Mobility Pack + Pocket PC Emulator + JVM

Mobility Pack + Pocket PC Emulator + JVM

Alexandre Boaventura
Hi,

I'll try to develop a software that needs to run at a Pocket PC, an
IPaq. I have many doubts about how to begin.

Does anyone suggest an Emulator for it, and I'll need an specific JVM
that will run this application at IPaq.

But at the same Netbeans installation I have a J2SE project.

I would like to know if someone can tell me some path to learn about
how to develop it in the best way as possible.

What emulator can I use ? What JVM would be better ? Can I work with
both J2SE and J2ME at the same time ?

Thanks for some help.

Alexandre Boaventura

Re: Mobility Pack + Pocket PC Emulator + JVM

David Johnson-6
On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 14:49, Alexandre Boaventura wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'll try to develop a software that needs to run at a Pocket PC, an
> IPaq. I have many doubts about how to begin.
>
> Does anyone suggest an Emulator for it, and I'll need an specific JVM
> that will run this application at IPaq.
>
> But at the same Netbeans installation I have a J2SE project.
>
> I would like to know if someone can tell me some path to learn about
> how to develop it in the best way as possible.
>
> What emulator can I use ? What JVM would be better ? Can I work with
> both J2SE and J2ME at the same time ?
>
> Thanks for some help.

We recently did a project for a device that runs Windows CE. Not being
too familiar with the different flavours of Windows and the
corresponding hardware I'm not sure this is applicable.

WindowsCE will support CLDC so we developed our application using
Netbeans being careful to use only awt GUI controls - no swing. We
bought the Handango J9 JVM (a whopping US$5.99) and it works fine.

Hope this helps

David Johnson

Re: Mobility Pack + Pocket PC Emulator + JVM

Alexandre Boaventura
It helps, but I have another questions:

And the Pocket PC Emulator ? Did you use the Emulator that comes with
Pcoket PC SDK ? Does it work with NetBeans ?

Can I have installed another JVM (in my case, 1.5_03) and use another
JVM specifically for  my J2ME project ?

Thanks.

Alexandre Boaventura

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 15:26, Alexandre Boaventura wrote:
> It helps, but I have another questions:
>
> And the Pocket PC Emulator ? Did you use the Emulator that comes with
> Pcoket PC SDK ? Does it work with NetBeans ?

We didn't use an emulator - just the regular Netbeans GUI editor as the
Pocket PC device runs WindowsCE and it is CDLC not MIDP. If you are
stuck developing a MIDP app then my suggestions are irrelevant.

> Can I have installed another JVM (in my case, 1.5_03) and use another
> JVM specifically for  my J2ME project ?

Sure. In fact we started out using a different JVM (again CLDC not MIDP)
but it was a very old version of Java so there were issues. Hence the
switch to the J9.

> Thanks.
>
> 2005/8/25, David Johnson <[hidden email]>:
> > On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 14:49, Alexandre Boaventura wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'll try to develop a software that needs to run at a Pocket PC, an
> > > IPaq. I have many doubts about how to begin.
> > >
> > > Does anyone suggest an Emulator for it, and I'll need an specific JVM
> > > that will run this application at IPaq.
> > >
> > > But at the same Netbeans installation I have a J2SE project.
> > >
> > > I would like to know if someone can tell me some path to learn about
> > > how to develop it in the best way as possible.
> > >
> > > What emulator can I use ? What JVM would be better ? Can I work with
> > > both J2SE and J2ME at the same time ?
> > >
> > > Thanks for some help.
> > >
> > We recently did a project for a device that runs Windows CE. Not being
> > too familiar with the different flavours of Windows and the
> > corresponding hardware I'm not sure this is applicable.
> >
> > WindowsCE will support CLDC so we developed our application using
> > Netbeans being careful to use only awt GUI controls - no swing. We
> > bought the Handango J9 JVM (a whopping US$5.99) and it works fine.
> >
> > Hope this helps
> >
> > David Johnson

Re: Mobility Pack + Pocket PC Emulator + JVM

Alexandre Boaventura
Yes, I'll develop a MIDP app.

But it's ok. Thanks for your suggestions.

--
Alexandre Boaventura