a better approach for minimap

Peter Cheung
Hi all, if you are editing a file with few hundreds lines, the minimap is not really helpful, because you can easily remember the scrolling position. So rather than display the lines on minimap, if we just display a single blue-block to represent each function, and put a red circles to tell you your last edit position (larger red circle mean you edited in there longer time). Would it be more useful? Thanks, Peter

Re: a better approach for minimap

Dmitry Avtonomov

Doesn’t look like it’s better than just the minimap. What would be cool, but probably hard to implement is fish-eye sort of an effect.

An example is here, the second from the last:

http://prefuse.org/gallery/

Re: a better approach for minimap

Peter Cheung
Thanks all gentlemen

Doesn’t look like it’s better than just the minimap. What would be cool, but probably hard to implement is fish-eye sort of an effect.

An example is here, the second from the last:

http://prefuse.org/gallery/

Hi all, if you are editing a file with few hundreds lines, the minimap is not really helpful, because you can easily remember the scrolling position. So rather than display the lines on minimap, if we just display a single blue-block to represent each function, and put a red circles to tell you your last edit position (larger red circle mean you edited in there longer time). Would it be more useful? Thanks, Peter

cid:4B69BE54-7BFA-4FB2-9193-578AE10F9D96

cid:EFA8DBD1-1F91-4CE8-974D-18C2350F94EB

Re: a better approach for minimap

Peter Cheung
java swing is always lack of animation support.