NetBeans 8.x Swing Application Framework on Linux

NetBeans 8.x Swing Application Framework on Linux

Stan Gammons
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to JAVA and NetBeans. As a project to try to learn both I've been trying to make a JAVA application that was developed by a fellow amateur radio operator using NetBeans 6.x. The application uses the swing application framework which I see is no longer supported, but there is a third party plugin for. The plugin seems to work fine with NetBeans 8.2 on Windows. The application runs and compiles fine.  When I try to do the same on Linux with NetBeans 8.1, I get  package .org.jdesktop.application does not exist errors when I try to run the application.  Any ideas on how to go about fixing this?

Thanks

Stan

Re: NetBeans 8.x Swing Application Framework on Linux

Eduard
I just googled this and there is a suggestion that it might be an issue
with the NB cache. Have you tried to remove the cache?

Cheers
Eduard

Stan Gammons wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm a newbie to JAVA and NetBeans. As a project to try to learn both
> I've been trying to make a JAVA application that was developed by a
> fellow amateur radio operator using NetBeans 6.x. The application uses
> the swing application framework which I see is no longer supported,
> but there is a third party plugin for. The plugin seems to work fine
> with NetBeans 8.2 on Windows. The application runs and compiles fine.
> When I try to do the same on Linux with NetBeans 8.1, I get  package
> .org.jdesktop.application does not exist errors when I try to run the
> application.  Any ideas on how to go about fixing this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stan

Re: NetBeans 8.x Swing Application Framework on Linux

Stan Gammons
Hi Eduard,

I deleted the NetBeans directory from the cache directory. Unfortunately that didn't help :(

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Stan

Stan Gammons wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a newbie to JAVA and NetBeans. As a project to try to learn both
> I've been trying to make a JAVA application that was developed by a
> fellow amateur radio operator using NetBeans 6.x. The application uses
> the swing application framework which I see is no longer supported,
> but there is a third party plugin for. The plugin seems to work fine
> with NetBeans 8.2 on Windows. The application runs and compiles fine.
> When I try to do the same on Linux with NetBeans 8.1, I get  package
> .org.jdesktop.application does not exist errors when I try to run the
> application.  Any ideas on how to go about fixing this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stan

Re: NetBeans 8.x Swing Application Framework on Linux

Eduard Karel de Jong
Looks like the library isn't  installed so you have to add it to the project yourself.

you can find the jar file here.
--
Eduard

Stan Gammons wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a newbie to JAVA and NetBeans. As a project to try to learn both
> I've been trying to make a JAVA application that was developed by a
> fellow amateur radio operator using NetBeans 6.x. The application uses
> the swing application framework which I see is no longer supported,
> but there is a third party plugin for. The plugin seems to work fine
> with NetBeans 8.2 on Windows. The application runs and compiles fine.
> When I try to do the same on Linux with NetBeans 8.1, I get  package
> .org.jdesktop.application does not exist errors when I try to run the
> application.  Any ideas on how to go about fixing this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stan

Re: NetBeans 8.x Swing Application Framework on Linux

Stan Gammons
Hi Thomas,

Yes, I have the jars.  I got to thinking about the class path when you said that and I think I found the problem.  The libraries folder was set using the DOS/Windows path naming convention and it had a c: in the path name.  That's what was messing things up. The application runs now.

Thanks

Stan

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 1:43 PM Thomas Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I don't believe my reply to Thomas made it to the list.  The problem turned out to be the path to the library files was wrong.  Since the project was developed on windows, it was still pointing to a DOS/windows path. Changing it to a Linux/UNIX path fixed the problem.

Stan