Still not receiving any emails from this list

Still not receiving any emails from this list

rexbroo

I'm concerned that I can poost messages here, but I am not receiving any message from here. I subscribed a second and a third time to see if that would make a difference. It didn't. I deleted the filter and subfolder for nbusers in my email client, Thunderbird, but that also doesn't make a difference. Any ideas? I have been browsing the list archive and I can reoply to any responses anyone cares to make. One way or another, I'm hoping to get some help with my NetBeans development project.

As I've said, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Rex

--
Rex Brooks
Starbourne Communications Design
Berkeley, CA 94702
Phone: 510-898-0670

Re: Still not receiving any emails from this list

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com
Well, the e-mail came through and there’s no problem there.

Just ask your question, happy to help.

Thanks,

Geertjan Wielenga | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +31620320056 |
Oracle Developer Tools

ORACLE Netherlands | Hertogswetering 163-167 | 3543 AS Utrecht | Netherlands

On 7 Sep 2017, at 18:52, rexbroo <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Just send your questions, ket;s answer them

Or use Twitter, Facebook, Stackoverflow, or whatever works for you.

Thanks,

Geertjan Wielenga | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +31620320056 |
Oracle Developer Tools

ORACLE Netherlands | Hertogswetering 163-167 | 3543 AS Utrecht | Netherlands

On 7 Sep 2017, at 22:12, [hidden email] wrote:

Thanks for the response, Geertjan,

It shows that someone is paying attention, and that's a step in the
right direction. But I'm not quite sure what you're saying by sending
back to me the post I made in html format. I see that other posters
than me have their posts in html format, and they seem to share the
inclusion of images that my Chrome web client doesn't display.

If there are rules I can follow, I'd be happy to do so, but for now I
still am not receiving emails from this list. I'm just monitoring these
archives, hoping someone at least takes a look at the problem I posted.

Thanks,
Rex

Rex

Re: Still not receiving any emails from this list

Really hard to parse through all of this to try to understand what the question is — can you bring it down to one or two sentences? Or provide steps to reproduce? Or maybe we can try to look at it together on Skype (I am ‘geertjanwielenga’ there)?

It sounds to me like you’re having a problem with a specific tutorial that may be out of date — you can see that the document you refer to (https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/javaee/ecommerce/intro.html) was written for NetBeans IDR 6.8/6.9, for example.

Thanks,

Geertjan Wielenga | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +31620320056 |
Oracle Developer Tools

ORACLE Netherlands | Hertogswetering 163-167 | 3543 AS Utrecht | Netherlands

On 8 Sep 2017, at 18:00, [hidden email] wrote:

Thanks Geertjan,

Here's the problem.

I'm developing a set of parallel reference implementations of several
OASIS Emergency Data Exchange Language (EDXL) specifications based on
the NetBeans E-Commerce Tutorial (
https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/javaee/ecommerce/intro.html ).

I'm having a problem going from the JSTL-based stage of development
(Section 6. Connecting the Application to the Database) to the Entity
Classes & Session Beans Persistence Unit-based stage.(Section 7. Adding
Entity Classes and Session Beans).

edxl-cap-v1_2-refimp-Stage3_3-category.jsp  (Uses JSTL, works
correctly)

<%@taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"%>
<%@taglib prefix="sql" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/sql"%>

<%--
   Document   : category
   Created on : May 29, 2017, 8:21:24 AM
   Author     : rexbrooks
--%>

<sql:query var="categories" dataSource="jdbc/edxl_cap_v1_2_refimp">
   SELECT * FROM category
</sql:query>

<sql:query var="selectedCategory"
dataSource="jdbc/edxl_cap_v1_2_refimp">
   SELECT name FROM category WHERE id = ?
   <sql:param value="${pageContext.request.queryString}"/>
</sql:query>

<sql:query var="elements" dataSource="jdbc/edxl_cap_v1_2_refimp">
   SELECT * FROM element
</sql:query>

<sql:query var="selectedElement"
dataSource="jdbc/edxl_cap_v1_2_refimp">
   SELECT name FROM element WHERE id = ?
   <sql:param value="${pageContext.request.queryString}"/>
</sql:query>

<sql:query var="categoryElements"
dataSource="jdbc/edxl_cap_v1_2_refimp">
   SELECT * FROM element WHERE category_id = ?
   <sql:param value="${pageContext.request.queryString}"/>
</sql:query>

<sql:query var="elementDatatypes"
dataSource="jdbc/edxl_cap_v1_2_refimp">
   SELECT * FROM element WHERE datatype = ?
   <sql:param value="${pageContext.request.queryString}"/>
</sql:query>

<sql:query var="elementDatatypes"
dataSource="jdbc/edxl_cap_v1_2_refimp">
   SELECT * FROM element WHERE datatype_size = ?
   <sql:param value="${pageContext.request.queryString}"/>
</sql:query>

    <c:forEach var="category" items="${categories.rows}">

<c:choose>
    <c:when test="${category.id ==
pageContext.request.queryString}">
${category.name}
    </c:when>
    <c:otherwise>
class="edxlButton">
${category.name}
</a>
    </c:otherwise>
</c:choose>

    </c:forEach>

id="edxlCategoryTitle">${selectedCategory.rows[0].name}</p>

style="font-size:x-small;padding:2px;text-align:center">repeat button
is for multiple-use elements. * = required</p>

<form action="reviewCategory" method="post">
    <input type="hidden"
    name="categoryId"
    value="${ReviewCategory.id}">
    <input type="submit"
    value="review category">
</form>

    <c:forEach var="element"
items="${categoryElements.rows}" varStatus="iter">

'lightBlue' : 'white'}">
<input type="checkbox"
name="start">start
&nbsp;&nbsp;element:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; ${element.name}
<c:choose>
    <c:when test="${element.required ==
1}">
 *
    </c:when>
    <c:otherwise>&nbsp;&nbsp;
    </c:otherwise>
</c:choose>
&nbsp;&nbsp;

<%--<c:forEach var="element"
items="${elements.rows}">--%>

    <c:choose>
    <%--<c:when
test="${element.datatype == ENUM}">
class="edxlDropdownButton" id="selectedElement">
//script to retrieve
values from ENUM datatype of selectedElement
${ENUM(values) =
select(options)}
//to populate drop-down
list
class="smallText">
    Select&nbsp;
${element.name}
    <select
name="selectedElement" id="element.id">
<option
value=""></option>
<co:forEach
items="${element}" var="value">

<option>${value}</option>
</co:forEach>
</>
    </select>--%>

<c:when test="${element.name ==
'status'}">
<%--<div
class="edxlDropDownButton" id="selectedElement">
class="smallText">--%>
    Select&nbsp; status
    <select
name="status">

<option>Actual</option>

<option>Exercise</option>

<option>System</option>

<option>Test</option>

<option>Draft</option>
    </select>
    <%--</span>
</c:when>
<c:when test="${element.name ==
'msgType'}">
<%--<div
class="edxlDropDownButton" id="selectedElement">
class="smallText">--%>
    Select&nbsp;
msgType
    <select
name="msgType">

<option>Alert</option>

<option>Update</option>

<option>Cancel</option>

<option>Ack</option>

<option>Error</option>
    </select>
    <%--</span>
</c:when>
<c:when test="${element.name ==
'scope'}">
<%--<div
class="edxlDropDownButton" id="selectedElement">
class="smallText">--%>
    Select&nbsp; scope
    <select
name="scope">

<option>Public</option>

<option>Restricted</option>

<option>Private</option>
    </select>
    <%--</span>
</c:when>
<c:when test="${element.name ==
'category'}">
<%--<div
class="edxlDropDownButton" id="selectedElement">
class="smallText">--%>
    Select&nbsp;
category
    <select
name="category">

<option>Geo</option>

<option>Met</option>

<option>Safety</option>

<option>Security</option>

<option>Rescue</option>

<option>Fire</option>

<option>Health</option>

<option>Env</option>

<option>Transport</option>

<option>Infra</option>

<option>CBRNE</option>

<option>Other</option>
    </select>
    <%--</span>
</c:when>
<c:when test="${element.name ==
'responseType'}">
<%--<div
class="edxlDropDownButton" id="selectedElement">
class="smallText">--%>
    Select&nbsp;
responseType
    <select
name="responseType">

<option>Shelter</option>

<option>Evacuate</option>

<option>Prepare</option>

<option>Execute</option>

<option>Avoid</option>

<option>Monitor</option>

<option>Assess</option>

<option>AllClear</option>

<option>None</option>
    </select>
    <%--</span>
</c:when>
<c:when test="${element.name ==
'urgency'}">
<%--<div
class="edxlDropDownButton" id="selectedElement">
class="smallText">--%>
    Select&nbsp;
urgency
    <select
name="urgency">

<option>Immediate</option>

<option>Expected</option>

<option>Future</option>

<option>Past</option>

<option>Unknown</option>
    </select>
    <%--</span>
</c:when>
<c:when test="${element.name ==
'severity'}">
<%--<div
class="edxlDropDownButton" id="selectedElement">
class="smallText">--%>
    Select&nbsp;
severity
    <select
name="severity">

<option>Extreme</option>

<option>Severe</option>

<option>Moderate</option>

<option>Minor</option>

<option>Unknown</option>
    </select>
    <%--</span>
</c:when>
<c:when test="${element.name ==
'certainty'}">
<%--<div
class="edxlDropDownButton" id="selectedElement">
class="smallText">--%>
    Select&nbsp;
certainty
    <select
name="certainty">

<option>Observed</option>

<option>Likely</option>

<option>Possible</option>

<option>Unlikely</option>

<option>Unknown</option>
    </select>
    <%--</span>
</c:when>
<c:otherwise>
    <c:choose>
<c:when
test="${element.datatype_size < 49}">
    <%--<div
class="edxlTextInputButton" id="selectedElement">--%>
class="smallText">Enter ${element.name} value
    <input
type="text" name="elementValue" value="" size="25" />
<%--</div>--%>
</c:when>
<c:otherwise>
<%--<div
class="edxlTextInputButton" id="selectedElement">--%>
class="smallText">Enter ${element.name} value
    <textarea
name="elementValue" rows="3" cols="25">
    </textarea>
<%--</div>--%>
</c:otherwise>
    </c:choose>
</c:otherwise>
    </c:choose>

    <%--</c:forEach>--%>

<%--<c:forEach var="element"
items="${elements.rows}">--%>

    <c:choose>
<c:when test="${element.repeatable ==
1}">
    <input type="radio"
name="repeatElement" value="" />&nbsp;repeat
</c:when>
<c:otherwise>&nbsp;&nbsp;
</c:otherwise>
    </c:choose>

<%--</c:forEach>--%>
    <form action="addElement" method="post">
<input type="hidden"
       name="elementId"
       value="${element.id}">
<input type="submit"
       value="add element">
    </form>
    <%--</c:choose>--%>

    </c:forEach>

    <form action="reviewCategory" method="post">
<input type="hidden"
name="categoryId"
value="${category.id}">
<input type="submit"
value="review category">
    </form>

categry page with element rows displays corectly

edxl-cap-v1_2-refimp-Stage3_3-category1pg.png (The page displays
correctly above)
Here's the Controller Servlet:
edxl-cap-v1_2-refimp-Stage3_3-ControllerServlet.java

/*
* To change this license header, choose License Headers in Project
Properties.
* To change this template file, choose Tools | Templates
* and open the template in the editor.
*/

package controller;

import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.PrintWriter;
import javax.servlet.ServletException;
import javax.servlet.annotation.WebServlet;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;

/**
*
* @author rexbrooks
*/
@WebServlet(name="ControllerServlet",
loadOnStartup = 1,
urlPatterns={"/category",
     "/reviewMessage",
     "/assembleDE-CAP",
     "/approveDE-CAP",
     "/addElement",
     "/repeatElement",
     "/confirmElement",
     "/confirmCategory",
     "/returnToCategory",
     "/proceedToAssembleDE-CAP",
     "/confirmDE",
     "/confirmCAP",
     "/proceedToApproveDE-CAP",
     "/approveDE-CAPMessage",
     "/chooseLanguage"})
public class ControllerServlet extends HttpServlet {

   /**
    * Handles the HTTP <code>GET</code> method.
    * @param request servlet request
    * @param response servlet response
    * @throws ServletException if a servlet-specific error occurs
    * @throws IOException if an I/O error occurs
    */
   @Override
   protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response)
   throws ServletException, IOException {

String userPath = request.getServletPath();

// if category page is requested
if (userPath.equals("/category")) {
    // TODO: Implement category request

// if returnToCategory page is called
} else if (userPath.equals("/returnToCategory")) {
    // TODO: Implement return to category page request

// if reviewMessage page is requested
} else if (userPath.equals("/reviewMessage")) {
    // TODO: Implement cart page request

    userPath = "/reviewMessage";

// if assembleDE-CAP page is requested
} else if (userPath.equals("/assembleDE-CAP")) {
    // TODO: Implement checkout page request

// if proceedToAssembleDE-CAP page is requested
} else if (userPath.equals("/proceedToAssembleDE-CAP")) {
    // TODO: Implement proceed to assemble DE-CAP page request

// if approveDE-CAP page is requested
} else if (userPath.equals("/approveDE-CAP")) {
    // TODO: Implement approve page request

// if proceedToApproveDE-CAP page is requested
} else if (userPath.equals("/proceedToApproveDE-CAP")) {
    // TODO: Implement proceed to approve DE-CAP page request

// if user switches language
} else if (userPath.equals("/chooseLanguage")) {
    // TODO: Implement language request

}

// use RequestDispatcher to forward request internally
String url = "/WEB-INF/view" + userPath + ".jsp";

try {
    request.getRequestDispatcher(url).forward(request,
response);
} catch (Exception ex) {
    ex.printStackTrace();
}
   }

   /**
    * Handles the HTTP <code>POST</code> method.
    * @param request servlet request
    * @param response servlet response
    * @throws ServletException if a servlet-specific error occurs
    * @throws IOException if an I/O error occurs
    */
   @Override
   protected void doPost(HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response)
   throws ServletException, IOException {

String userPath = request.getServletPath();

// if addElement action is called
if (userPath.equals("/addElement")) {
    // TODO: Implement add product to cart action

// if repeatElement action is called
} else if (userPath.equals("/repeatElement")) {
    // TODO: Implement repeat element action

// if confirmElement action is called
} else if (userPath.equals("/confirmElement")) {
    // TODO: Implement confirm element action

// if confirmCategory action is called
} else if (userPath.equals("/confirmCategory")) {
    // TODO: Implement return to confirm category action

// if confirmDE action is called
} else if (userPath.equals("/confirmDE")) {
    // TODO: Implement confirm DE action

// if confirmCAP action is called
} else if (userPath.equals("/confirmCAP")) {
    // TODO: Implement confirm CAP action

// if approveDE-CAPMessage action is called
} else if (userPath.equals("/approveDE-CAPMessage")) {
    // TODO: Implement approve DE-CAP message action

    userPath = "/approveDE-CAPMessage";
}

// use RequestDispatcher to forward request internally
String url = "/WEB-INF/view" + userPath + ".jsp";

try {
    request.getRequestDispatcher(url).forward(request,
response);
} catch (Exception ex) {
    ex.printStackTrace();
}
   }

}

edxl-cap-v1_2-refimp-Stage3_5-category.jsp (Uses Entity Classes &
Session Beans but doesn't work correctly-table rows don't display
because the rows are not processed)

[...]

items="${categoryElements}" varStatus="iter">

[...]

category page doesn'r display rows of form

edxl-cap-v1_2-refimp-Stage3_5-category1pg.png (The contents of the
table don't display and are not processed)
edxl-cap-v1_2-refimp-Stage3_5-ControllerServlet.java

/*
* To change this license header, choose License Headers in Project
Properties.
* To change this template file, choose Tools | Templates
* and open the template in the editor.
*/

package controller;

import entity.Category;
import entity.Element;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.PrintWriter;
import java.util.Collection;
import javax.ejb.EJB;
import javax.servlet.ServletException;
import javax.servlet.annotation.WebServlet;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;
import session.CategoryFacade;

/**
*
* @author rexbrooks
*/
@WebServlet(name="ControllerServlet",
loadOnStartup = 1,
urlPatterns={"/category",
     "/reviewMessage",
     "/assembleDE-CAP",
     "/approveDE-CAP",
     "/addElement",
     "/repeatElement",
     "/confirmElement",
     "/reviewCategory",
     "/confirmCategory",
     "/returnToCategory",
     "/proceedToAssembleDE-CAP",
     "/confirmDE",
     "/confirmCAP",
     "/proceedToApproveDE-CAP",
     "/approveDE-CAPMessage",
     "/chooseLanguage"})
public class ControllerServlet extends HttpServlet {

   @EJB
   private CategoryFacade categoryFacade;

   @Override

// store category list in servlet context
getServletContext().setAttribute("categories",
categoryFacade.findAll());
   }

   /**
    * Handles the HTTP <code>GET</code> method.
    * @param request servlet request
    * @param response servlet response
    * @throws ServletException if a servlet-specific error occurs
    * @throws IOException if an I/O error occurs
    */
   @Override
   protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response)
   throws ServletException, IOException {

String userPath = request.getServletPath();
Category selectedCategory;
Collection<Element> categoryElements;

// if category page is requested
if (userPath.equals("/category")) {

    // get categoryId from request
    String categoryId = request.getQueryString();

    if (categoryId != null) {

// get selected category
selectedCategory =
categoryFacade.find(Integer.parseInt(categoryId));

// place selected category in request scope
request.setAttribute("selectedCategory",
selectedCategory);

// get all elements for selected category
categoryElements = (Collection<Element>)
selectedCategory.getElementCollection();

// place category elements in request scope
request.setAttribute("categoryElements",
categoryElements);

    }

[...]

Stage3_3 uses JSTL and works fine as the png screen shot shows the
table correctly

Stage 3_5 commented out the JSTL, added entity classes and session
beans per the tutorial and runs successfully except the table doesn't
display any rows. I ran the debugger with a breakpoint just past the
start of the table section at the line:
<c:forEach var="element" items="${categoryElements}" varStatus="iter">

and stepped into that line and saw that the program immediately dropped
out at the line:
</c:forEach>

just before the end tag of the table.. Version 3_3 works fine and
processes all lines. Version 3_5 jumps as noted, but i don't know why.

Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Originally I included two screen shots of the display but they didn't
display so you can see that the table is there--just empty.

Regards,
Rex