Netbeans 9 editor showing errors when there aren't any

Netbeans 9 editor showing errors when there aren't any

Mark A. Claassen
I have been experimenting with Java 9 a bit and having a little bit of trouble with the editor.

I can get everything to compile ok, but the editor still thinks there are errors.
I have compiler args in my project.properties:
       javac.compilerargs=-Xmaxerrs 1000 -J-Xms196m -J-Xmx512m --add-modules=java.activation,java.se.ee,java.xml.ws.annotation

Everything compiles without errors, but in my source classes, all the imports from those extra modules still show as errors.
Is there something I can do to remove these?  Am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Mark

Product Version: NetBeans IDE Dev (Build 201709120001)
Java: 9; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 9+181
Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 9+181
System: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; en_US (nb)

Mark Claassen
Senior Software Engineer

Donnell Systems, Inc.
130 South Main Street
Leighton Plaza Suite 375
South Bend, IN  46601
E-mail: mailto:[hidden email]
Voice: (574)232-3784
Fax: (574)232-4014

Re: Netbeans 9 editor showing errors when there aren't any

Thomas Wolf-7
I sometimes see this in NB 8 (and 7 and 6...) as well.  The editor and/or Project tree will continue showing error icons even when there aren’t any.  My solution whenever this happens is to exit NB, clear it’s “cache” (in Windows it’s the user’s AppData/local/Netbeans/cache or something like that) and restart NB.

Hope this helps
tom

> On Sep 13, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Mark A. Claassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have been experimenting with Java 9 a bit and having a little bit of trouble with the editor.
>
> I can get everything to compile ok, but the editor still thinks there are errors.
> I have compiler args in my project.properties:
>       javac.compilerargs=-Xmaxerrs 1000 -J-Xms196m -J-Xmx512m --add-modules=java.activation,java.se.ee,java.xml.ws.annotation
>
> Everything compiles without errors, but in my source classes, all the imports from those extra modules still show as errors.
> Is there something I can do to remove these?  Am I doing wrong here?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> Product Version: NetBeans IDE Dev (Build 201709120001)
> Java: 9; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 9+181
> Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 9+181
> System: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; en_US (nb)
>

> Mark Claassen
> Senior Software Engineer
>
> Donnell Systems, Inc.
> 130 South Main Street
> Leighton Plaza Suite 375
> South Bend, IN  46601
> E-mail: mailto:[hidden email]
> Voice: (574)232-3784
> Fax: (574)232-4014

Re: Netbeans 9 editor showing errors when there aren't any

Mark A. Claassen

Thanks for the reply.  I delete the Cache/dev directory and it rescanned everything.  As soon as it finished scanning, the errors reappeared.

As a side note, my code is not using any Java 9 language features.  I added the “—add-modules” inforamtion by adding it to the command line in the “Project properties” dialog.  Is this the correct way to add this information?

Something else that is odd, but may not be related, is that my fix imports always has things like "java" and "javax" in it.

I sometimes see this in NB 8 (and 7 and 6...) as well.  The editor and/or Project tree will continue showing error icons even when there aren’t any.  My solution whenever this happens is to exit NB, clear it’s “cache” (in Windows it’s the user’s AppData/local/Netbeans/cache or something like that) and restart NB.

Hope this helps

tom

> On Sep 13, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Mark A. Claassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been experimenting with Java 9 a bit and having a little bit of trouble with the editor.

> I can get everything to compile ok, but the editor still thinks there are errors.

> I have compiler args in my project.properties:

>       javac.compilerargs=-Xmaxerrs 1000 -J-Xms196m -J-Xmx512m --add-modules=java.activation,java.se.ee,java.xml.ws.annotation

> Everything compiles without errors, but in my source classes, all the imports from those extra modules still show as errors.

> Is there something I can do to remove these?  Am I doing wrong here?

> Thanks,

> Mark

> Product Version: NetBeans IDE Dev (Build 201709120001)

> Java: 9; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 9+181

> Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 9+181

> System: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; en_US (nb)

> Mark Claassen

> Senior Software Engineer

> Donnell Systems, Inc.

> 130 South Main Street

> Leighton Plaza Suite 375

> South Bend, IN  46601

> E-mail: [hidden email]

> Voice: (574)232-3784

> Fax: (574)232-4014

Re: Netbeans 9 editor showing errors when there aren't any

Mark A. Claassen

Later today I am going to install the most recent version of netbeans and delete all the “dev” folders in AppData/*/Netbeans folders and see what that does.

Thanks for the reply.  I delete the Cache/dev directory and it rescanned everything.  As soon as it finished scanning, the errors reappeared.

As a side note, my code is not using any Java 9 language features.  I added the “—add-modules” inforamtion by adding it to the command line in the “Project properties” dialog.  Is this the correct way to add this information?

Something else that is odd, but may not be related, is that my fix imports always has things like "java" and "javax" in it.

I sometimes see this in NB 8 (and 7 and 6...) as well.  The editor and/or Project tree will continue showing error icons even when there aren’t any.  My solution whenever this happens is to exit NB, clear it’s “cache” (in Windows it’s the user’s AppData/local/Netbeans/cache or something like that) and restart NB.

Hope this helps

tom

> On Sep 13, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Mark A. Claassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been experimenting with Java 9 a bit and having a little bit of trouble with the editor.

> I can get everything to compile ok, but the editor still thinks there are errors.

> I have compiler args in my project.properties:

>       javac.compilerargs=-Xmaxerrs 1000 -J-Xms196m -J-Xmx512m --add-modules=java.activation,java.se.ee,java.xml.ws.annotation

> Everything compiles without errors, but in my source classes, all the imports from those extra modules still show as errors.

> Is there something I can do to remove these?  Am I doing wrong here?

> Thanks,

> Mark

> Product Version: NetBeans IDE Dev (Build 201709120001)

> Java: 9; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 9+181

> Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 9+181

> System: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; en_US (nb)

> Mark Claassen

> Senior Software Engineer

> Donnell Systems, Inc.

> 130 South Main Street

> Leighton Plaza Suite 375

> South Bend, IN  46601

> E-mail: [hidden email]

> Voice: (574)232-3784

> Fax: (574)232-4014

Re: Netbeans 9 editor showing errors when there aren't any

Mark A. Claassen

Well, unfortunately, nothing has changed.  The editor still reports errors while the compile works.  The fix imports also still has things like “java” and “javax” in it.

Here is the parsing error:

Even classes without the parsing error have the odd fix imports behavior.

Product Version: NetBeans IDE Dev (Build 201709130001)

Java: 9; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 9+181

Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 9+181

System: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; en_US (nb)

Later today I am going to install the most recent version of netbeans and delete all the “dev” folders in AppData/*/Netbeans folders and see what that does.

Thanks for the reply.  I delete the Cache/dev directory and it rescanned everything.  As soon as it finished scanning, the errors reappeared.

As a side note, my code is not using any Java 9 language features.  I added the “—add-modules” inforamtion by adding it to the command line in the “Project properties” dialog.  Is this the correct way to add this information?

Something else that is odd, but may not be related, is that my fix imports always has things like "java" and "javax" in it.

I sometimes see this in NB 8 (and 7 and 6...) as well.  The editor and/or Project tree will continue showing error icons even when there aren’t any.  My solution whenever this happens is to exit NB, clear it’s “cache” (in Windows it’s the user’s AppData/local/Netbeans/cache or something like that) and restart NB.

Hope this helps

tom

> On Sep 13, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Mark A. Claassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been experimenting with Java 9 a bit and having a little bit of trouble with the editor.

> I can get everything to compile ok, but the editor still thinks there are errors.

> I have compiler args in my project.properties:

>       javac.compilerargs=-Xmaxerrs 1000 -J-Xms196m -J-Xmx512m --add-modules=java.activation,java.se.ee,java.xml.ws.annotation

> Everything compiles without errors, but in my source classes, all the imports from those extra modules still show as errors.

> Is there something I can do to remove these?  Am I doing wrong here?

> Thanks,

> Mark

> Product Version: NetBeans IDE Dev (Build 201709120001)

> Java: 9; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 9+181

> Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 9+181

> System: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; en_US (nb)

> Mark Claassen

> Senior Software Engineer

> Donnell Systems, Inc.

> 130 South Main Street

> Leighton Plaza Suite 375

> South Bend, IN  46601

> E-mail: [hidden email]

> Voice: (574)232-3784

> Fax: (574)232-4014

Re: Netbeans 9 editor showing errors when there aren't any

Thomas Wolf-7
Out of curiosity why are you running NB with JDK 9?  It’s not released yet.  And if your code doesn’t use JDK 9 features, why don’t you set the source level and platform to JDK 8 in the IDE?

Apologies if you explained it earlier and I overlooked it.

tom

On Sep 13, 2017, at 4:00 PM, Mark A. Claassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well, unfortunately, nothing has changed.  The editor still reports errors while the compile works.  The fix imports also still has things like “java” and “javax” in it.

Here is the parsing error:

<image001.png>

[...]

<image003.jpg>

I sometimes see this in NB 8 (and 7 and 6...) as well.  The editor and/or Project tree will continue showing error icons even when there aren’t any.  My solution whenever this happens is to exit NB, clear it’s “cache” (in Windows it’s the user’s AppData/local/Netbeans/cache or something like that) and restart NB.

Hope this helps

tom

> On Sep 13, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Mark A. Claassen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been experimenting with Java 9 a bit and having a little bit of trouble with the editor.

> I can get everything to compile ok, but the editor still thinks there are errors.

> I have compiler args in my project.properties:

>       javac.compilerargs=-Xmaxerrs 1000 -J-Xms196m -J-Xmx512m --add-modules=java.activation,java.se.ee,java.xml.ws.annotation

> Everything compiles without errors, but in my source classes, all the imports from those extra modules still show as errors.

> Is there something I can do to remove these?  Am I doing wrong here?

> Thanks,

> Mark

> Product Version: NetBeans IDE Dev (Build 201709120001)

> Java: 9; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 9+181

> Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 9+181

> System: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; en_US (nb)

> Mark Claassen

> Senior Software Engineer

> Donnell Systems, Inc.

> 130 South Main Street

> Leighton Plaza Suite 375

> South Bend, IN  46601

> E-mail: [hidden email]

> Voice: (574)232-3784

> Fax: (574)232-4014

Re: Netbeans 9 editor showing errors when there aren't any

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com
Yes, to use JDK 9 in NetBeans, you don’t need to run NetBeans itself on JDK 9.

Gj

> On 14 Sep 2017, at 00:25, Thomas Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Out of curiosity why are you running NB with JDK 9?  It’s not released yet.  And if your code doesn’t use JDK 9 features, why don’t you set the source level and platform to JDK 8 in the IDE?
>
> Apologies if you explained it earlier and I overlooked it.
>
> tom
>
> On Sep 13, 2017, at 4:00 PM, Mark A. Claassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well, unfortunately, nothing has changed.  The editor still reports errors while the compile works.  The fix imports also still has things like “java” and “javax” in it.
>>
>> Here is the parsing error:
>> <image001.png>
>>
>> Even classes without the parsing error have the odd fix imports behavior.
>>
>> Product Version: NetBeans IDE Dev (Build 201709130001)
>> Java: 9; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 9+181

Thanks for the suggestion.  I guess I should have said that we are not using any JDK 9 language features at this time, but that doesn't mean we don't want to ;-).
That being said, I took your suggestion and setting the source code level to JDK 8 removes the editor errors.

The editor behavior is the same whether or not NB is using JDK8 or JDK9 to run.

Thanks,
Mark

Yes, to use JDK 9 in NetBeans, you don’t need to run NetBeans itself on JDK 9.

Gj

> On 14 Sep 2017, at 00:25, Thomas Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Out of curiosity why are you running NB with JDK 9?  It’s not released yet.  And if your code doesn’t use JDK 9 features, why don’t you set the source level and platform to JDK 8 in the IDE?
>
> Apologies if you explained it earlier and I overlooked it.
>
> tom
>
> On Sep 13, 2017, at 4:00 PM, Mark A. Claassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well, unfortunately, nothing has changed.  The editor still reports errors while the compile works.  The fix imports also still has things like “java” and “javax” in it.
>>
>> Here is the parsing error:
>> <image001.png>
>>
>> Even classes without the parsing error have the odd fix imports behavior.
>>
>> Product Version: NetBeans IDE Dev (Build 201709130001)
>> Java: 9; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 9+181

Dusan Balek-2
There is a bug in a way the NetBeans Java infrastructure handles the
--add-modules=<module_name> option. I have filed a bug report to track
it (https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=271484). As a
workaround, could you please try to specify your option with '=' omitted
(--add-modules java.activation,java.se.ee,java.xml.ws.annotation)?

Dusan

On 09/13/2017 04:02 PM, Mark A. Claassen wrote:

> I have been experimenting with Java 9 a bit and having a little bit of trouble with the editor.
>
> I can get everything to compile ok, but the editor still thinks there are errors.
> I have compiler args in my project.properties:
>         javac.compilerargs=-Xmaxerrs 1000 -J-Xms196m -J-Xmx512m --add-modules=java.activation,java.se.ee,java.xml.ws.annotation
>
> Everything compiles without errors, but in my source classes, all the imports from those extra modules still show as errors.
> Is there something I can do to remove these?  Am I doing wrong here?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> Product Version: NetBeans IDE Dev (Build 201709120001)
> Java: 9; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 9+181
> Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 9+181
> System: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; en_US (nb)
>

> Mark Claassen
> Senior Software Engineer
>
> Donnell Systems, Inc.
> 130 South Main Street
> Leighton Plaza Suite 375
> South Bend, IN  46601
> E-mail: mailto:[hidden email]
> Voice: (574)232-3784
> Fax: (574)232-4014

Re: Netbeans 9 editor showing errors when there aren't any

Mark A. Claassen
Thanks!  That was totally it.  The imports from these other modules are no longer being flagged as errors.

There is a bug in a way the NetBeans Java infrastructure handles the --add-modules=<module_name> option. I have filed a bug report to track it (https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=271484). As a workaround, could you please try to specify your option with '=' omitted (--add-modules java.activation,java.se.ee,java.xml.ws.annotation)?