Saving and recalling window/mode layouts?

Saving and recalling window/mode layouts?

Mark J. Koch

I have a feature request for our app where the user would be able to
reconfigure the TopComponents, sliding them wherever they want.  Right
now NetBeans does that and remembers the window configuration from the
previous run.   But what we want to do is let the user Save the current
window layout, give it a name, and be able to recall it from a list of
saved layouts.

The barrier I see at the moment is that when the user starts sliding
windows around, new "Anonymous" modes are created.  But the API does not
allow us to programatically create new modes.  It seems that Modes must
be pre-defined in the layer.xml at build time.

We've been able to create pre-defined layouts that we can load as
needed.  But how might we capture a user configured layout and bring it
back on demand?

Any ideas or pointers?

Mark

Re: Saving and recalling window/mode layouts?

Geertjan Wielenga-3
On 11/22/2012 12:15 AM, Mark J. Koch wrote:

> I have a feature request for our app where the user would be able to
> reconfigure the TopComponents, sliding them wherever they want.  Right
> now NetBeans does that and remembers the window configuration from the
> previous run.   But what we want to do is let the user Save the
> current window layout, give it a name, and be able to recall it from a
> list of saved layouts.
>
> The barrier I see at the moment is that when the user starts sliding
> windows around, new "Anonymous" modes are created.  But the API does
> not allow us to programatically create new modes.  It seems that Modes
> must be pre-defined in the layer.xml at build time.
>
> We've been able to create pre-defined layouts that we can load as
> needed.  But how might we capture a user configured layout and bring
> it back on demand?
>

> Any ideas or pointers?
>
> Mark

Do some research "roles", which is a newish concept in the NetBeans
Platform.

https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/entry/roles_profiles_perspectives_in_netbeans

Re: Saving and recalling window/mode layouts?

Benno Markiewicz

Look for perspective/mode.

http://netbeans.dzone.com/articles/netbeans-71-review-nbplatform

http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/3273/perspective

Greetings markiewb

Am 22.11.2012 00:15 schrieb "Mark J. Koch" <[hidden email]>:

I have a feature request for our app where the user would be able to reconfigure the TopComponents, sliding them wherever they want.  Right now NetBeans does that and remembers the window configuration from the previous run.   But what we want to do is let the user Save the current window layout, give it a name, and be able to recall it from a list of saved layouts.

The barrier I see at the moment is that when the user starts sliding windows around, new "Anonymous" modes are created.  But the API does not allow us to programatically create new modes.  It seems that Modes must be pre-defined in the layer.xml at build time.

We've been able to create pre-defined layouts that we can load as needed.  But how might we capture a user configured layout and bring it back on demand?

Any ideas or pointers?

Mark

Re: Saving and recalling window/mode layouts?

Mark Phipps
Hi all,

I am porting our application to the NetBeans platform with great
success, however I have come across this show-stopping problem.

For a number of good reasons, our application allows the user to
manipulate panels of various kinds and then save the layout as a named
configuration, which can be recalled at any time. This is not a
complicated scenario.

The problem I have is the same as Mark J Koch described back in 2012,
where the "Anonymous" modes that are generated when the user moves
TopComponents around, cannot be re-created. Nor can a TopComponent be
dragged onto a predefined mode that is not currently showing.

The "Role" and "Group" concepts in Netbeans are just not flexible
enough, because these predefine what the user will see.

I can programatically find the modes that my TopComponents are in.
Dragging a TopComponent to a different location creates an "Anonymous"
mode, so there is certainly a mechanism inside the platform which does
this but why can we not access this through the api?

Thanks
Mark Phipps

On 21/11/12 23:19, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> On 11/22/2012 12:15 AM, Mark J. Koch wrote:
>>
>> I have a feature request for our app where the user would be able to
>> reconfigure the TopComponents, sliding them wherever they want.
>> Right now NetBeans does that and remembers the window configuration
>> from the previous run. But what we want to do is let the user Save
>> the current window layout, give it a name, and be able to recall it
>> from a list of saved layouts.
>>
>> The barrier I see at the moment is that when the user starts sliding
>> windows around, new "Anonymous" modes are created. But the API does
>> not allow us to programatically create new modes. It seems that Modes
>> must be pre-defined in the layer.xml at build time.
>>
>> We've been able to create pre-defined layouts that we can load as
>> needed. But how might we capture a user configured layout and bring
>> it back on demand?
>>

>> Any ideas or pointers?
>>
>> Mark
>>
> Do some research "roles", which is a newish concept in the NetBeans
> Platform.
>
> https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/entry/roles_profiles_perspectives_in_netbeans
>

> Gj

www.sucdenfinancial.com

Sucden Financial Limited, Plantation Place South, 60 Great Tower Street, London EC3R 5AZ
Telephone +44 203 207 5000

Registered in England no. 1095841
VAT registration no. GB 446 9061 33

Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and entered in the FCA register under no. 114239

This email, including any files transmitted with it, is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify [hidden email] immediately and delete it from your computer system.

We believe, but do not warrant, that this email and its attachments are virus-free, but you should check.

Sucden Financial Limited may monitor traffic data of both business and personal emails. By replying to this email, you consent to Sucden Financial's monitoring the content of any emails you send to or receive from Sucden Financial. Sucden Financial is not liable for any opinions expressed by the sender where this is a non-business email.

The contents of this e-mail do not constitute advice and should not be regarded as a recommendation to buy, sell or otherwise deal with any particular investment.Where any trade ideas are made by an employee of Sucden Financial in an electronic communication, these are made incidentally to your dealing relationship with us and are provided solely to enable you to make your own investment decisions and do not amount to advice. Please note that the employee may have had many, varied trade ideas over the past 12 months, including contrary ideas. Any trade ideas are solely based on the employee’s market knowledge and experience and may not be tailored to your specific circumstances or investment objectives. Please contact the employee who made the trade idea if you would like to see any of his/her trade ideas made in the previous 12 months for comparative purposes. Please visit our website to view our full risk warnings and disclaimers: www.sucdenfinancial.com

This message has been scanned for viruses by Mimecast