Re: NetBeans Editor

Petr Nejedlý-3
Adrian Tarau wrote:

> Is it possible to integrate NetBeans Editor in a custom Java
> application and If yes, Sun Public License allows that?

The short answer to both is yes.
The long answer is that the NetBeans editor (generic part) is mostly NB
independent
(needs only few classes from openide), but individual editor
implementations for individual
languages (or some of their features) are much more dependent on the
rest of the IDE.
The most clear example is the java completion, which needs half of the
IDE to work
the way it works in the IDE (java support, JMI, MDR, projects APIs, ...)

--
Petr "Nenik" Nejedly, NetBeans/Sun Microsystems, http://www.netbeans.org
355/113 -- Not the famous irrational number PI, but an incredible simulation!

RE: NetBeans Editor

Adrian Tarau-2
Thanks for your quick answer.

That's ok if there are some dependencies, because I can take all
dependencies and during deploy with an obfuscator/shrinker I can remove
a lots of classes, and the idea is that I don't need all the
functionality for java language, for example, what I need is the editor
with syntax highlight, folding and maybe some code completion.

I will need it for Java, XML, JavaScript and maybe some other scripting
languages.

Is the API flexible to allow to instantiate the editor without having
the NetBeans main window(I know that has a window manager or something)?

> Is it possible to integrate NetBeans Editor in a custom Java
> application and If yes, Sun Public License allows that?

The short answer to both is yes.
The long answer is that the NetBeans editor (generic part) is mostly NB
independent
(needs only few classes from openide), but individual editor
implementations for individual
languages (or some of their features) are much more dependent on the
rest of the IDE.
The most clear example is the java completion, which needs half of the
IDE to work
the way it works in the IDE (java support, JMI, MDR, projects APIs, ...)

--
Petr "Nenik" Nejedly, NetBeans/Sun Microsystems, http://www.netbeans.org
355/113 -- Not the famous irrational number PI, but an incredible
simulation!

Re: NetBeans Editor

Petr Nejedlý-3
Adrian Tarau wrote:

>Thanks for your quick answer.
>
>That's ok if there are some dependencies, because I can take all
>dependencies and during deploy with an obfuscator/shrinker I can remove
>a lots of classes, and the idea is that I don't need all the
>functionality for java language, for example, what I need is the editor
>with syntax highlight, folding and maybe some code completion.
>
>I will need it for Java, XML, JavaScript and maybe some other scripting
>languages.
>
>Is the API flexible to allow to instantiate the editor without having
>the NetBeans main window(I know that has a window manager or something)?

Yes, the editor code doesn't care about windowing at all. It is mostly
an editor kit with custom editor component.
Try checking out editor/demosrc from NB CVS. The code may be outdated,
but you'll get the idea. If you check out the rest of the editor with some
older timestamp (like 3 years back ;-), it might even compile and work.

--
Petr "Nenik" Nejedly, NetBeans/Sun Microsystems, http://www.netbeans.org
355/113 -- Not the famous irrational number PI, but an incredible simulation!

RE: NetBeans Editor

Adrian Tarau-2
Thanks. I will try to integrate it, and I will post here possible
problems(I will start with 4.2 to have the latest features) and if I
succeed, of course. :)