not your typical multiple jars in a project question

not your typical multiple jars in a project question

THOMAS DAVID VAUGHAN
hi,

i have my application split up into multiple projects. some of these
projects depend on one another. for example, the protocol library is
shared by the server and the clients. but i also have third-party
libraries (binary only, no source) that i need to make into projects and
use in other projects. for example, i have an application that uses
jfreechart. jfreechart is two jars, jcommon and jfreechart. and there
are others with more jars. i don't want to create a jcommon project and
a jfreechart project. i just want to be able to create a jfreechart
project that contains these two jars, and then share them in the other
projects that need them. yes, i know about libraries. i could just have
each developer create their own libraries with the necessary jars, but
that won't work for our automated build process. the whole build is
scripted and run nightly, pulled from a subversion repository. so, my
question then is how do i create a project (probably using an existing
ant script) that doesn't contain sources, and contains more than one
jar? thanks!

-tom

Re: not your typical multiple jars in a project question

Tim Boudreau

On Aug 25, 2005, at 9:31 AM, THOMAS DAVID VAUGHAN wrote:

> hi,
>
> i have my application split up into multiple projects. some of these
> projects depend on one another. for example, the protocol library is
> shared by the server and the clients. but i also have third-party
> libraries (binary only, no source) that i need to make into projects
> and use in other projects. for example, i have an application that
> uses jfreechart. jfreechart is two jars, jcommon and jfreechart. and
> there are others with more jars. i don't want to create a jcommon
> project and a jfreechart project. i just want to be able to create a
> jfreechart project that contains these two jars, and then share them
> in the other projects that need them. yes, i know about libraries. i
> could just have each developer create their own libraries with the
> necessary jars, but that won't work for our automated build process.
> the whole build is scripted and run nightly, pulled from a subversion
> repository. so, my question then is how do i create a project
> (probably using an existing ant script) that doesn't contain sources,
> and contains more than one jar? thanks!

I don't work on the project system, so I don't *know* that it could
work, but I think you could have a project that uses the libraries you
want, and then your projects could depend on that project - but I have
no idea if the project system would see those libraries as being part
of the classpath or not.

If the jars are in version control under the same source root as the
projects, then relative paths should be used automatically, I believe.

-Tim

Re: not your typical multiple jars in a project question

Brian Cook

You will need to check the docs but I believe there are some instances
where you may need separate JVM's too.

--
Brian Cook
Digital Services Analyst