new starter : [Q] Visual Web - designer/builder

new starter : [Q] Visual Web - designer/builder

ninjaef
Hi all

I have been an embedded systems developer for some 30years: C/C++/Ada/Assembler/Algol/Occam/TCP

Just moving into Open Systems and wanted to learn Java for nothing more than the sheer hell of it!

So I d/l the fantastic NB v8.2 and set about learning Java, MVC, Frameworks, and Libs etc for a web app. I am developing this on a Win10 machine with remote deployment/debug on a Raspberry PI.

All going well, except when I tried this tutorial it seems I am unable to get a Web Page designer running. From searches on this forum, there is some talk about it being removed at v6.5/8 ?? Heck NO! why would such a useful feature be removed. Yes,Yes we will get all the purists saying things like "yes but it doesn't teach you proper page design like HTML/Scripting", "it creates clunky non portable code"... to which I would say "why are you using NB - just use vim/notepad for everything and setup all frameworks and microservers manually".

Can you guys confirm that visual web is indeed not part of NB8.2 and if so, is there some alternative (plugin) that functions similarly if not the same?

This is a real dealbreaker for those setting off on the learning curve who just want something to work after which they will dig deeper into underlying code to improve it.!
https://netbeans.org/community/magazine/html/03/visualwebdev/

Re: new starter : [Q] Visual Web - designer/builder

Glenn Holmer-4
On 05/02/2017 01:31 AM, ninjaef wrote:
> So I d/l the fantastic NB v8.2 and set about learning Java, MVC,
> Frameworks, and Libs etc for a web app. I am developing this on a
> Win10 machine with remote deployment/debug on a Raspberry PI.
>
> All going well, except when I tried this tutorial it seems I am
> unable to get a Web Page designer running. From searches on this
> forum, there is some talk about it being removed at v6.5/8 ?? Heck
> NO! why would such a useful feature be removed.

The JSF visual web editor you are talking about has been dead and buried
for many years now. See this discussion in a JavaOne presentation from 2010:

https://netbeans.org/project_downloads/www/NetBeans%20JavaOne%202010%20Slides/netbeans-javaone2010-s314648-give-me-jsf-editor.pdf

NetBeans does, however, provide support for HTML5 development, including
live preview of Web pages:

https://netbeans.org/features/html5/

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)