried Using things like Eclipse, and Leclipse, but I still need a sighted person to get me back in to correct code if there is an error.
I like what i see so far, and i do hope that accessibility’s improved in the future releases. I am still looking for an accessible IDE, because I didn’t do too well in my Computer -Science class. Partially because I could not find an accessible IDE.
I’ve still been wanting to improve my coding skills.
Definitely let me know about the accessibility improvements.
Chuck

Re: suggesting more accessibility improvements for Netbeans

Emilian Bold-2
Hello,

Andreas Stefik has been working on the Quorum language ( https://www.quorumlanguage.com ) which is has a big focus on accessibility. Their IDE, called Sodbeans, is built on top of NetBeans.

I see on their download page ( https://www.quorumlanguage.com/download.html ) that they also have enhances the accessibility of NetBeans:

Self-voicing support: By default, screen readers only partially read NetBeans out-of-the-box. Sodbeans' self-voicing support provides an alternative method.

This might provide a better overall experience.

Please open issues on Bugzilla ( https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/ ) for accessibility issues. This might speed things up (and encourage whatever improvements Sodbeans has to be pushed into NetBeans proper).

--emi