settings, change language

ShinDot

c_belderrain wrote:

> Spacebux wrote:
> > You can point out there are 13 million whom are happily using the program.  How can you track how many AREN'T using it because they couldn't read / understand the language it was in once installed?  They most likely gave up and would never has gone as far to log in here and make a statement!
>

> Spacebux has a point.
>
> I downloaded the English version of Netbeans 7.3 and ended up with a Portuguese-BR IDE.
>
> Even though PT-BR is my native language, I'm used to English and I actually felt lost in the non-English IDE.
>
> I would suggest a simple fix: if the user chooses English at the download page, the installer should honor his choice and not override it with the current locale instead.
>
> Thanks, Dmitry.

Exact same goddamn thing happened to me today, spent most of my morning trying to fix it. My PC being in PT-BR doesn't bother me, but my fkin IDE?? No thank you. The sad thing is that I was starting to really get into Java, I've previously only seen C++ (which I'm very fond of) and C#. I was using Code:Blocks, which is ok, and Visual Studio 2012, which kind of annoys me, so I thought switching to NetBeans for the Java part would be a good idea. HA

> What're you going to do? lodge a complaint here? vote on something that you are completely new to (that's why I haven't voted yet---its like my first day here) ? or, are you more likely to go look at Eclipse or other IDEs?
>
> It's ridiculous to presume that just because 13 million are happily using that there are not 26 million more whom are not because of a silly language selection issue that nearly all install scripts these days have sorted out.

Well, I've given up on making a simple thing work with such a ridiculous solution, back to Visual Studio it is, but I am COMPELLED to register just to complain. Most people don't do that, they just give up, and that's the problem, just like you said.

settings, change language

tkellerer

ShinDot wrote:
> Exact same goddamn thing happened to me today, spent most of my morning trying to fix it. My PC being in PT-BR doesn't bother me, but my fkin IDE?? No thank you. The sad thing is that I was starting to really get into Java, I've previously only seen C++ (which I'm very fond of) and C#. I was using Code:Blocks, which is ok, and Visual Studio 2012, which kind of annoys me, so I thought switching to NetBeans for the Java part would be a good idea. HA

You can easily change that for yourself.

Just start NetBeans with the parameter "--locale en"

For a full list of the startup parameters see the FAQ:

http://wiki.netbeans.org/FaqStartupParameters

settings, change language

ShinDot

tkellerer wrote:

> ShinDot wrote:
> > Exact same goddamn thing happened to me today, spent most of my morning trying to fix it. My PC being in PT-BR doesn't bother me, but my fkin IDE?? No thank you. The sad thing is that I was starting to really get into Java, I've previously only seen C++ (which I'm very fond of) and C#. I was using Code:Blocks, which is ok, and Visual Studio 2012, which kind of annoys me, so I thought switching to NetBeans for the Java part would be a good idea. HA
>
> You can easily change that for yourself.
>
> Just start NetBeans with the parameter "--locale en"
>
> For a full list of the startup parameters see the FAQ:
>
> http://wiki.netbeans.org/FaqStartupParameters

Or maybe NetBeans could behave like 99% of software out there and don't decide my locale on its own.
I'm pretty sure most programmers don't have enough free time to go after such a ridiculous solution.
I appreciate the help, but between the effort required and a simple install of Code:Blocks or Visual Studio, I'm pretty sure which one sounds better ...