Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

kenjinboy
It's 2nd Oct now!




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com
NetBeans is in transition to Apache.

That means that you do need to get involved:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/How+to+Participate

Join the mailing lists and discussions there.

Here is info on what needs to happen for NetBeans to be released:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/List+of+Modules+to+Review

Here is how you can use NetBeans today with JDK 9:

https://jaxenter.com/netbeans/using-apache-netbeans-incubating-jdk-9


Geertjan Wielenga | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +31620320056 | 
Oracle Developer Tools

ORACLE Netherlands | Hertogswetering 163-167 | 3543 AS Utrecht | Netherlands


Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment



On 1 Oct 2017, at 18:29, kenjinboy <[hidden email]> wrote:

It's 2nd Oct now!





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Papa
In reply to this post by kenjinboy
My wife: You said you were going to have it finished a long time ago!
Me: I know, I know honey, you don't have to remind me every six months you know!


Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.
ArbolOne is composed of students and volunteers dedicated to providing free services to charitable organizations.
ArbolOne on Java Development in progress ⏳

------ Original message------
From: kenjinboy
Date: Mon, Oct 2, 2017 8:42 AM
Subject:[nbusers] Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

It's 2nd Oct now!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Alexander Schell
In reply to this post by kenjinboy
You want it?
You need it?
Then help building it! :D


Von Samsung Mobile gesendet


-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------
Von: kenjinboy
Datum:2017.10.02 03:29 (GMT+01:00)
Betreff: [nbusers] Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

It's 2nd Oct now!




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Papa

LOL, yes, I agree.

After reading your post I could not stop thinking of Beyoncé's message when in her song, "All the single ladies" she says, "If you really like it put a ring on it".
But, to answer the question of the OP, I just got my last issue of Java Magazine as well as Oracle Magazines and, from what I can see, the reason NB/Java9 have not been released is because they are polishing Java9 to as close to perfection as possible.
I don't mind waiting a little bit, as long as I get a nice supper, rushing would mean serial for supper again.


On 2017-10-04 12:57 AM, DealeyLama wrote:
You want it?
You need it?
Then help building it! :D


Von Samsung Mobile gesendet


-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------
Von: kenjinboy
Datum:2017.10.02 03:29 (GMT+01:00)
Betreff: [nbusers] Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

It's 2nd Oct now!





-- 
ArbolOne.ca
Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.
ArbolOne is composed of students and volunteers dedicated to providing free services to charitable organizations.
ArbolOne on Java Development in progress [ í ]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Thomas Wolf-7
"...not been released is because they are polishing Java9 to as close to perfection as possible." - well, given that Java 9 came out Sept 21, that can't be it!  As Geertjan and others from NB have pointed out, there's a delay in bringing out NB for Java 9 because it is being continued as an Apache project and they need contributors to help finish it.

tom

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 8:01 AM, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:

LOL, yes, I agree.

After reading your post I could not stop thinking of Beyoncé's message when in her song, "All the single ladies" she says, "If you really like it put a ring on it".
But, to answer the question of the OP, I just got my last issue of Java Magazine as well as Oracle Magazines and, from what I can see, the reason NB/Java9 have not been released is because they are polishing Java9 to as close to perfection as possible.
I don't mind waiting a little bit, as long as I get a nice supper, rushing would mean serial for supper again.


On 2017-10-04 12:57 AM, DealeyLama wrote:
You want it?
You need it?
Then help building it! :D


Von Samsung Mobile gesendet


-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------
Von: kenjinboy
Datum:2017.10.02 03:29 (GMT+01:00)
Betreff: [nbusers] Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

It's 2nd Oct now!





-- 
ArbolOne.ca
Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.
ArbolOne is composed of students and volunteers dedicated to providing free services to charitable organizations.
ArbolOne on Java Development in progress [ í ]



--
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Glenn Holmer-4
In reply to this post by Papa
On 10/04/2017 07:01 AM, Papa wrote:
> from what I can see, the
> reason NB/Java9 have not been released is because they are polishing
> Java9 to as close to perfection as possible.

Java 9 was released on 2017-09-21.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
"After the vintage season came the aftermath -- and Cenbe."
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Owen Thomas-2
Netbeans has been very good to me this past decade when not much else had. However, I didn't want to get my life of small things tangled in the development of a development environment: the notion seemed rather circular, and I didn't want to get any of my bits sucked into a vortex of doing something for its own sake owing to the fact that I haven't got any bits to spare. I wanted only to be able to have the software I needed to help me explore some ideas I had. Hence, the only thing I actually did do to support the Netbeans community is to provide anonymous usage data and to offer some wisdom here.

My guilty conscience thought that a non-circular life is not good for business and I was always of the view that my "not getting involved" was unsustainable for the community. An unofficial cessation of ongoing support by Oracle seems to show how business must draw itself to this conclusion too, and setting Netbeans free to be eaten by the high entropic chaos of reality is probably the inevitable consequence of unsustainable thought.

These are my conclusions; perhaps they're wrong. I'll stay with Netbeans unless or until time shows my thoughts to be correct. Perhaps Eclipse might still be around by then. This was great work by perhaps too few people who put themselves forward to be active contributors with a company who perhaps it seemed came to the conclusion that it was throwing good money after bad, but I wasn't really one to make overt displays of appreciation and perhaps I didn't make enough of it to help keep the enthusiasm; perhaps my existence, functioning al little more than a barnacle wasn't really helping the Netbeans community.

Oh god! At this moment, I've almost talked myself into reaching for a bottle of compressed nitrogen.

Not yet...


On 5 October 2017 at 04:31, Glenn Holmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/04/2017 07:01 AM, Papa wrote:
> from what I can see, the
> reason NB/Java9 have not been released is because they are polishing
> Java9 to as close to perfection as possible.

Java 9 was released on 2017-09-21.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
"After the vintage season came the aftermath -- and Cenbe."

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com

Not sure what this all means but, no, there is no ‘unofficial cessation of ongoing support by Oracle’.

Please read the incubator proposal, published in October last year:


…and then join Oracle in participating in NetBeans:


Thanks,


Geertjan Wielenga | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +31620320056 | 
Oracle Developer Tools

ORACLE Netherlands | Hertogswetering 163-167 | 3543 AS Utrecht | Netherlands


Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment

On 4 Oct 2017, at 15:58, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Netbeans has been very good to me this past decade when not much else had. However, I didn't want to get my life of small things tangled in the development of a development environment: the notion seemed rather circular, and I didn't want to get any of my bits sucked into a vortex of doing something for its own sake owing to the fact that I haven't got any bits to spare. I wanted only to be able to have the software I needed to help me explore some ideas I had. Hence, the only thing I actually did do to support the Netbeans community is to provide anonymous usage data and to offer some wisdom here.

My guilty conscience thought that a non-circular life is not good for business and I was always of the view that my "not getting involved" was unsustainable for the community. An unofficial cessation of ongoing support by Oracle seems to show how business must draw itself to this conclusion too, and setting Netbeans free to be eaten by the high entropic chaos of reality is probably the inevitable consequence of unsustainable thought.

These are my conclusions; perhaps they're wrong. I'll stay with Netbeans unless or until time shows my thoughts to be correct. Perhaps Eclipse might still be around by then. This was great work by perhaps too few people who put themselves forward to be active contributors with a company who perhaps it seemed came to the conclusion that it was throwing good money after bad, but I wasn't really one to make overt displays of appreciation and perhaps I didn't make enough of it to help keep the enthusiasm; perhaps my existence, functioning al little more than a barnacle wasn't really helping the Netbeans community.

Oh god! At this moment, I've almost talked myself into reaching for a bottle of compressed nitrogen.

Not yet...


On 5 October 2017 at 04:31, Glenn Holmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/04/2017 07:01 AM, Papa wrote:
> from what I can see, the
> reason NB/Java9 have not been released is because they are polishing
> Java9 to as close to perfection as possible.

Java 9 was released on 2017-09-21.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
"After the vintage season came the aftermath -- and Cenbe."


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Owen Thomas-2
Well, perhaps my sense of impending doom was overstated. I hope Netbeans has sufficient involvement of its users to continue long into the future.

On 5 October 2017 at 10:02, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Not sure what this all means but, no, there is no ‘unofficial cessation of ongoing support by Oracle’.

Please read the incubator proposal, published in October last year:


…and then join Oracle in participating in NetBeans:


Thanks,


Geertjan Wielenga | Principal Product Manager
Phone: <a href="tel:+31%206%2020320056" value="+31620320056" target="_blank">+31620320056 | 
Oracle Developer Tools

ORACLE Netherlands | Hertogswetering 163-167 | 3543 AS Utrecht | Netherlands


Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment

On 4 Oct 2017, at 15:58, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Netbeans has been very good to me this past decade when not much else had. However, I didn't want to get my life of small things tangled in the development of a development environment: the notion seemed rather circular, and I didn't want to get any of my bits sucked into a vortex of doing something for its own sake owing to the fact that I haven't got any bits to spare. I wanted only to be able to have the software I needed to help me explore some ideas I had. Hence, the only thing I actually did do to support the Netbeans community is to provide anonymous usage data and to offer some wisdom here.

My guilty conscience thought that a non-circular life is not good for business and I was always of the view that my "not getting involved" was unsustainable for the community. An unofficial cessation of ongoing support by Oracle seems to show how business must draw itself to this conclusion too, and setting Netbeans free to be eaten by the high entropic chaos of reality is probably the inevitable consequence of unsustainable thought.

These are my conclusions; perhaps they're wrong. I'll stay with Netbeans unless or until time shows my thoughts to be correct. Perhaps Eclipse might still be around by then. This was great work by perhaps too few people who put themselves forward to be active contributors with a company who perhaps it seemed came to the conclusion that it was throwing good money after bad, but I wasn't really one to make overt displays of appreciation and perhaps I didn't make enough of it to help keep the enthusiasm; perhaps my existence, functioning al little more than a barnacle wasn't really helping the Netbeans community.

Oh god! At this moment, I've almost talked myself into reaching for a bottle of compressed nitrogen.

Not yet...


On 5 October 2017 at 04:31, Glenn Holmer <[hidden email]wrote:
On 10/04/2017 07:01 AM, Papa wrote:
> from what I can see, the
> reason NB/Java9 have not been released is because they are polishing
> Java9 to as close to perfection as possible.

Java 9 was released on 2017-09-21.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
"After the vintage season came the aftermath -- and Cenbe."



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Papa
In reply to this post by Thomas Wolf-7

Aaah! thanks for the clarification :-)


On 2017-10-04 1:28 PM, Thomas Wolf wrote:
"...not been released is because they are polishing Java9 to as close to perfection as possible." - well, given that Java 9 came out Sept 21, that can't be it!  As Geertjan and others from NB have pointed out, there's a delay in bringing out NB for Java 9 because it is being continued as an Apache project and they need contributors to help finish it.

tom

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 8:01 AM, Papa <[hidden email]> wrote:

LOL, yes, I agree.

After reading your post I could not stop thinking of Beyoncé's message when in her song, "All the single ladies" she says, "If you really like it put a ring on it".
But, to answer the question of the OP, I just got my last issue of Java Magazine as well as Oracle Magazines and, from what I can see, the reason NB/Java9 have not been released is because they are polishing Java9 to as close to perfection as possible.
I don't mind waiting a little bit, as long as I get a nice supper, rushing would mean serial for supper again.


On 2017-10-04 12:57 AM, DealeyLama wrote:
You want it?
You need it?
Then help building it! :D


Von Samsung Mobile gesendet


-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------
Von: kenjinboy
Datum:2017.10.02 03:29 (GMT+01:00)
Betreff: [nbusers] Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

It's 2nd Oct now!





-- 
ArbolOne.ca
Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.
ArbolOne is composed of students and volunteers dedicated to providing free services to charitable organizations.
ArbolOne on Java Development in progress [ í ]



--

-- 
ArbolOne.ca
Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.
ArbolOne is composed of students and volunteers dedicated to providing free services to charitable organizations.
ArbolOne on Java Development in progress [ í ]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

kupawlak
In reply to this post by kenjinboy
I'm also interested if NetBeans is still in development. We would like to add the software to our database  https://kubadownload.com/, but we promote only apps that are working and will not stop at some point. Any suggestion?




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com

Indeed, it is under heavy development, read about it here:


And join the project:



Geertjan Wielenga | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +31620320056 | 
Oracle Developer Tools

ORACLE Netherlands | Hertogswetering 163-167 | 3543 AS Utrecht | Netherlands


Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment

On 6 Oct 2017, at 18:16, kupawlak <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm also interested if NetBeans is still in development. We would like to add the software to our database  https://kubadownload.com/, but we promote only apps that are working and will not stop at some point. Any suggestion?





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Thomas Wolf-7
In reply to this post by kupawlak
If you only promote apps that “will not stop at some point”, your list ought to have zero entries as all software will stop being supported “at some point”.

As far as Netbeans is concerned, I believe it has recently been transitioned to become an Apache project.  So it will continue being developed - but how well seems to now depend on the community rather than Sun/Oracle’s past largesse.

Anyway, Netbeans can manage projects that are JDK 9.  Most of the problems seem to come if you actually try to run the IDE itself with JDK 9.

tom

> On Oct 6, 2017, at 12:16 PM, kupawlak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm also interested if NetBeans is still in development. We would like to add the software to our database  https://kubadownload.com/, but we promote only apps that are working and will not stop at some point. Any suggestion?
>
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Nan Null
When Oracle purchased Sun, I was really concern about the their
support for Netbeans.  I did voice my concern.

Look in those 7 years, how many  Netbeans has been released?
Quote from wikipedia:

"NetBeans IDE 7.0 was released in April 2011. On August 1, 2011, the
NetBeans Team released NetBeans IDE 7.0.1, which has full support for
the official release of the Java SE 7 platform.[12]

NetBeans IDE 7.3 was released in February 2013 which added support for
HTML5 and web technologies.[13]

NetBeans IDE 7.4 was released on October 15, 2013.

NetBeans IDE 8.0 was released on March 18, 2014.

NetBeans IDE 8.1 was released on November 4, 2015.

NetBeans IDE 8.2 was released on October 3, 2016."

IntelliJ open projects, build, debug so fast.  I still love Netbeans
ways of things, but it's so slow.  When I  add or remove a Jar, it may
take forever.  Debug, build, etc.  Just impossible to work with.
This is unacceptable.

Geertjan, what would you say about this situation?





On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Thomas Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you only promote apps that “will not stop at some point”, your list ought to have zero entries as all software will stop being supported “at some point”.
>
> As far as Netbeans is concerned, I believe it has recently been transitioned to become an Apache project.  So it will continue being developed - but how well seems to now depend on the community rather than Sun/Oracle’s past largesse.
>
> Anyway, Netbeans can manage projects that are JDK 9.  Most of the problems seem to come if you actually try to run the IDE itself with JDK 9.
>
> tom
>
>> On Oct 6, 2017, at 12:16 PM, kupawlak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm also interested if NetBeans is still in development. We would like to add the software to our database  https://kubadownload.com/, but we promote only apps that are working and will not stop at some point. Any suggestion?
>>
>>
>>
>>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com
I would say you need to stop writing to this mailing list. Don’t write to it, ever again. Instead, join the Apache NetBeans community:


NetBeans is ready for you to use, running on top of JDK 9:



However, in order for NetBeans to be released from Apache, you do need to get involved and doing so is easy:


You can also watch this YouTube clip, which should explain everything:


However, at this stage, if you’re still writing to [hidden email] and not to the Apache NetBeans users mailing list, I don’t think there’s a solution anymore. I have e-mailed dozens of times explaining this, it is announced in dozens of places, we have talked and blogged and explained this situations for over a year now.

Simply put — I give up, if (1) you don’t see that Apache is so much better than Oracle and that (2) you ARE Apache, if YOU don’t get involved, there is NO ONE you can blame anymore.

All the best, and my e-mails to this mailing list are going to become less and less over the coming months. Hope you get the vision of what is going on and, if not, there are many tools out there that you can use where you have nothing to say and where you’re a simple user, as opposed to being an active committer. The time is really coming to an end where you can simply use and complain about tools — you do now need to get involved — and getting involved does not necessarily require much time or effort at all.

Kind regards,



Geertjan Wielenga | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +31620320056 | 
Oracle Developer Tools

ORACLE Netherlands | Hertogswetering 163-167 | 3543 AS Utrecht | Netherlands


Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment

On 8 Oct 2017, at 00:20, Nam Nguyen <[hidden email]> wrote:

When Oracle purchased Sun, I was really concern about the their
support for Netbeans.  I did voice my concern.

Look in those 7 years, how many  Netbeans has been released?
Quote from wikipedia:

"NetBeans IDE 7.0 was released in April 2011. On August 1, 2011, the
NetBeans Team released NetBeans IDE 7.0.1, which has full support for
the official release of the Java SE 7 platform.[12]

NetBeans IDE 7.3 was released in February 2013 which added support for
HTML5 and web technologies.[13]

NetBeans IDE 7.4 was released on October 15, 2013.

NetBeans IDE 8.0 was released on March 18, 2014.

NetBeans IDE 8.1 was released on November 4, 2015.

NetBeans IDE 8.2 was released on October 3, 2016."

IntelliJ open projects, build, debug so fast.  I still love Netbeans
ways of things, but it's so slow.  When I  add or remove a Jar, it may
take forever.  Debug, build, etc.  Just impossible to work with.
This is unacceptable.

Geertjan, what would you say about this situation?





On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Thomas Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you only promote apps that “will not stop at some point”, your list ought to have zero entries as all software will stop being supported “at some point”.

As far as Netbeans is concerned, I believe it has recently been transitioned to become an Apache project.  So it will continue being developed - but how well seems to now depend on the community rather than Sun/Oracle’s past largesse.

Anyway, Netbeans can manage projects that are JDK 9.  Most of the problems seem to come if you actually try to run the IDE itself with JDK 9.

tom

On Oct 6, 2017, at 12:16 PM, kupawlak <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm also interested if NetBeans is still in development. We would like to add the software to our database  https://kubadownload.com/, but we promote only apps that are working and will not stop at some point. Any suggestion?





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Thomas Wolf-7
In reply to this post by Nan Null
What is your point - except to whine?  What does “I voiced my concern” mean?  Were you a shareholder?  If not, you didn’t really have a say in it, so voicing a concern, again, was just pointless whining - it’s not like anyone on the Netbeans Team had any say in the sale to Oracle.

I’ve been using NB since ca. 1999 and continue to find it the most efficient IDE for my needs.  If you prefer IntelliJ - use that by all means!  Especially if you find NB “unacceptable”.  I’m sure the Netbeans team will refund you the money you spent on the IDE.  Just spare us the whining!

regards,
tom

> On Oct 7, 2017, at 6:20 PM, Nam Nguyen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When Oracle purchased Sun, I was really concern about the their
> support for Netbeans.  I did voice my concern.
>
> Look in those 7 years, how many  Netbeans has been released?
> Quote from wikipedia:
>
> "NetBeans IDE 7.0 was released in April 2011. On August 1, 2011, the
> NetBeans Team released NetBeans IDE 7.0.1, which has full support for
> the official release of the Java SE 7 platform.[12]
>
> NetBeans IDE 7.3 was released in February 2013 which added support for
> HTML5 and web technologies.[13]
>
> NetBeans IDE 7.4 was released on October 15, 2013.
>
> NetBeans IDE 8.0 was released on March 18, 2014.
>
> NetBeans IDE 8.1 was released on November 4, 2015.
>
> NetBeans IDE 8.2 was released on October 3, 2016."
>
> IntelliJ open projects, build, debug so fast.  I still love Netbeans
> ways of things, but it's so slow.  When I  add or remove a Jar, it may
> take forever.  Debug, build, etc.  Just impossible to work with.
> This is unacceptable.
>
> Geertjan, what would you say about this situation?
>
>
>
>
>
>> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Thomas Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you only promote apps that “will not stop at some point”, your list ought to have zero entries as all software will stop being supported “at some point”.
>>
>> As far as Netbeans is concerned, I believe it has recently been transitioned to become an Apache project.  So it will continue being developed - but how well seems to now depend on the community rather than Sun/Oracle’s past largesse.
>>
>> Anyway, Netbeans can manage projects that are JDK 9.  Most of the problems seem to come if you actually try to run the IDE itself with JDK 9.
>>
>> tom
>>
>>> On Oct 6, 2017, at 12:16 PM, kupawlak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm also interested if NetBeans is still in development. We would like to add the software to our database  https://kubadownload.com/, but we promote only apps that are working and will not stop at some point. Any suggestion?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Nan Null
Thomas,

Let's keep it civil here.

I did contributed to Netbeans and Java.  My voice of concern mean?
What do you think it means?  It means many things, depending if
actions were taken on it or not.

I did voice my concern as a dream team member.

What could be done?  If back then, some of the elite members or even
Geertjan took different action, it would have been better.
Maybe forking it?  Maybe stir up developers voice to make this Apache
thing happen much faster like Libre office?  Who knows.

By the way, I left the dream team shortly afterward.





On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Thomas Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is your point - except to whine?  What does “I voiced my concern” mean?  Were you a shareholder?  If not, you didn’t really have a say in it, so voicing a concern, again, was just pointless whining - it’s not like anyone on the Netbeans Team had any say in the sale to Oracle.
>
> I’ve been using NB since ca. 1999 and continue to find it the most efficient IDE for my needs.  If you prefer IntelliJ - use that by all means!  Especially if you find NB “unacceptable”.  I’m sure the Netbeans team will refund you the money you spent on the IDE.  Just spare us the whining!
>
> regards,
> tom
>
>> On Oct 7, 2017, at 6:20 PM, Nam Nguyen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> When Oracle purchased Sun, I was really concern about the their
>> support for Netbeans.  I did voice my concern.
>>
>> Look in those 7 years, how many  Netbeans has been released?
>> Quote from wikipedia:
>>
>> "NetBeans IDE 7.0 was released in April 2011. On August 1, 2011, the
>> NetBeans Team released NetBeans IDE 7.0.1, which has full support for
>> the official release of the Java SE 7 platform.[12]
>>
>> NetBeans IDE 7.3 was released in February 2013 which added support for
>> HTML5 and web technologies.[13]
>>
>> NetBeans IDE 7.4 was released on October 15, 2013.
>>
>> NetBeans IDE 8.0 was released on March 18, 2014.
>>
>> NetBeans IDE 8.1 was released on November 4, 2015.
>>
>> NetBeans IDE 8.2 was released on October 3, 2016."
>>
>> IntelliJ open projects, build, debug so fast.  I still love Netbeans
>> ways of things, but it's so slow.  When I  add or remove a Jar, it may
>> take forever.  Debug, build, etc.  Just impossible to work with.
>> This is unacceptable.
>>
>> Geertjan, what would you say about this situation?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Thomas Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> If you only promote apps that “will not stop at some point”, your list ought to have zero entries as all software will stop being supported “at some point”.
>>>
>>> As far as Netbeans is concerned, I believe it has recently been transitioned to become an Apache project.  So it will continue being developed - but how well seems to now depend on the community rather than Sun/Oracle’s past largesse.
>>>
>>> Anyway, Netbeans can manage projects that are JDK 9.  Most of the problems seem to come if you actually try to run the IDE itself with JDK 9.
>>>
>>> tom
>>>
>>>> On Oct 6, 2017, at 12:16 PM, kupawlak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I'm also interested if NetBeans is still in development. We would like to add the software to our database  https://kubadownload.com/, but we promote only apps that are working and will not stop at some point. Any suggestion?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Glenn Holmer-4
In reply to this post by Nan Null
On 10/07/2017 05:20 PM, Nam Nguyen wrote:
> When Oracle purchased Sun, I was really concern about the their
> support for Netbeans.

In that case, you must feel much better now that it's an Apache project.

On the other hand:

> I still love Netbeans ways of things, but it's so slow.  When I  add
> or remove a Jar, it may take forever.  Debug, build, etc.  Just
> impossible to work with. This is unacceptable.

Then what are you doing to help, now that it's an Apache project?

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)
"After the vintage season came the aftermath -- and Cenbe."
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where is the Netbeans 9.0?

Thomas Wolf-7
In reply to this post by Nan Null
I wasn’t trying to be uncivil - but “voicing concern” over something you have no control over (ie the purchase of Sun by Oracle and the direction of Netbeans within Oracle) is simply whining.  While there have been many contributions to the code base over the years, the overwhelming majority of work - this is all just my impression - has always been done by Sun/Oracle employees.   Oracle probably no longer wanted to be involved to this extent and put Netbeans under Apache, hoping NB would become a true community effort.

I’ve always been kind of free-loading off NB.   My contributions have always been just bug reporting (I was a member of something one release but can’t recall what it was called).  I just never had the time and/or patience to learn enough of NB’s underbelly to make a useful contribution.  I think I sometimes wished NB was a commercial product so I could just pay my license fee and that would be my contribution.  I guess that’s IntelliJ.  But I’ve been using NB for almost 20 years now - it’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Anyway, I’m keenly aware of my limited contributions to NB and, thus, try to keep my critiques of it constructive.  I didn’t consider your post very constructive.

tom



> On Oct 8, 2017, at 12:03 AM, Nam Nguyen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thomas,
>
> Let's keep it civil here.
>
> I did contributed to Netbeans and Java.  My voice of concern mean?
> What do you think it means?  It means many things, depending if
> actions were taken on it or not.
>
> I did voice my concern as a dream team member.
>
> What could be done?  If back then, some of the elite members or even
> Geertjan took different action, it would have been better.
> Maybe forking it?  Maybe stir up developers voice to make this Apache
> thing happen much faster like Libre office?  Who knows.
>
> By the way, I left the dream team shortly afterward.
>
>
>
>
>
>> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Thomas Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What is your point - except to whine?  What does “I voiced my concern” mean?  Were you a shareholder?  If not, you didn’t really have a say in it, so voicing a concern, again, was just pointless whining - it’s not like anyone on the Netbeans Team had any say in the sale to Oracle.
>>
>> I’ve been using NB since ca. 1999 and continue to find it the most efficient IDE for my needs.  If you prefer IntelliJ - use that by all means!  Especially if you find NB “unacceptable”.  I’m sure the Netbeans team will refund you the money you spent on the IDE.  Just spare us the whining!
>>
>> regards,
>> tom
>>
>>> On Oct 7, 2017, at 6:20 PM, Nam Nguyen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> When Oracle purchased Sun, I was really concern about the their
>>> support for Netbeans.  I did voice my concern.
>>>
>>> Look in those 7 years, how many  Netbeans has been released?
>>> Quote from wikipedia:
>>>
>>> "NetBeans IDE 7.0 was released in April 2011. On August 1, 2011, the
>>> NetBeans Team released NetBeans IDE 7.0.1, which has full support for
>>> the official release of the Java SE 7 platform.[12]
>>>
>>> NetBeans IDE 7.3 was released in February 2013 which added support for
>>> HTML5 and web technologies.[13]
>>>
>>> NetBeans IDE 7.4 was released on October 15, 2013.
>>>
>>> NetBeans IDE 8.0 was released on March 18, 2014.
>>>
>>> NetBeans IDE 8.1 was released on November 4, 2015.
>>>
>>> NetBeans IDE 8.2 was released on October 3, 2016."
>>>
>>> IntelliJ open projects, build, debug so fast.  I still love Netbeans
>>> ways of things, but it's so slow.  When I  add or remove a Jar, it may
>>> take forever.  Debug, build, etc.  Just impossible to work with.
>>> This is unacceptable.
>>>
>>> Geertjan, what would you say about this situation?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Thomas Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> If you only promote apps that “will not stop at some point”, your list ought to have zero entries as all software will stop being supported “at some point”.
>>>>
>>>> As far as Netbeans is concerned, I believe it has recently been transitioned to become an Apache project.  So it will continue being developed - but how well seems to now depend on the community rather than Sun/Oracle’s past largesse.
>>>>
>>>> Anyway, Netbeans can manage projects that are JDK 9.  Most of the problems seem to come if you actually try to run the IDE itself with JDK 9.
>>>>
>>>> tom
>>>>
>>>>> On Oct 6, 2017, at 12:16 PM, kupawlak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm also interested if NetBeans is still in development. We would like to add the software to our database  https://kubadownload.com/, but we promote only apps that are working and will not stop at some point. Any suggestion?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
12