Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

falconsfan
Recently Windows did a major update on my system, took over an hour.  Now when I try to run Netbeans it keeps crashing.

It loads fine, and it works fine if I select a project from the list of recent projects, but if I try to open a project it just disappears as soon as I click on "Open Project"  Same thing happens when I try to create a new project.  It goes through the steps ok until I click the browse button to tell net beans the directory of the project I want to create.

I've tried to uninstall Netbeans but it won't uninstall.  A popup box displays with "Configuring the installer" with a blue progress bar.  When the progress bar fills the box all the way to the right the box just disappears.  Same thing happens when I try to just install Netbeans.

I use Netbeans heavily for my development and am in dire need to get this working again.

Here is some information:

Netbeans 8.2
Windows 10 Home
Version 1703
Build 15063.138
Processor - AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.20 GHz
Installed Ram - 8.00 GB (7.40 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Manufacturer - HP

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

xhansx
Same problem here.

Is the installation program producing minidumps (in the directory where the (un)install proram resides (probably c:\windows\system32)?

The dumps start with:
#
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0000000068046adf, pid=3408, tid=0x00000000000013d8
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_131-b11) (build 1.8.0_131-b11)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.131-b11 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [msvcr100.dll+0x36adf]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

I think it is hardware related, probably the GPU. Do you use an NVidia GPU?
Maybe it's the combination hardware/Windows anniversary update, but it is not the windows update per se, because only one of my pc's is affected.

Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

falconsfan
#
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0000000077366adf, pid=10268, tid=0x0000000000000c28
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_101-b13) (build 1.8.0_101-b13)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.101-b13 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [msvcr100.dll+0x36adf]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

giovstef75
You've got the godmode folder under c:?
That should be the problem.
Just remove it.

Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

falconsfan
I don't have a GodMode folder under C:/

Re: Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

Martin Balin-2
Hello,
This is not the 1st message about the crash. Is it Windows 10 after
installing Creators Update? What NB version and JDK version?
Thanks' Martin

On 4.5.2017 12:14, giovstef75 wrote:
> You've got the godmode folder under c:?
> That should be the problem.
> Just remove it.

Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

Lukasz
I'm having the same problem on Windows 10 and NetBeans 8.2. All windows updates installed, tried several versions of msvcr100.dll.
Computer's specification:
Toshiba Satellite L855-10U
3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor
AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M Graphics
Ccomputer was supplied with Windows 7 which were updated to Windows 10.

I cannot uninstall or reinstall NetBeans (operations when You have to choose folder are not working).

Do You have any solution? NetBeans running in VM on Debian is a walkaround but not a solution.

Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

xhansx
I did have a GodMode folder on my desktop (C:\users\...) and moved it to my D-partition.

And strangely enough I was able to install Netbeans 8.2 afterwards.

@giovstef75: Any idea why this trick helps? Could be helpful for the others.

Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

digitaltoast

giovstef75 wrote:
> You've got the godmode folder under c:?
> That should be the problem.
> Just remove it.
That was it! My Godmode folder was on Desktop.
Deleted it, and now Netbeans does not crash on "save as" and can also be un/installed. Thanks!
Should I file a "proper" bug report or has someone already done this?

Re: Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

Sean Carrick-4
Lukasz,

Hopefully, someone will be able to help you with this issue better than
I am able.

However, my solution would be to dump Windows, especially Windows 10.
Never have had much luck with developing on Windows since way back in
the long ago days of WFW 3.11/NT 3.51, so I moved to Linux with Red Hat
5.2 and have had much greater experiences.

Best of luck to you.

Sean Carrick
VP Information Systems
Integrity Solutions
www.is2300.com

On Sat, 2017-05-06 at 11:35 +0000, Lukasz wrote:

> I'm having the same problem on Windows 10 and NetBeans 8.2. All
> windows updates installed, tried several versions of msvcr100.dll.
> Computer's specification:
> Toshiba Satellite L855-10U
> 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor
> AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M Graphics
> Ccomputer was supplied with Windows 7 which were updated to Windows
> 10.
>
> I cannot uninstall or reinstall NetBeans (operations when You have to
> choose folder are not working).
>
> Do You have any solution? NetBeans running in VM on Debian is a
> walkaround but not a solution.

Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

falconsfan
As stated previously, I did not have a /GodMode.  I decided to create one by creating a new folder and pasting "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" in as the folder name.

Next I tried to use Netbeans but it still crashed when I tried to open a folder or when I tried to uninstall or update.

Then I deleted /GodMode and now Netbeans works fine, no issues.  Go figure!

Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

giovstef75
I've just found this bug report, and I gave it a try...

Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

jonaritz
Remoiving GOD mode from my desktop did the trick

Thanks!

Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

Lisar
GodMode REMOVIE HAS WORKED... BEFORE I HAS FATAL ERROR.

Netbeans Crashes Since Windows Update

cdburke
This also fixed my issue, which was Netbeans suddenly crashing to desktop when trying to add a jar or folder to the libraries panel.