What's the state of scala and NetBeans?

Brett Ryan
Hi all, I'm changing jobs and require an IDE with strong scala/sbt support. I haven't been using scala with NetBeans for a few years.

Looking again now it seems that the present scala pligin is not compatible with recent NetBeans versions.

What are others doing with scala?

Re: What's the state of scala and NetBeans?

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com
It should be fine, it should work in 8.2.

Gj

> On 19 Aug 2017, at 17:40, Brett Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all, I'm changing jobs and require an IDE with strong scala/sbt support. I haven't been using scala with NetBeans for a few years.
>
> Looking again now it seems that the present scala pligin is not compatible with recent NetBeans versions.
>
> What are others doing with scala?

Re: What's the state of scala and NetBeans?

Brett Ryan
Unfortunately not.

The plugin I am attempting is (nbscala)[1] which has no verification for 8.1 so it does not appear in the 8.2 plugin portal.

If I download this plugin manually and attempt an install I get (the following message)[2]

    The plugin External Execution Base API is required in implementation version 201510222201

Which doesn't allow any installation to continue.

On 20 Aug 2017, at 05:38, [hidden email] wrote:

It should be fine, it should work in 8.2.

Gj

On 19 Aug 2017, at 17:40, Brett Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all, I'm changing jobs and require an IDE with strong scala/sbt support. I haven't been using scala with NetBeans for a few years.

Looking again now it seems that the present scala pligin is not compatible with recent NetBeans versions.

What are others doing with scala?

Re: What's the state of scala and NetBeans?

Simon Roberts
Brett, I'd be thrilled if you'd update the list on your progress. I'm interested in this too, though of necessity it's very much a background project for me. I too failed with the 8.1 plugin in 8.2 but have done no investigation. If you're successful, I'd love to hear what steps you took.

FWIW, I did install the Eclipse Scala plugin (sorry, going to wash my mouth out with soap and water now ;) and while it seems to work at the basic level I've tried so far (approximately hello world and one small class!) it's very very slow (and I have 16Gb supporting an 8 hw-thread i7 processor with SSD, so I don't think it's "my" fault).

Cheers,
Simon

--
Simon Roberts
http://dancingcloudphotography.com
(303) 249 3613

Re: What's the state of scala and NetBeans?

Brett Ryan
Sure will. I'm about 30% through (Programming in Scala)[1] which was co-written by the language designer and have been using IntelliJ for the meantime to get me going.

I have compiled the Scala plugin for NetBeans IDE 8.2 and installed fine, but there's something drastically wrong with it, for the meantime I'm sticking with IntelliJ IDEA which has first class support for Scala out of the box. You can use 8.1 which works with SBT projects created within NetBeans but it doesn't work with official SBT projects or those created in IDEA.

I would prefer to get Scala into NetBeans IDE at some point as IntelliJ while has excellent Scala support really irks me, there's a lot about it that had me swearing, like where configuration settings are and how to set global settings vs project settings.

Once I'm more proficient in Scala I should look to return to NetBeans and possibly contribute to the plugin, though; I suspect a lot more than a few tweaks are in order. From my initial observation it seems patched Scala libs may be included int he plugin which would seem counter intuitive to handling different Scala/SBT versions. Given the project structure seems off it may be something that needs reworking also.

All in all, if you're new to Scala, use IntelliJ, if you're seasoned then look at contributing to the plugin so we can try get Scala devs back into NetBeans IDE.