Minimap test request

Peter Cheung

Hi All

   Can you test this for me http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/71031/?show=true ? The technique i use to generate a code map is : loop through the Elements in HighlightContainer, get the color of each character then generate a map. It is better than take a screen shoot of the code and minimize it to be the code map. Because each character is represented by a small box of color in the map, not just zooming the character and put it on the map. This make the code look more sharp and clear. Personally i think atom editor's has the best minimap and i will add these feature to beat them:

1) allow ignore all white space or tab in the beginning of line. Some people think this make the map sharper. I believe normal people overlook the map by seeing the tail of each line, so if i put white-box in the beginning of lines, just lesser sharp of the map.

2) allow people to ignore the white space or tab in the middle of line

3) change the scaling, longer line become longer, shorter line become shorter

4) build in several color theme (including gray theme), the color in atom editor minimap is same as the text on the editor, not good enough

5) Atom's minimap is scrollable, which mean you cannot overlook the whole code by look at the minimap. We are in retina display age, i think this should be cancel. So i just display the whole code minimap without scroll

6) highlight word occurrence, very useful i think. Instead of highligh those words in minimap, may be make it blink is better.

7) highlight the bookmark line, atom has it, but i would like to support it too.

thanks

from Peter

Re: Minimap test request

Peter Cheung

https://youtu.be/-hnKQXVAA2w

Re: Minimap test request

Emilian Bold-2
Looks very nice Peter.

Not sure why you are taking the color char by char I believe the API
provides bigger tokens which you could merge internally into a (color)
matrix. You might slow things down by going 1 char at a time.

Bookmarks shouldn't be hard, we have an API for that.

Highlight occurrence might be a bit more tricky. I can't remember if
we have a separate layer there.

Anyhow, very nice feature!

Also try to detect if we are under a "dark" theme. A lot of people are
using the Darcula LnF and you want your code map to fit in nicely.

--emi

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 9:32 PM, Peter Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://youtu.be/-hnKQXVAA2w
>

> ________________________________

Re: Minimap test request

Sean Carrick-4
Peter,

I have to agree with Emilian's viewpoint. Your minimap does look very nice, however it is showing the colors different than what mine actually are running the Darkula LnF.

Also, the suggestion regarding the color matrix would have to make it faster, not that I can tell that it's slow, mind you. However, I am running an Intel I5 with 8 GiB of RAM, so it's hard for me to tell anything about speed because it takes a lot to slow my system down.

But, again, it does look very nice overall.
--
photo
Sean Carrick

On Wed, 2017-02-08 at 00:23 +0200, Emilian Bold wrote:
Looks very nice Peter.

Not sure why you are taking the color char by char I believe the API
provides bigger tokens which you could merge internally into a (color)
matrix. You might slow things down by going 1 char at a time.

Bookmarks shouldn't be hard, we have an API for that.

Highlight occurrence might be a bit more tricky. I can't remember if
we have a separate layer there.

Anyhow, very nice feature!

Also try to detect if we are under a "dark" theme. A lot of people are
using the Darcula LnF and you want your code map to fit in nicely.

--emi

https://youtu.be/-hnKQXVAA2w ________________________________ From: Peter Cheung <[hidden email]> Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 9:52 PM To: [hidden email] Subject: [platform-dev] Minimap test request Hi All Can you test this for me http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/71031/?show=true ? The technique i use to generate a code map is : loop through the Elements in HighlightContainer, get the color of each character then generate a map. It is better than take a screen shoot of the code and minimize it to be the code map. Because each character is represented by a small box of color in the map, not just zooming the character and put it on the map. This make the code look more sharp and clear. Personally i think atom editor's has the best minimap and i will add these feature to beat them: 1) allow ignore all white space or tab in the beginning of line. Some people think this make the map sharper. I believe normal people overlook the map by seeing the tail of each line, so if i put white-box in the beginning of lines, just lesser sharp of the map. 2) allow people to ignore the white space or tab in the middle of line 3) change the scaling, longer line become longer, shorter line become shorter 4) build in several color theme (including gray theme), the color in atom editor minimap is same as the text on the editor, not good enough 5) Atom's minimap is scrollable, which mean you cannot overlook the whole code by look at the minimap. We are in retina display age, i think this should be cancel. So i just display the whole code minimap without scroll 6) highlight word occurrence, very useful i think. Instead of highligh those words in minimap, may be make it blink is better. 7) highlight the bookmark line, atom has it, but i would like to support it too. thanks from Peter

Re: Minimap test request

Peter Cheung

Hi

   Forgive my bad english, i read out the char color info block by block, not by every single char. Let me figure out the highlight occurrence, thanks
from Peter

Not sure why you are taking the color char by char I believe the API
provides bigger tokens which you could merge internally into a (color)
matrix. You might slow things down by going 1 char at a time.

Bookmarks shouldn't be hard, we have an API for that.

Highlight occurrence might be a bit more tricky. I can't remember if
we have a separate layer there.

Anyhow, very nice feature!

Also try to detect if we are under a "dark" theme. A lot of people are
using the Darcula LnF and you want your code map to fit in nicely.

--emi

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 9:32 PM, Peter Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> https://youtu.be/-hnKQXVAA2w
youtu.be
and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

> ________________________________

plugins.netbeans.org
NetBeans Plugins

> generate a code map is : loop through the Elements in HighlightContainer,
> get the color of each character then generate a map. It is better than take
> a screen shoot of the code and minimize it to be the code map. Because each
> character is represented by a small box of color in the map, not just
> zooming the character and put it on the map. This make the code look more
> sharp and clear. Personally i think atom editor's has the best minimap and i
> will add these feature to beat them:
>

> 1) allow ignore all white space or tab in the beginning of line. Some people
> think this make the map sharper. I believe normal people overlook the map by
> seeing the tail of each line, so if i put white-box in the beginning of
> lines, just lesser sharp of the map.
>
> 2) allow people to ignore the white space or tab in the middle of line
>
> 3) change the scaling, longer line become longer, shorter line become
> shorter
>
> 4) build in several color theme (including gray theme), the color in atom
> editor minimap is same as the text on the editor, not good enough
>
> 5) Atom's minimap is scrollable, which mean you cannot overlook the whole
> code by look at the minimap. We are in retina display age, i think this
> should be cancel. So i just display the whole code minimap without scroll
>
> 6) highlight word occurrence, very useful i think. Instead of highligh those
> words in minimap, may be make it blink is better.
>
> 7) highlight the bookmark line, atom has it, but i would like to support it
> too.
>

> thanks
>
> from Peter

Re: Minimap test request

Peter Cheung

Dear Sean

     I aligned the color theme to the netbeans theme, please see http://peter.kingofcoders.com/?p=2262

Let me optimise the plugin for speed.
thanks
from Peter

[...]

The author is looking for maintainers so perhaps you could step in? https://github.com/markiewb/nb-codeoutline

--emi

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 2:41 AM, Peter Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dear Emi
     Yes i know that. nb-codeoutline is using blueJ to create the code map and mine is using StyleDocument. Different architecture.
thanks
from Peter

On 12 Feb 2017, at 7:49 AM, Emilian Bold <[hidden email]> wrote:

The author is looking for maintainers so perhaps you could step in? https://github.com/markiewb/nb-codeoutline

--emi

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 2:41 AM, Peter Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Sean

     I aligned the color theme to the netbeans theme, please see http://peter.kingofcoders.com/?p=2262

Let me optimise the plugin for speed.
thanks
from Peter

Re: Minimap test request

Sean Carrick-4
Peter,

Nice job on the colors! The speed is improved a bit as well.

One issue I noticed, but it could have just been my display, is that on my source tab that has about 890 lines, the minimap didn't show anything below the 50th line until I clicked on the cursor location icon to bring my view down to where my current line was at. Once I clicked on that, the rest of the minimap showed up just fine. Scrolling the window to the current line did not reveal the minimap below line 50, only when I clicked on the current line icon next to the scroll bar. Maybe look into that issue and let me know what you discover. Like I said, it could just have been my display, since I've got all the eye-candy of Compiz turned on...