JavaFX in NB Platform app: Exceptions in Drag and Drop

JavaFX in NB Platform app: Exceptions in Drag and Drop

Steven Yi
Hi All,

I have found an issue with Drag and Drop in a JFXPanel when used in an
NB RCP app. It is an assertion error from QuantumToolkit, which makes
me think it is a JFX problem. However, a simple test using just a
JFrame, JFXPanel, and TreeView does not crash, but it does crash in a
minimal NB RCP app example.

I don't know if I'm being impatient with the Java bug system or I just
don't understand how it works, but I filed one bug regarding JFX
within JFXPanel in NB RCP app causing crashes, had it marked resolved,
then tried to file another, which was then marked duplicate.  Anyways
the tickets are here:

http://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=8178299
http://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=JDK-8178793

I did attempt to add further information to the first ticket with a
link to my minimal example that shows failure. After 5 days, my
additions to the original ticket were not processed and there was no
response via the system or the original support engineer that replied
to my ticket. I gave up on that for now and wanted to make sure this
issue is known here at least.

I have posted a minimal RCP example here:

http://kunstmusik.com/TestJFXDragAndDrop.zip

It throws exceptions every time after the first time I try to initiate
drag and drop. It's a bit of a stopper for doing further JFX in NB
Platform work here.  (Further system details are listed in those
tickets, but this is with Java 8u121, Windows 10, NB 8.2).

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if there's something I should be doing differently
to report bugs for the JDK bug system?
2. Can someone try the test project and confirm it's a problem there?
3. Does anyone know of a workaround?  (I'd be happy enough to be able
to move forward with my work.)

It's a bit curious that this happening in RCP apps, but not in a
simple JFrame. I am inclined to believe this is a JFX issue though as
I don't imagine exceptions from Quantum should be something to expect
as something to normally deal with for JFX dev work.

Any help for this situation would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
steven

Re: JavaFX in NB Platform app: Exceptions in Drag and Drop

Steven Yi
Hi All,

Just to follow up, it turns out that the bug tracking is a bit strange
to me and the ticket moved from the original system to OpenJDK's bug
tracker:

It's a bit strange as I'm not sure how to follow up with the ticket as
OpenJDK's bug tracker doesn't offer public accounts as far as I can
see.

Anyways... from the information in the ticket I experimented with
disabling assertions and found a workaround. I added the following to
my program's project.properties:

run.args.extra=-J-da:com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.EmbeddedSceneDnD
-J-da:javafx.embed.swing.SwingDnD

For my test project, the first flag was all that was necessary not to
have exceptions thrown, but when trying to implement in my primary
project I found the second was necessary. I don't particularly like to
disable assertions, but so far things look to be working for dragging
and dropping in both Swing and JavaFX within JFXPanel in my RCP
program. (I have not tried dragging/dropping between Swing and JFX
yet, so no comments there.)

Hope that's useful!
steven