NetBeans and JDK 9

peterhull90
As far as I can see, NB 8.2 does not allow projects to be developed using JDK 9. I can add it as a new Java platform but the editor highlights all classes as undefined, even things like String. I suppose this is because there is no rt.jar any more.

Anyway, I understood from other documents that there was planned to be a NetBeans 9 launched around the same time, with the principal aim of being compatible with JDK 9.

Can anyone tell me, is this still the case and if so, when can we expect NetBeans 9?

Thanks,
Peter

NetBeans and JDK 9

kpenrose
The release map shows that NetBeans 9 was to be released around Sept 1st, but given that JSE 9 was a little late, maybe NB 9 will be delayed also?  Or maybe this has something to do with Apache?

Anyone?

Re: NetBeans and JDK 9

Yes, it’s in progress at Apache, you can build NetBeans via Ant after getting it from here:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans

Then you’ll have Java 9 tool, etc:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetBeans+9.0+-+New+and+Noteworthy

Also, you’re needed! Join in:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/How+to+Participate

Thanks,

Geertjan

> On 22 Sep 2017, at 07:47, peterhull90 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As far as I can see, NB 8.2 does not allow projects to be developed using JDK 9. I can add it as a new Java platform but the editor highlights all classes as undefined, even things like String. I suppose this is because there is no rt.jar any more.
>
> Anyway, I understood from other documents that there was planned to be a NetBeans 9 launched around the same time, with the principal aim of being compatible with JDK 9.
>
> Can anyone tell me, is this still the case and if so, when can we expect NetBeans 9?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Re: NetBeans and JDK 9

Yes, it’s in progress at Apache, you can build NetBeans via Ant after getting it from here:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans

Then you’ll have Java 9 tool, etc:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetBeans+9.0+-+New+and+Noteworthy

Also, you’re needed! Join in:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/How+to+Participate

Thanks,

Geertjan

> On 22 Sep 2017, at 09:11, kpenrose <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The release map shows that NetBeans 9 was to be released around Sept 1st, but given that JSE 9 was a little late, maybe NB 9 will be delayed also?  Or maybe this has something to do with Apache?
>
> Anyone?

Re: NetBeans and JDK 9

Papa
Oh no!
Is this mailing list going to be killed by Apache too?

Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.
ArbolOne is composed of students and volunteers dedicated to providing free services to charitable organizations.
ArbolOne on Java Development in progress ⏳

Yes, it’s in progress at Apache, you can build NetBeans via Ant after getting it from here:https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeansThen you’ll have Java 9 tool, etc:https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetBeans+9.0+-+New+and+NoteworthyAlso, you’re needed! Join in:https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/How+to+ParticipateThanks,Geertjan> On 22 Sep 2017, at 09:11, kpenrose  wrote:> > The release map shows that NetBeans 9 was to be released around Sept 1st, but given that JSE 9 was a little late, maybe NB 9 will be delayed also?  Or maybe this has something to do with Apache?> > Anyone?> > > >

Re: NetBeans and JDK 9

Glenn Holmer-4
On 09/22/2017 02:08 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Oh no!
> Is this mailing list going to be killed by Apache too?

NetBeans, as you know, is moving to the Apache Software Foundation.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/How+to+Participate

What is your problem with Apache?

Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: NetBeans and JDK 9

Mark Wilmoth
This is a known troll guys. You might as well ignore him and put the email in your block list

He has been banned and warned before.

Mark

Date: Fri, Sep 22, 2017 10:26 AM

Alex Sviridov

Re: When will NetBeans 9 approximately be released?

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com
Hi Alex,

Those bugs are going to remain unfixed, unless you report them.

Here is how you can participate in Apache NetBeans, where you can join the Apache NetBeans mailing list, how you can report bugs:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/How+to+Participate

I encourage you to join the new Apache NetBeans user mailing list, as described above.

You can also follow the instructions here to set up Apache NetBeans:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans

Over time, the [hidden email] mailing list will be removed — ideally, everyone will join [hidden email] (as described above, by subscribing via [hidden email].

Quite some work needs to be done to prepare the Apache NetBeans release, soon more and more tasks will be announced where the community can be more involved — hopefully you’ll all pitch in and make Apache NetBeans a success, it’ll be the one and only development environment in Apache, with a lot of new opportunities though also a lot of challenges.

Thanks,

Geertjan

> On 23 Sep 2017, at 07:54, Alex Sviridov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all
>
> Could anyone say what approximately NB 9 be released? I now work with
> developer version that supports Java 9 but it has a lot of bugs. I spend rather
> much time to do basic things like moving class from one package to another.
>
> Best regards, Alex
>

> Суббота, 23 сентября 2017, 3:39 +03:00 от Mark Wilmoth <[hidden email]>:
>
> This is a known troll guys. You might as well ignore him and put the email in your block list
>
> He has been banned and warned before.
>
> Mark

Re: NetBeans and JDK 9

Papa

Wow!
Well, I guess every one has the right to say what ever they want, as long as one does not offend anyone.
My questions are not offensive, they are just questions. However, your statements are offensive, sir.
Who is the troll now?

On 2017-09-22 8:33 PM, Mark Wilmoth wrote:
This is a known troll guys. You might as well ignore him and put the email in your block list

He has been banned and warned before.

Mark

ArbolOne is composed of students and volunteers dedicated to providing free services to charitable organizations.
ArbolOne on Java Development in progress [ í ]

NetBeans and JDK 9

Lurk King
NetBeans 9 code was just handed off to the Apache Project. So it was delayed. It still has some work and testing to be done on it.

NetBeans and JDK 9

peterhull90
I've been keeping an eye on the Apache NetBeans mailing list - the impression I get is that the amount of work needed to complete the handover is more than the people on the NetBeans side anticipated at the beginning.

Still would be useful if they could estimate a new release timetable!

Re: NetBeans and JDK 9

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com

That is absolutely true!

However, if you’ve been keeping an eye on the Apache NetBeans mailing list, you’ll know that the place to have this discussion is… the Apache NetBeans mailing list.

You’ll also know that keeping an eye on mailing lists is not enough — you need to participate, either by giving your insights in discussions on the Apache NetBeans mailing lists, simply adding a +1 if you agree with something (which takes about 2 seconds of time), or joining in with the Modules Review to ensure that Apache NetBeans will be released:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/How+to+Participate

There is no place for people keeping an eye on things in Apache. :-)

Gj

> On 27 Sep 2017, at 12:43, peterhull90 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've been keeping an eye on the Apache NetBeans mailing list - the impression I get is that the amount of work needed to complete the handover is more than the people on the NetBeans side anticipated at the beginning.
>
> Still would be useful if they could estimate a new release timetable!

Re: NetBeans and JDK 9

Brett Ryan
+1

Sorry, couldn’t help myself, the irony was just too splendid. ;)

> On 28 Sep 2017, at 06:53, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> That is absolutely true!
>
> However, if you’ve been keeping an eye on the Apache NetBeans mailing list, you’ll know that the place to have this discussion is… the Apache NetBeans mailing list.
>
> You’ll also know that keeping an eye on mailing lists is not enough — you need to participate, either by giving your insights in discussions on the Apache NetBeans mailing lists, simply adding a +1 if you agree with something (which takes about 2 seconds of time), or joining in with the Modules Review to ensure that Apache NetBeans will be released:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/How+to+Participate
>
> There is no place for people keeping an eye on things in Apache. :-)
>
> Gj
>

>> On 27 Sep 2017, at 12:43, peterhull90 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been keeping an eye on the Apache NetBeans mailing list - the impression I get is that the amount of work needed to complete the handover is more than the people on the NetBeans side anticipated at the beginning.
>>
>> Still would be useful if they could estimate a new release timetable!

Re: NetBeans and JDK 9

wadechandler
Administrator
+1 "The Apache Way"; An IDE For The People, By The People. I support this message.

Wade

On Sep 27, 2017 17:39, "Brett Ryan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

Sorry, couldn’t help myself, the irony was just too splendid. ;)

> On 28 Sep 2017, at 06:53, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> That is absolutely true!
>
> However, if you’ve been keeping an eye on the Apache NetBeans mailing list, you’ll know that the place to have this discussion is… the Apache NetBeans mailing list.
>
> You’ll also know that keeping an eye on mailing lists is not enough — you need to participate, either by giving your insights in discussions on the Apache NetBeans mailing lists, simply adding a +1 if you agree with something (which takes about 2 seconds of time), or joining in with the Modules Review to ensure that Apache NetBeans will be released:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/How+to+Participate
>
> There is no place for people keeping an eye on things in Apache. :-)
>
> Gj
>

>> On 27 Sep 2017, at 12:43, peterhull90 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been keeping an eye on the Apache NetBeans mailing list - the impression I get is that the amount of work needed to complete the handover is more than the people on the NetBeans side anticipated at the beginning.
>>
>> Still would be useful if they could estimate a new release timetable!

Wade Chandler

Software Engineer
NetBeans and Open Source Contributor