Netbeans Can't start projects

JeffCyr
So I just installed netbeans ide. I have java's latest SDK and JRE installed for my 64 windows 7 os.

While trying to learn to code for Java I'm following the tutorials which say to go to file, click on "Start new project" which I click and nothing happens. I can click it countless times, restart the application, the computer, run in admin, nothing happens. I go to options and that doesn't open either, I can't open any of the "windows" tab's options either. So what's going on?

Windows 7 64bit.

Re: Netbeans Can't start projects

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com
Which version of NetBeans and which version of the JDK?

Go to the About dialog (under Help on PC and Linux and under NetBeans under OSX). What do you see there?

Copy and paste the content, e.g.:

Product Version: NetBeans IDE 8.2 (Build 201609300101)
Updates: NetBeans IDE is updated to version NetBeans 8.2 Patch 2
Java: 1.8.0_101; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.101-b13
Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_101-b13
System: Mac OS X version 10.12.6 running on x86_64; UTF-8; en_US (nb)
User directory: /Users/geertjanwielenga/Library/Application Support/NetBeans/8.2
Cache directory: /Users/geertjanwielenga/Library/Caches/NetBeans/8.2

> On 25 Sep 2017, at 12:34, JeffCyr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So I just installed netbeans ide. I have java's latest SDK and JRE installed for my 64 windows 7 os.
>
> While trying to learn to code for Java I'm following the tutorials which say to go to file, click on "Start new project" which I click and nothing happens. I can click it countless times, restart the application, the computer, run in admin, nothing happens. I go to options and that doesn't open either, I can't open any of the "windows" tab's options either. So what's going on?
>
> Windows 7 64bit.

Re: Netbeans Can't start projects

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com

PS: If you can’t open the About dialog, run java -version on the command line, to see which JDK version you’re using. NetBeans IDE 8.2 does not support JDK 9, you’ll need to use JDK 8, or set up Apache NetBeans (incubating) yourself: github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans

> On 25 Sep 2017, at 13:40, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Which version of NetBeans and which version of the JDK?
>
> Go to the About dialog (under Help on PC and Linux and under NetBeans under OSX). What do you see there?
>
> Copy and paste the content, e.g.:
>
> Product Version: NetBeans IDE 8.2 (Build 201609300101)
> Updates: NetBeans IDE is updated to version NetBeans 8.2 Patch 2
> Java: 1.8.0_101; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.101-b13
> Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_101-b13
> System: Mac OS X version 10.12.6 running on x86_64; UTF-8; en_US (nb)
> User directory: /Users/geertjanwielenga/Library/Application Support/NetBeans/8.2
> Cache directory: /Users/geertjanwielenga/Library/Caches/NetBeans/8.2
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gj
>
>> On 25 Sep 2017, at 12:34, JeffCyr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So I just installed netbeans ide. I have java's latest SDK and JRE installed for my 64 windows 7 os.
>>
>> While trying to learn to code for Java I'm following the tutorials which say to go to file, click on "Start new project" which I click and nothing happens. I can click it countless times, restart the application, the computer, run in admin, nothing happens. I go to options and that doesn't open either, I can't open any of the "windows" tab's options either. So what's going on?
>>
>> Windows 7 64bit.

Netbeans Can't start projects

kpenrose
Can you go to the View menu and select IDE Log?  If so, what do you see there?
How about Tools->Plugins.  Are any plugins actually installed?

Netbeans Can't start projects

JeffCyr
I see a lot of things written to the ide log which I'm attaching to this post so as not to make this a giant wall of text.

There are 41 plugins installed though none of them have a check mark.

Attachments:
http://forums.netbeans.org//files/bug_103.txt

Re: Netbeans Can't start projects

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com

You are going to continue to have this problem until you use JDK 8 instead of JDK 9 because NetBeans IDE 8.2 does not run on JDK 9.

I know you are using NetBeans IDE 8.2 and JDK 9 because this is in the file you sent:

  Product Version         = NetBeans IDE 8.2 (Build 201609300101) (#5fd841261bf9)
  Operating System        = Windows 7 version 6.1 running on amd64
  Java; VM; Vendor        = 9; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 9+181; Oracle Corporation
  Runtime                 = Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 9+181
  Java Home               = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-9

Geertjan Wielenga | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +31620320056 |
Oracle Developer Tools

ORACLE Netherlands | Hertogswetering 163-167 | 3543 AS Utrecht | Netherlands

On 25 Sep 2017, at 18:18, JeffCyr <[hidden email]> wrote:

I see a lot of things written to the ide log which I'm attaching to this post so as not to make this a giant wall of text.

There are 41 plugins installed though none of them have a check mark.

Attachments:
http://forums.netbeans.org//files/bug_103.txt

Netbeans Can't start projects

Gevaarvlinder
Seems JDK9 doesn't work so well with netbeans yet.  On mac, i changed the java home in netbeans.conf to JDK8 home folder and it solved the problem for me.