Quantcast

gwt for netbeans

solar hello
i like netbeans.it is really a great IDE.
however,there is still to few plugins .
for example ,it's difficult for me to find a good plugin for gwt.
gwt4nb is the only one i got.but this is not really good enough for me.
an other example is Android.i can find usable plugin for android either.

can anybody give me some other choice for these.thanks a lot.

Re: gwt for netbeans

Geertjan Wielenga
solar hello wrote:
> i like netbeans.it is really a great IDE.
> however,there is still to few plugins .
> for example ,it's difficult for me to find a good plugin for gwt.
> gwt4nb is the only one i got.but this is not really good enough for me.
> an other example is Android.i can find usable plugin for android either.
>
> can anybody give me some other choice for these.thanks a lot.

What would you like the GWT support to do that it currently doesn't do?

Geertjan

Re: gwt for netbeans

Lloyd Meinholz
If I were in a netbeans only world, the gwt4nb plugin would be good
enough to allow me to use netbeans as my primary IDE for my current
GWT project. But because my client requires that my work support
eclipse IDE users, idea is a better option for me.

Because gwt4nb doesn't appear to support the GWT default project
structure, specifically the public folder being in the src dir tree,
it is much more difficult to create a project that can be easily used
in both eclipse and netbeans. I do not have this problem with idea and
their gwt plugin. This is the main reason I am using idea for my GWT
project instead of netbeans right now. Additionally, this will be a
consideration for me for any side projects that may someday mature
into a state that I can share with people. I would want to make it as
easy as possible for potential users to develop with any IDE.

Maybe maven will one day be the easiest way to accomplish cross-IDE
development, but I'm not sure it's there today. It's irrelevant to me
in my current circumstances anyway since my client requires the use of
ant and not maven.

Creating a project with the GWT tools, I can easily develop that
project with eclipse or with idea (see below). With netbeans, I cannot
easily do that. When I try to import the eclipse project (created
below) into netbeans, netbeans does not recognize the project as a web
project, so I am unable to add the GWT framework. If I fake netbeans
out by creating a dummy web/WEB-INF folder, then try and create a new
project from existing sources, netbeans still gets confused because it
is looking for the GWT public folder in the web directory instead of
src/.../public.

I suppose it is possible to create the GWT application in netbeans and
then get eclipse to recognize the non-standard GWT project structure,
but this is not as natural as what I describe below and requires more
(unnecessary) work.

Another point it that by altering the conventional GWT application
directory structure, it makes it more difficult and confusing for new
GWT developers since the netbeans project structure does not match the
project structure of non-netbeans GWT tutorials and documentation.

To demonstrate what I am talking about, try the following:

* Create a GWT Application and run it from the command line.

mkdir ~/Development/HelloGWT
cd ~/Development/HelloGWT
${GWT_HOME}/projectCreator -eclipse HelloGWT
${GWT_HOME}/applicationCreator -eclipse HelloGWT org.yournamehere.client.Main

./Main-compile

This compiles the application from the command line with no issue.

./Main-shell

This runs the application in hosted mode from the command line with no issue.

* Import the project and run it from within eclipse

Start eclipse.
Click File -> Import -> Existing Projects Into Workspace
Select ~/Development/HelloGWT as root directory.
Left click Main.launch
Run As -> Main

This runs the application in hosted mode from eclipse.

* Import the project and run it from within idea

Remove the www, .gwt-cache and tomcat directories from
~/Development/HelloGWT to keep from confusing idea.
Start idea 7.0.x with the gwt plugin installed.
Click File -> New Project
Select Import Project from External Model
Select Eclipse
Select ~/Development/HelloGWT
Select the project.
Leave default name and file location.
Select Finish.

You have to play around with gwt and module configuration, but it is
relatively easy to accomplish and relatively difficult to give
directions.
Configure a GWT Configuration to run the application in Hosted Mode.

This runs the application in hosted mode from idea.

In case you lasted this far, I really like netbeans and am just trying
to explain why I couldn't use it for this specific project. I really
wanted to use netbeans for this project, but couldn't because of the
reasons listed above.

Thanks for the great tool and hard work (and good tutorials and docs).
Hopefully I'll be able to use netbeans on my next project.

Lloyd

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:22 AM, Geertjan Wielenga
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> solar hello wrote:
>  > i like netbeans.it is really a great IDE.
>  > however,there is still to few plugins .
>  > for example ,it's difficult for me to find a good plugin for gwt.
>  > gwt4nb is the only one i got.but this is not really good enough for me.
>  > an other example is Android.i can find usable plugin for android either.
>  >
>  > can anybody give me some other choice for these.thanks a lot.
>  >
>  What would you like the GWT support to do that it currently doesn't do?
>
>  Geertjan

Re: gwt for netbeans

Lloyd Meinholz
I just realized that I didn't really directly answer your question. :)

What I would like the GWT support to do that it currently doesn't is
to support the conventional GWT project structure.