Netbeans installation error on Linux - encoding

Netbeans installation error on Linux - encoding

alex_b34
When, in Linux, I click in the netbeans sh file for install I receive the message "Could not open the file /home/........netbeans-8.2-linux.sh."

gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding. Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file. Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.

defautl option is autodetect. If I choose current locale UTF-8 or Western and click retry I receive the same error message

Help?

Netbeans installation error on Linux - encoding

tkellerer

alex_b34 wrote:
> When, in Linux, I click in the netbeans sh file for install I receive the message "Could not open the file /home/........netbeans-8.2-linux.sh."
>
> gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding. Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file. Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.
>
> default option is autodetect. If I choose current locale UTF-8 or Western and click retry I receive the same error message
>
> Help?

Is that script executable?
The shell also burps on scripts having Windows line endings (CR/LF) instead of Linux line endings (LF). You should check that as well.

Netbeans installation error on Linux - encoding

alex_b34
Not sure I undretsand your question, I am rather a beginner in coding, but I did everything by the book: downloaded the sh file from netbeans website and doubleclicked on it for install

alex_b34 wrote:
> Not sure I undretsand your question, I am rather a beginner in coding, but I did everything by the book: downloaded the sh file from netbeans website and doubleclicked on it for install

Then most probably you need to make that an executable file, e.g.

Code:
chmod u+x netbeans-8.2-linux.sh