Netbeans 9

Michael Müller
Hi,
Java 9 is available. But Netbeans 9?
Java EE 8 too. Nur Bundles GF 5?

Herzliche Grüße - Best Regards,

Michael Müller
Brühl, Germany
blog.mueller-bruehl.de
it-rezension.de
@muellermi

Read my books
"Web Development with Java and JSF": https://leanpub.com/jsf
"Java Lambdas and Parallel Streams": http://www.apress.com/de/book/9781484224861
"Visitors" a photographic image book: https://leanpub.com/visitors

Re: Netbeans 9

Emilian Bold-2
NetBeans 9 will have to be an Apache release. So, it's going to take
some time...

--emi

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Michael Müller
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Java 9 is available. But Netbeans 9?
> Java EE 8 too. Nur Bundles GF 5?
>

> Herzliche Grüße - Best Regards,
>
> Michael Müller
> Brühl, Germany
> blog.mueller-bruehl.de
> it-rezension.de
> @muellermi
>

> Read my books
> "Web Development with Java and JSF": https://leanpub.com/jsf
> "Java Lambdas and Parallel Streams":
> http://www.apress.com/de/book/9781484224861
> "Visitors" a photographic image book: https://leanpub.com/visitors

Re: Netbeans 9

Matthias Bläsing
Am Freitag, den 22.09.2017, 10:48 +0300 schrieb Emilian Bold:
> NetBeans 9 will have to be an Apache release. So, it's going to take
> some time...

Is that so? Oracle could still release netbeans 9 from the the current
codebase. In my opinion given the current state of affairs, this would
be a wise move.

There are parts of netbeans that won't be released as apache netbeans
(it was clearly stated, that the nbjavac will not be apache licenced)
and these need adequate replacements. Also there are dependencies on
libraries incompatibly licensed, that need replacement.

I see much discussions and work ahead, before an apache release can
happen.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: Netbeans 9

Yes, follow along at Apache and you’ll see where we’re at at the moment — not really near a release yet.

On the other hand, building NetBeans is easy: https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans

Gj

> On 22 Sep 2017, at 03:20, Michael Müller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Java 9 is available. But Netbeans 9?
> Java EE 8 too. Nur Bundles GF 5?
>

> Herzliche Grüße - Best Regards,
>
> Michael Müller
> Brühl, Germany
> blog.mueller-bruehl.de
> it-rezension.de
> @muellermi
>

> Read my books
> "Web Development with Java and JSF": https://leanpub.com/jsf
> "Java Lambdas and Parallel Streams": http://www.apress.com/de/book/9781484224861
> "Visitors" a photographic image book: https://leanpub.com/visitors

Re: Netbeans 9

NetBeans belongs to Apache now.

nbjavac has been discussed and approved at Apache: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-279

Gj

> On 22 Sep 2017, at 04:51, Matthias Bläsing <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am Freitag, den 22.09.2017, 10:48 +0300 schrieb Emilian Bold:
>> NetBeans 9 will have to be an Apache release. So, it's going to take
>> some time...
>
> Is that so? Oracle could still release netbeans 9 from the the current
> codebase. In my opinion given the current state of affairs, this would
> be a wise move.
>
> There are parts of netbeans that won't be released as apache netbeans
> (it was clearly stated, that the nbjavac will not be apache licenced)
> and these need adequate replacements. Also there are dependencies on
> libraries incompatibly licensed, that need replacement.
>
> I see much discussions and work ahead, before an apache release can
> happen.
>
> Greetings
>
> Matthias

Re: Netbeans 9

Matthias Bläsing
Hey,

Am Freitag, den 22.09.2017, 08:44 -0400 schrieb [hidden email]:

> nbjavac has been discussed and approved at Apache: https://issues.apa
> che.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-279

maybe I'm reading this wrong but reading this:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-279?focusedCommentId=156446
33&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-
tabpanel#comment-15644633

Apache netbeans java support will not be complete. It requires an
outside (aka nb-javac) module to work fully. This module can't be
developed in the apache project, as it won't fit the license
requirement.

The end-user is required to install the missing module or Oracle needs
to distribute a "Oracle Netbeans" based on the Apache Netbeans source.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: Netbeans 9

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com

Yes, probably the installer will ask the user whether they want to use Java and then the two JARs making up nb-javac will be installed.

Gj

> On 22 Sep 2017, at 09:34, Matthias Bläsing <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> Am Freitag, den 22.09.2017, 08:44 -0400 schrieb [hidden email]:
>>
>> nbjavac has been discussed and approved at Apache: https://issues.apa
>> che.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-279
>>

> maybe I'm reading this wrong but reading this:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-279?focusedCommentId=156446
> 33&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-
> tabpanel#comment-15644633
>
> Apache netbeans java support will not be complete. It requires an
> outside (aka nb-javac) module to work fully. This module can't be
> developed in the apache project, as it won't fit the license
> requirement.
>
> The end-user is required to install the missing module or Oracle needs
> to distribute a "Oracle Netbeans" based on the Apache Netbeans source.
>
> Greetings
>
> Matthias

Re: Netbeans 9

John McDonnell-2
Matthias,

Your raising a good point, and one that hasn’t been discussed in a while on the apache mailing list.  NETBEANS-1 was raised at the beginning of the migration(nearly 12 months ago now...) and maybe we need to take this discussion to the Apache mailing lists and bring focus on it, sooner rather than later.

It’s a pity the licensing stuff took so long but it can’t be helped now, we need to look at a way to make sure that when Apache NetBeans 9 its usable and not left behind by the other IDE’s.

Regards

John

> On 22 Sep 2017, at 14:36, [hidden email] wrote:
>

> Yes, probably the installer will ask the user whether they want to use Java and then the two JARs making up nb-javac will be installed.
>
> Gj
>
>> On 22 Sep 2017, at 09:34, Matthias Bläsing <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> Am Freitag, den 22.09.2017, 08:44 -0400 schrieb [hidden email]:
>>>
>>> nbjavac has been discussed and approved at Apache: https://issues.apa
>>> che.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-279
>>>

>> maybe I'm reading this wrong but reading this:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-279?focusedCommentId=156446
>> 33&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-
>> tabpanel#comment-15644633
>>
>> Apache netbeans java support will not be complete. It requires an
>> outside (aka nb-javac) module to work fully. This module can't be
>> developed in the apache project, as it won't fit the license
>> requirement.
>>
>> The end-user is required to install the missing module or Oracle needs
>> to distribute a "Oracle Netbeans" based on the Apache Netbeans source.
>>
>> Greetings
>>
>> Matthias

Re: Netbeans 9

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com
The legal issue had already been decided at Apache. The user will need to install nb-javac him/herself. What that means in reality is that they will be asked via the installer whether they want to use Java. When they say 'yes', i.e., when they indicate they want nb-javac support, it will be installed for them via the installer.

Gj

Sent from my iPhone