off-topic: Tabs in menu & toolbar area?

Thomas Wolf-7
This isn't necessarily a NB question (although I guess I could ask if the GUI builder can create a UI like that :-)

My Swing app is short on vertical space (with all monitors having less pixels in that direction, what apps aren't? :-) and my menu and toolbars don't have many items, so if the tabs of my JTabbedPane could be displayed in their available space...

Can it be done?  If not with standard Swing components - anyone aware of a third-party library (e.g. Jide) that has this capability?

Many thanks - and apologies again for this off-topic question.

tom