Java Texteditor freezes

Neumi
When loading "some" java source files, the IDE freezes completely. Sometimes it helps if I open the named file in a external editor, change a single character and then save it. Then I restart netbeans and the file can be read. However, this does not work always. Of course I try to empty the cache every time, but it won't help. A file which I worked on yesterday, today causes the IDE to freeze.

I always (this happens for years now) thought this happens only at very large files, but lately it also happens for small files, with only about 1000 lines.

I also checked the log, the last entry is a warning:
[org.openide.util.WeakListenerImpl]: Can't remove javax.swing.event.ChangeListener using method org.netbeans.modules.java.j2seproject.J2SEActionProvider$CosAction.removeChangeListener from org.netbeans.modules.java.j2seproject.J2SEActionProvider$CosAction@7dabccf0

But that's from before the IDE freezes.

I read about freezing bugs since the very beginning, so I don't bother about writing another bug ticket and hoped that someone knows any workarounds.

Re: Java Texteditor freezes

Geertjan Wielenga-3

Which release of NetBeans are you using? Which version of the JDK?
What's the operating system you're using?

On 30-5-2017 9:51, Neumi wrote:

> When loading "some" java source files, the IDE freezes completely. Sometimes it helps if I open the named file in a external editor, change a single character and then save it. Then I restart netbeans and the file can be read. However, this does not work always. Of course I try to empty the cache every time, but it won't help. A file which I worked on yesterday, today causes the IDE to freeze.
>
> I always (this happens for years now) thought this happens only at very large files, but lately it also happens for small files, with only about 1000 lines.
>
> I also checked the log, the last entry is a warning:
> [org.openide.util.WeakListenerImpl]: Can't remove javax.swing.event.ChangeListener using method org.netbeans.modules.java.j2seproject.J2SEActionProvider$CosAction.removeChangeListener from org.netbeans.modules.java.j2seproject.J2SEActionProvider$CosAction@7dabccf0
>
> But that's from before the IDE freezes.
>

> I read about freezing bugs since the very beginning, so I don't bother about writing another bug ticket and hoped that someone knows any workarounds.

Re: Java Texteditor freezes

Eirik Bakke-2
Is the freeze permanent, or does the IDE unfreeze after a couple of
seconds? If the latter, how long (i.e. how many seconds) does it take for
the IDE to unfreeze?

-- Eirik

On 5/30/17, 3:51 AM, "Neumi" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>When loading "some" java source files, the IDE freezes completely.
>Sometimes it helps if I open the named file in a external editor, change
>a single character and then save it. Then I restart netbeans and the file
>can be read. However, this does not work always. Of course I try to empty
>the cache every time, but it won't help. A file which I worked on
>yesterday, today causes the IDE to freeze.
>
>I always (this happens for years now) thought this happens only at very
>large files, but lately it also happens for small files, with only about
>1000 lines.
>
>I also checked the log, the last entry is a warning:
>[org.openide.util.WeakListenerImpl]: Can't remove
>javax.swing.event.ChangeListener using method
>org.netbeans.modules.java.j2seproject.J2SEActionProvider$CosAction.removeC
>hangeListener from
>org.netbeans.modules.java.j2seproject.J2SEActionProvider$CosAction@7dabccf
>0
>
>But that's from before the IDE freezes.
>

>I read about freezing bugs since the very beginning, so I don't bother
>about writing another bug ticket and hoped that someone knows any
>workarounds.

Re: Java Texteditor freezes

wadechandler
Administrator
Are there duplicate static imports in any of the opened files in projects opened by the IDE? If so, correct those. There are some issues with refactoring imports if files have static imports I noticed.

Thanks,

Wade

Wade Chandler

On May 30, 2017, at 03:51, Neumi <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Wade Chandler

Software Engineer
NetBeans and Open Source Contributor