NB Platform Apps and JRE bundles with Java 9

NB Platform Apps and JRE bundles with Java 9

Peter Hansson-2

Just a few questions on how the NBI infrastructure will work with Java 9.

Currently with Java <9, Oracle distributes ZIPs or tar.gz's for *all* platforms. This is important as it allows us NB Platform App developers to bundle a JRE with our application. I don't know if it is deliberate but the JDK9 EAP doesn't (at the moment) allow for downloading a relocatable package for Mac OS X and Windows. If this is a sign of things to come then we are in serious trouble.

Anyone knows this?

Peter

JDK9 EAP download:   https://jdk9.java.net/download/

Re: NB Platform Apps and JRE bundles with Java 9

Eirik Bakke-2
The Oracle JDK builds are not the best ones to use for re-distribution--they include proprietary add-ons that come with various legal caveats (see https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/16/oracle_targets_java_users_non_compliance/ ).

A better distribution is Zulu--it's just plain OpenJDK, with no proprietary Oracle stuff in it. Java is open-source after all, so anyone can make a distribution.

-- Eirik

JDK9 EAP download:   https://jdk9.java.net/download/

Re: NB Platform Apps and JRE bundles with Java 9

Peter Hansson-2
Well, those legal caveats is not something I worry about. What I bundle is a JRE, not a JDK. And tools that are irrelevant are excluded from the distribution package I create. I use the the Oracle ReadMe to guide me as to what I'm allowed to exclude from a re-distribution package. And I really, really exclude all I'm legally allowed to exclude ... for the sake of minimizing the size. So the risk of someone finding their way to the private JRE bundled with the application and then firing up some paid-for feature is 0%, simply because it isn't there.

In any case, I think Oracle is going down the wrong path if they will no longer cater for application developers who wish to bundle a JRE with their application.

And thanks for pointing me to Zulu distribution. Wasn't aware of its existence. My only concern is that customers may be more comfortable if it is an Oracle JRE which is bundled with the application as opposed to a derivative.But on the other hand: most of customers are unaware that our application is written in Java, except maybe the customer's IT dept cares. Dunno.

Peter