Where's Kotlin?

Macnerd
I have a Mac with Sierra installed.

I downloaded & installed Netbeans. I downloaded & installed Java SDK. I installed & activated Kotlin. The IDE shows that Kotlin is installed. When I click on "New Project", Kotlin is not listed! Why not? Where is Kotlin?

I even closed & reopened Netbeans.

How do I get Kotlin to show up when I click on "New Project"?

Re: Where's Kotlin?

wadechandler
Administrator
I wasn't aware NetBeans has support for Kotlin. What did you download and activate, and from where? JetBrains does both the IDEA and Eclipse plugins, so are they doing one for NetBeans now? Is someone from the community?

Wade

On Jan 9, 2017 5:02 PM, "Macnerd" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a Mac with Sierra installed.

I downloaded & installed Netbeans. I downloaded & installed Java SDK. I installed & activated Kotlin. The IDE shows that Kotlin is installed. When I click on "New Project", Kotlin is not listed! Why not? Where is Kotlin?

I even closed & reopened Netbeans.

How do I get Kotlin to show up when I click on "New Project"?

====================
Wade Chandler

Software Engineer
NetBeans and Open Source Contributor

Where's Kotlin?

Macnerd
I clicked on "Tools", then "Plugins", then "Available Plugins", then scrolled down & selected Kotlin. When I click on "Installed" Kotlin is listed.

Yet when I click on "File" & then "New Project", Kotlin isn't an option. It's not included under "Java".

It makes no sense. How can Kotlin plugin be installed but not available?

I know that Kotlin is available in IntelliJ.

I'm looking for an alternative to the verbose Java - like Kotlin or Jython or Scala.

Re: Where's Kotlin?

Geertjan Wielenga-3

http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/68590/kotlin

JetBrains created it.

Gj

On 10-1-2017 0:08, Wade Chandler wrote:
I wasn't aware NetBeans has support for Kotlin. What did you download and activate, and from where? JetBrains does both the IDEA and Eclipse plugins, so are they doing one for NetBeans now? Is someone from the community?

Wade

On Jan 9, 2017 5:02 PM, "Macnerd" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a Mac with Sierra installed.

I downloaded & installed Netbeans. I downloaded & installed Java SDK. I installed & activated Kotlin. The IDE shows that Kotlin is installed. When I click on "New Project", Kotlin is not listed! Why not? Where is Kotlin?

I even closed & reopened Netbeans.

How do I get Kotlin to show up when I click on "New Project"?

Re: Where's Kotlin?

tusharvjoshi

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:06 AM, geertjan wielenga <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/68590/kotlin
JetBrains created it.

seema like it is pending verification for 8.2 hence not shown in available plugins list in NetBeans IDE 8.2

with regards
    Tushar

Re: Where's Kotlin?

Geertjan Wielenga-3

Here's the GitHub repo: https://github.com/JetBrains/kotlin-netbeans

Read the layer, gives a good idea what the plugin provides:

https://github.com/JetBrains/kotlin-netbeans/blob/master/src/main/resources/org/jetbrains/kotlin/layer.xml

Gj

On 10-1-2017 1:29, Macnerd wrote:

> I clicked on "Tools", then "Plugins", then "Available Plugins", then scrolled down & selected Kotlin. When I click on "Installed" Kotlin is listed.
>
> Yet when I click on "File" & then "New Project", Kotlin isn't an option. It's not included under "Java".
>
> It makes no sense. How can Kotlin plugin be installed but not available?
>
> I know that Kotlin is available in IntelliJ.
>
> I'm looking for an alternative to the verbose Java - like Kotlin or Jython or Scala.

Re: Where's Kotlin?

wadechandler
Administrator
Way to go JetBrains!

Wade

Software Engineer

tusharvjoshi wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:06 AM, geertjan wielenga <address-removed (address-removed)> wrote:
>
> > http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/68590/kotlin (http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/68590/kotlin)
> > JetBrains created it.
>

> seema like it is pending verification for 8.2 hence not shown in available plugins list in NetBeans IDE 8.2
>
> with regards
>     Tushar

What should I do then? Should I uninstall Kotlin & wait? How will I know when it has been verified by NetBeans?

Re: Where's Kotlin?

wadechandler
Administrator
It may very well be that since it states it works with Ant and Maven projects it works like Groovy, where there aren't technically Groovy specific projects, but instead just Kotlin files under project types, and depending on the project type, that determines where to put them. I will try it out.

Wade

Software Engineer
NetBeans and Open Source Contributor

Re: Where's Kotlin?

wadechandler
Administrator
Yes, you place files under the appropriate place for a given project type. So, not really NB specific in that regard. I haven't tried yet, but probably works for Gradle too.

Wade