[openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Tom Wheeler
Hello,

I just published an article that explains the basics of developing
with the NetBeans platform:

    http://www.ociweb.com/jnb/jnbSep2005.html

It mainly explains the advantages, disadvantages and terminology of
the platform.  It concludes by showing how to use the cluster build
harness and some existing modules to create a simple application (a
file browser with image viewing support).  One of my main goals was to
link together the existing documentation and tutorials that helped me
to get started so that it's a little easier for a beginner to find
everything.

I want to mention the article on the list in case someone is just
beginning to use the platform and is looking for something basic.  I'm
working on another article for next month that gets into more detail
about how to create new modules and put them together to construct an
entire application.

Tom Wheeler
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Geertjan Wielenga
Tom Wheeler wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I just published an article that explains the basics of developing
>with the NetBeans platform:
>
>    http://www.ociweb.com/jnb/jnbSep2005.html
>
>It mainly explains the advantages, disadvantages and terminology of
>the platform.  It concludes by showing how to use the cluster build
>harness and some existing modules to create a simple application (a
>file browser with image viewing support).  One of my main goals was to
>link together the existing documentation and tutorials that helped me
>to get started so that it's a little easier for a beginner to find
>everything.
>
>I want to mention the article on the list in case someone is just
>beginning to use the platform and is looking for something basic.  I'm
>working on another article for next month that gets into more detail
>about how to create new modules and put them together to construct an
>entire application.
>
>Tom Wheeler
>  
>
Great article. It's been sent around by various people, all full of
praise for it! Here are some docs that should help you:

http://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/

Especially this one (a work in progress):
http://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-feedreader.html

Comments on the above would be warmly received.

-- Geertjan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Michel Graciano


2005/9/2, Geertjan Wielenga <[hidden email]>:
[...]
Especially this one (a work in progress):
http://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-feedreader.html
[...]
I can´t see the link in tutorials page. It´s not added yet?
My question is that this tutorial is good, and very important for the new plugins developers.

[]'s

--
Atenciosamente,

Michel Graciano
http://www.jroller.com/page/hmichel
https://jae.dev.java.net/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Ben Garrison
I suspect it's because the most important step is not implemented yet.  =)
 
"Not supported yet: Press Ctrl-Shift-N. The New Project wizard opens. Under Categories, expand Samples. Under NetBeans Plug-in Modules, select FeedReader. Click Next and then click Finish. "
 
(or is it in the latest daily build?)
 
On 03/09/05, Michel Graciano <[hidden email]> wrote:


2005/9/2, Geertjan Wielenga <[hidden email]>:
[...]
Especially this one (a work in progress):
<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-feedreader.html" target="_blank"> http://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-feedreader.html
[...]
I can´t see the link in tutorials page. It´s not added yet?
My question is that this tutorial is good, and very important for the new plugins developers.

[]'s

--
Atenciosamente,

Michel Graciano
<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.jroller.com/page/hmichel" target="_blank">http://www.jroller.com/page/hmichel
<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="https://jae.dev.java.net/" target="_blank">https://jae.dev.java.net/



--
Soli Deo Gloria
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Michel Graciano
Not present yet in latest daily build.
[]'s
--
Atenciosamente,

Michel Graciano
http://www.jroller.com/page/hmichel
https://jae.dev.java.net/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Radesh Rao
In reply to this post by Ben Garrison
Which Q-build is this supposed to be working with ? I am trying the
200508301800 build of the IDE and I am not able to add the Library
Wrapper Module Project for jdom and rome (didn't try the fetcher)

--
Radesh

On 9/3/05, Ben Garrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suspect it's because the most important step is not implemented yet.  =)
>  
> "Not supported yet: Press Ctrl-Shift-N. The New Project wizard opens. Under
> Categories, expand Samples. Under NetBeans Plug-in Modules, select
> FeedReader. Click Next and then click Finish. "
>  
> (or is it in the latest daily build?)
>  
>  
> On 03/09/05, Michel Graciano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > 2005/9/2, Geertjan Wielenga <[hidden email]>:
> > > [...]
> > > Especially this one (a work in progress):
> > >
> http://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-feedreader.html
> > > [...]
> > >
> > I can´t see the link in tutorials page. It´s not added yet?
> > My question is that this tutorial is good, and very important for the new
> plugins developers.
> >
> > []'s
> >
> > --
> > Atenciosamente,
> >
> > Michel Graciano
> > http://www.jroller.com/page/hmichel 
> > https://jae.dev.java.net/ 
>
>
>
> --
> Soli Deo Gloria
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Geertjan Wielenga
Radesh Rao wrote:

>Which Q-build is this supposed to be working with ? I am trying the
>200508301800 build of the IDE and I am not able to add the Library
>Wrapper Module Project for jdom and rome (didn't try the fetcher)
>
>  
>

Maybe not in there yet. Take a daily build from here:
http://www.netbeans.info/downloads/download.php?a=n&p=2

-- Gj
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Geertjan Wielenga
In reply to this post by Michel Graciano
Michel Graciano wrote:

>
>
> 2005/9/2, Geertjan Wielenga <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     [...]
>     Especially this one (a work in progress):
>     http://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-feedreader.html
>     [...]
>
> I can?t see the link in tutorials page. It?s not added yet?

I'll add it today.

> My question is that this tutorial is good, and very important for the
> new plugins developers.

Thanks but a lot of work still has to be done on it. ;-)

-- Gj

>
> []'s
>
> --
> Atenciosamente,
>
> Michel Graciano
> http://www.jroller.com/page/hmichel
> https://jae.dev.java.net/ <https://jae.dev.java.net/>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Geertjan Wielenga
In reply to this post by Ben Garrison
Ben Garrison wrote:

> I suspect it's because the most important step is not implemented yet.  =)
>  
> "*Not supported yet:* Press Ctrl-Shift-N. The New Project wizard
> opens. Under Categories, expand Samples. Under NetBeans Plug-in
> Modules, select FeedReader. Click Next and then click Finish. "
>  
> (or is it in the latest daily build?)

Well, it's not present as a sample yet. Still, you can build it using
the instructions in the tutorial.

-- Gj

>  
> On 03/09/05, *Michel Graciano* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>
>
>     2005/9/2, Geertjan Wielenga <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>         [...]
>         Especially this one (a work in progress):
>         http://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-feedreader.html
>         [...]
>
>     I can?t see the link in tutorials page. It?s not added yet?
>     My question is that this tutorial is good, and very important for
>     the new plugins developers.
>
>     []'s
>
>     --
>     Atenciosamente,
>
>     Michel Graciano
>     http://www.jroller.com/page/hmichel
>     <http://www.jroller.com/page/hmichel>
>     https://jae.dev.java.net/ <https://jae.dev.java.net/>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Soli Deo Gloria


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Radesh Rao
In reply to this post by Geertjan Wielenga
Thanks ! Works like a charm.

On 9/4/05, Geertjan Wielenga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Radesh Rao wrote:
>
> >Which Q-build is this supposed to be working with ? I am trying the
> >200508301800 build of the IDE and I am not able to add the Library
> >Wrapper Module Project for jdom and rome (didn't try the fetcher)
> >
> >
> >
>
> Maybe not in there yet. Take a daily build from here:
> http://www.netbeans.info/downloads/download.php?a=n&p=2
>
> -- Gj
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Ben Garrison
In reply to this post by Geertjan Wielenga
What version of the IDE does that tutorial work in?  The version I have (quality build - august 23rd) throws a StringIndexOutOfBounds exception when I try to create a library wrapper module.
 
On 02/09/05, Geertjan Wielenga <[hidden email]> wrote:

Great article. It's been sent around by various people, all full of
praise for it! Here are some docs that should help you:

http://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/

Especially this one (a work in progress):
http://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-feedreader.html

Comments on the above would be warmly received.

-- Geertjan
 

--
Soli Deo Gloria

 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Rich Unger
That bug was fixed.  Pick up a more recent nightly build.
Rich

Ben Garrison wrote:

>What version of the IDE does that tutorial work in? The version I have
>(quality build - august 23rd) throws a StringIndexOutOfBounds exception when
>I try to create a library wrapper module.
> On 02/09/05, Geertjan Wielenga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>
>>Great article. It's been sent around by various people, all full of
>>praise for it! Here are some docs that should help you:
>>
>>http://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/
>>
>>Especially this one (a work in progress):
>>http://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-feedreader.html
>>
>>Comments on the above would be warmly received.
>>
>>-- Geertjan
>>    
>>
>
>
>  
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Andre.Eickler
In reply to this post by Tom Wheeler

Hi Tom,

thanks for this article. It's always good to see that I am not the only one using Eclipse to develop on top of NetBeans -- despite of this NetClipse/BeanClipse jokes on sf.net).

I actually have a set of Eclipse plugins that are similar to Eclipse PDE, just for NetBeans. So you get out-of-the-box support for running and debugging NetBeans from Eclipse (i.e., putting the relevant jars on the classpath and configuring the source lookup), creating NetBeans module projects (i.e., editor for module properties and module dependencies, classpath container for managing the build path) and two simple wizards for creating actions and top components.

I am trying some lobbying to open-source this, and a good argument would be other users interested in developing it. So if you hear something ...

Cheers,
André

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Tom Wheeler [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Friday, 02 September, 2005 17:02
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Hello,

I just published an article that explains the basics of developing with the NetBeans platform:

    http://www.ociweb.com/jnb/jnbSep2005.html

It mainly explains the advantages, disadvantages and terminology of the platform.  It concludes by showing how to use the cluster build harness and some existing modules to create a simple application (a file browser with image viewing support).  One of my main goals was to link together the existing documentation and tutorials that helped me to get started so that it's a little easier for a beginner to find everything.

I want to mention the article on the list in case someone is just beginning to use the platform and is looking for something basic.  I'm working on another article for next month that gets into more detail about how to create new modules and put them together to construct an entire application.

Tom Wheeler
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[openide-dev] Re: New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Levent Aksu
In reply to this post by Tom Wheeler
Hi,
I am quite new to platform development and looking around for samples
and started with this one.
Got one comment and one question for that I am stuck. Comment first:
In the part that reads "Edit the nbbuild/user.build.properties file and
add diskexplorer to the list of modules in your cluster." I guess it
should be "user.cluster.properties" instead of "user.build.properties".
And the thing I am stuck is I can bring up the Disk Explorer but it
displays nothing inside and an exception is thrown:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Called DataObject.find on null
        at org.openide.loaders.DataObject.find(DataObject.java:444)
        at
org.netbeans.modules.diskexplorer.DiskExplorerTopComponent$RootChildren.initCollection(DiskExplorerTopComponent.java:167)
        at org.openide.nodes.Children$Array.getCollection(Children.java:1327)
        at org.openide.nodes.Children$Array$AE.nodes(Children.java:1371)
        at org.openide.nodes.ChildrenArray.nodesFor(ChildrenArray.java:112)
        at org.openide.nodes.Children$Info.nodes(Children.java:1137)
        at org.openide.nodes.Children.justComputeNodes(Children.java:638)
        at org.openide.nodes.ChildrenArray.nodes(ChildrenArray.java:54)
        at org.openide.nodes.Children.getNodes(Children.java:331)
        at
org.openide.explorer.view.VisualizerNode.getChildren(VisualizerNode.java:192)
        at
org.openide.explorer.view.VisualizerNode.getChildCount(VisualizerNode.java:231)
        at
javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeModel.getChildCount(DefaultTreeModel.java:168)
...

I cannot go any further. I must be missing something.
Best Regards,
Levent Aksu

Tom Wheeler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just published an article that explains the basics of developing
> with the NetBeans platform:
>
>     http://www.ociweb.com/jnb/jnbSep2005.html
>
> It mainly explains the advantages, disadvantages and terminology of
> the platform.  It concludes by showing how to use the cluster build
> harness and some existing modules to create a simple application (a
> file browser with image viewing support).  One of my main goals was to
> link together the existing documentation and tutorials that helped me
> to get started so that it's a little easier for a beginner to find
> everything.
>
> I want to mention the article on the list in case someone is just
> beginning to use the platform and is looking for something basic.  I'm
> working on another article for next month that gets into more detail
> about how to create new modules and put them together to construct an
> entire application.
>
> Tom Wheeler
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: [openide-dev] New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

T. Deubia
In reply to this post by Andre.Eickler
I'd definitely be interested in checking out those plugins.  If there's a way that I can help, please let me know.
 
Tom Wheeler

thanks for this article. It's always good to see that I am not the only one using Eclipse to develop on top of NetBeans -- despite of this NetClipse/BeanClipse jokes on sf.net).

I actually have a set of Eclipse plugins that are similar to Eclipse PDE, just for NetBeans. ...
I am trying some lobbying to open-source this, and a good argument would be other users interested in developing it. So if you hear something ...

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[openide-dev] Re: New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Jesse Glick
In reply to this post by Levent Aksu
Levent Aksu wrote:
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Called DataObject.find on null
>     at org.openide.loaders.DataObject.find(DataObject.java:444)
>     at
> org.netbeans.modules.diskexplorer.DiskExplorerTopComponent$RootChildren.initCollection(DiskExplorerTopComponent.java:167)

Presumably there is a bug in this sample. (Not surprising, since I don't
believe anyone maintains it.) I checked a possible fix into CVS, maybe
it will help you.

-J.

--
         You may land now, O Alien Intelligences!
      The ground has been sanctified with Baco Bits!
[hidden email]  x22801  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[openide-dev] Re: New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Levent Aksu
Please bear with my questions though it may sound stupid:
- If no one maintains it and it has a bug in it, how the sample app in
this article is supposed to work?
- I cvs checked out the apisupport module:

cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/cvs checkout apisupport

I suppose your fix should be somewhere in it around
apisupport/cluster_harness/diskexplorer. yet i got no java sources down
here. Is it the correct place?

Best Regards,
Levent Aksu


Jesse Glick wrote:

> Levent Aksu wrote:
>
>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Called DataObject.find on null
>>     at org.openide.loaders.DataObject.find(DataObject.java:444)
>>     at
>> org.netbeans.modules.diskexplorer.DiskExplorerTopComponent$RootChildren.initCollection(DiskExplorerTopComponent.java:167)
>
>
>
> Presumably there is a bug in this sample. (Not surprising, since I don't
> believe anyone maintains it.) I checked a possible fix into CVS, maybe
> it will help you.
>
> -J.
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [openide-dev] Re: New Article on Getting Started with the NetBeans Platform

Tom Wheeler
That's certainly a valid question.  The files were in that location a
couple a of weeks ago, but they appear to have since been moved here:

     platform/samples/diskexplorer/

See issue #62157 for details.

Tthe only change I made to the disk explorer in the article was to
make sure that the code in performAction() was invoked from the AWT
event dispatch thread.  I hope to have time this weekend to add my
changes to the NB sources.

By the way, you were right about the mistake in which I said to edit
the user.build.properties file when I mean the user.cluster.properties
file. I have corrected this in the article on the OCI Web site.

On 9/9/05, Levent Aksu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please bear with my questions though it may sound stupid:
> - If no one maintains it and it has a bug in it, how the sample app in
> this article is supposed to work?
> - I cvs checked out the apisupport module:
>
> cvs -d :pserver:[hidden email]:/cvs checkout apisupport
>
> I suppose your fix should be somewhere in it around
> apisupport/cluster_harness/diskexplorer. yet i got no java sources down
> here. Is it the correct place?
>
> Best Regards,
> Levent Aksu
>
>
> Jesse Glick wrote:
> > Levent Aksu wrote:
> >
> >> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Called DataObject.find on null
> >>     at org.openide.loaders.DataObject.find(DataObject.java:444)
> >>     at
> >> org.netbeans.modules.diskexplorer.DiskExplorerTopComponent$RootChildren.initCollection(DiskExplorerTopComponent.java:167)
> >
> >
> >
> > Presumably there is a bug in this sample. (Not surprising, since I don't
> > believe anyone maintains it.) I checked a possible fix into CVS, maybe
> > it will help you.
> >
> > -J.
> >
>
>