SystemAction.get method not found

gbullock-2
I'm loving 8.2!

After updating my NBP-based project from NB 8.01 to 8.2, everything builds just fine using my main development machine.  However, opening a copy of the project in NB 8.2 on a separate machine gives a series of red-! icons with errors on source code lines calling SystemAction.get, e.g.,

Code:
        actions.add(SystemAction.get(CopyAction.class));

The build log gives details:

Code:
C:\Users\gbullock\Documents\NetBeansProjects\Ionoview\IonogramNodes\src\com\nwra\ionoview\nodes\DataPointNode.java:67: error: cannot find symbol
        actions.add(SystemAction.get(CopyAction.class));
  symbol:   method get(Class<CopyAction>)
  location: class SystemAction
C:\Users\gbullock\Documents\NetBeansProjects\Ionoview\IonogramNodes\src\com\nwra\ionoview\nodes\DataPointNode.java:68: error: cannot find symbol
        actions.add(SystemAction.get(CutAction.class));
  symbol:   method get(Class<CutAction>)
  location: class SystemAction
C:\Users\gbullock\Documents\NetBeansProjects\Ionoview\IonogramNodes\src\com\nwra\ionoview\nodes\DataPointNode.java:69: error: cannot find symbol
        actions.add(DeleteAction.get(DeleteAction.class));
  symbol:   method get(Class<DeleteAction>)
  location: class DeleteAction

Any idea why these lines build just fine on one machine but give errors on another?

They're both using NB 8.2.  I think all relevant source and project files are present and identical on the two machines, but there's clearly some difference somewhere.  What could it be?

Re: SystemAction.get method not found

Svata Dedic
What are the exact JDK versions on your build machines ?

-S.

Dne 31.10.2016 v 19:46 gbullock napsal(a):

> I'm loving 8.2!
>
> After updating my NBP-based project from NB 8.01 to 8.2, everything builds just fine using my main development machine.  However, opening a copy of the project in NB 8.2 on a separate machine gives a series of red-! icons with errors on source code lines calling SystemAction.get, e.g.,
>

> Code:
>         actions.add(SystemAction.get(CopyAction.class));
>

> The build log gives details:
>
> Code:
> C:\Users\gbullock\Documents\NetBeansProjects\Ionoview\IonogramNodes\src\com\nwra\ionoview\nodes\DataPointNode.java:67: error: cannot find symbol
>         actions.add(SystemAction.get(CopyAction.class));
>   symbol:   method get(Class<CopyAction>)
>   location: class SystemAction
> C:\Users\gbullock\Documents\NetBeansProjects\Ionoview\IonogramNodes\src\com\nwra\ionoview\nodes\DataPointNode.java:68: error: cannot find symbol
>         actions.add(SystemAction.get(CutAction.class));
>   symbol:   method get(Class<CutAction>)
>   location: class SystemAction
> C:\Users\gbullock\Documents\NetBeansProjects\Ionoview\IonogramNodes\src\com\nwra\ionoview\nodes\DataPointNode.java:69: error: cannot find symbol
>         actions.add(DeleteAction.get(DeleteAction.class));
>   symbol:   method get(Class<DeleteAction>)
>   location: class DeleteAction
>

> Any idea why these lines build just fine on one machine but give errors on another?
>
> They're both using NB 8.2.  I think all relevant source and project files are present and identical on the two machines, but there's clearly some difference somewhere.  What could it be?

SystemAction.get method not found

gbullock-2
From the machine with the problematic build:

Code:
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_111\bin>javac -version
javac 1.8.0_111

From the machine with the successful build:

Code:
C:\Program Files\Java\JDK18~1.0_1\bin>javac -version
javac 1.8.0_111

Re: SystemAction.get method not found

Steven Yi
This sometimes happens to me when I build a lone module within a
module suite, rather than building the entire suite.  Have you tried a
clean and rebuild of the entire application?

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Dmitry Avtonomov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you tried deleting nb user directory to give Netbeans a brainwash?
>

> On Nov 4, 2016 07:47, "gbullock" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> From the machine with the problematic build:
>>
>> Code:
>> C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_111\bin>javac -version
>> javac 1.8.0_111
>>

>> From the machine with the successful build:
>>
>> Code:
>> C:\Program Files\Java\JDK18~1.0_1\bin>javac -version
>> javac 1.8.0_111

SystemAction.get method not found

gbullock-2
Thank you for the suggestions. Alas, the problem persists.

I renamed all of the following folders:
         .nbi in the C:\Users\<username> folder,

         .netbeans in the C:\Users\<username> folder,

         8.2 in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Netbeans\Cache folder, and

         8.2 in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Netbeans folder,

and performed a Clean and Build on the project (which rebuilt my required module projects as well).
All of the System.get(...) error messages persist (7 errors in all).

Further suggestions most welcome.

Re: SystemAction.get method not found

Steven Yi
I looked and the only history I see for SystemAction is:

http://hg.netbeans.org/main-silver/log/813b4d319160/openide.util.ui/src/org/openide/util/actions/SystemAction.java
http://hg.netbeans.org/main-silver/diff/6d0e84b1f867/openide.util.ui/src/org/openide/util/actions/SystemAction.java
http://hg.netbeans.org/main-silver/rev/6d0e84b1f867

which says the file was from the openide.util module to the openide.util.ui.

That is possibly a hint?  Maybe check that the settings for the module
you are compiling on the two systems that they're using the same
library versions?

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 3:03 PM, gbullock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestions. Alas, the problem persists.
>
> I renamed all of the following folders:
>          .nbi in the C:\Users\<username> folder,
>
>          .netbeans in the C:\Users\<username> folder,
>
>          8.2 in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Netbeans\Cache folder, and
>
>          8.2 in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Netbeans folder,
>

> and performed a Clean and Build on the project (which rebuilt my required module projects as well).
> All of the System.get(...) error messages persist (7 errors in all).
>
> Further suggestions most welcome.

SystemAction.get method not found

gbullock-2
Thank you for additional ideas.  The problem is now solved.  :D

I first tried, but it did not help, uninstalling all versions of NetBeans and deleting their associated personal folders.

What finally solved the problem was to delete my project folders altogether and check them out fresh from the repository.  Previously, I had only updated from the repository, and apparently that left some residue from prior builds with earlier versions of NetBeans.

Thank you all for the suggestions.