Quantcast

NetBeans Install on Windows 7 Can't Find JDK SE

NetBeans Install on Windows 7 Can't Find JDK SE

duff
I apologize if you've seen this post in the NetBeans Users forum. I haven't gotten any responses there and thought perhaps the Developers forum was more appropriate for this question.

I am trying to install NetBeans 6.1 on a Windows 7 64 bit VM machine. I have to install the older NetBeans version in order to match the development environment that my fellow developers are using. So, I can’t install 6.8.

First I installed JDK SE version 6 update 19 for Windows 64 bit. To begin the install, I ran jdk-6u19-windows-x64.exe. This install completed without error. I tried to confirm that the install succeeded by looking for the JDK home folder. I found that C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_19 now existed on my machine.

Then I tried to install NetBeans 6.1 Release from the NetBeans archives. I chose the Java SE (Base IDE and Java SE) bundle. The NetBeans web site did not offer a Windows 7 or Windows 64 bit version. However, there was a Windows 2000/XP/Vista option so I chose that. Part way through the install I received the following message:

“Java SE Development Kit (JDK) was not found on this computer. JDK 6 or JDK 5 is required for installing the NetBeans IDE. Make sure that the JDK is properly installed and run installer again. You can specify valid JDK location using --javahome installer argument.”

I don’t understand this message because the JDK was properly installed. Maybe the installer just needs to be told where the JDK resides. However, I can’t figure out how to specify the --javahome argument to the NetBeans installer. I usually just click “download” on the web site, and all things follow automatically. Can anyone explain how to run the NetBeans installer and specify the --javahome argument?

Is it is possible that I am trying to do the impossible? Perhaps NetBeans 6.1 does not run on Windows 7 64 bit. Can anyone advise me here?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Duff

Re: NetBeans Install on Windows 7 Can't Find JDK SE

Michel Graciano
Well, probably you are right, maybe the 6.1 installer can't run correctly at Win 7. I suggest you to download the OS independent zip file [1] if you need this specific version but update for the latest one is maybe an possible option too :)
BTW, the correct is you send this for user's list.

Regards
[1] http://netbeans.org/downloads/6.1/index.html

--
Michel Graciano
Summa Technologies do Brasil Ltda.
http://translatedfiles.netbeans.org/index_pt_BR.html
https://copypastehistory.dev.java.net/

Re: NetBeans Install on Windows 7 Can't Find JDK SE

emiddio
nb61 will not install on win 7-- i had to use the zip distro

gary

http://translatedfiles.netbeans.org/index_pt_BR.html
https://copypastehistory.dev.java.net/

Re: NetBeans Install on Windows 7 Can't Find JDK SE

cfisher282011
This post was updated on .
I ran into the same issue as you, and as I started thinking about your final comments, "Perhaps NetBeans 6.1 does not run on Windows 7 64 bit", I started to think about the typical term used for that problem.  Compatibility.  So, after all this work trying to figure out this --javahome argument and trying another method of extracting the installer, both of which didn't work, turned out to be the simplest of fixes.  Right click the installer, open properties, go to compatibility and check to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and run it as admin.  Program installed fully, and runs well.

Further note, after running through the process a second time on my laptop to install this program, I found three things that need to be done to install and run this version.  You need to install the JDK.  Second, you need to make sure your internet browsers JRE is up to date ( http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp ).  Then, as stated above, need to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP.  At least that's what seemed to work for me.

duff wrote
[...]

Duff

Re: NetBeans Install on Windows 7 Can't Find JDK SE

atherq
Thanx a lot.. It worked for me :)