Is there a way to ask for permanent highlighting of certain identifiers and the like?

Is there a way to ask for permanent highlighting of certain identifiers and the like?

tgm1024
There are times when I'm hit with a myriad of identifiers which are very hard to visually parse.  For instance the LWJGL class names (and resulting object names in examples) are a bear for me to make heads or tails of.

For over 30 years I've always had extreme difficulty with this kind of thing in code.

A page full of things such as this:

GLFWErrorCallback.createPrint(System.err).set();
if ( !glfwInit() ) throw new IllegalStateException("Unable to initialize GLFW");
glfwDefaultWindowHints();
glfwWindowHint(GLFW_VISIBLE, GLFW_FALSE);
glfwWindowHint(GLFW_RESIZABLE, GLFW_TRUE);

Would be so much easier for me to read as something like this:

GLFWErrorCallback.createPrint(System.err).set();
if ( !glfwInit() ) throw new IllegalStateException("Unable to initialize GLFW");
glfwDefaultWindowHints();
glfwWindowHint(GLFW_VISIBLE, GLFW_FALSE);
glfwWindowHint(GLFW_RESIZABLE, GLFW_TRUE);

Best probably an even lighter gray.  Anything like that, or perhaps a plugin?  Perhaps something in the xml config files for netbeans?

Thanks!  This really has always held me back.

Is there an option for permanent highlighting of certain identifiers and the like?

tkellerer

tgm1024 wrote:
> Best probably an even lighter gray.  Anything like that, or perhaps a plugin?  Perhaps something in the xml config files for netbeans?

There are two ways to do that (if I understand correctly what you want)

If that is a complete identifier, you can enable the "Keep mark" option in the "Highlighting" section of the editor's options.

If it's only a part of an identifier, then highlight that part, use "Ctlr-F" to search for that string and use the "Toggle highlight search" button in the editor's toolbar

Attachments:
http://forums.netbeans.org//files/search_453.png
http://forums.netbeans.org//files/options_214.png

Is there an option for permanent highlighting of certain identifiers and the like?

tgm1024
No, neither of those are tenable.

First suggestion I can't use because it's only part of identifiers I need visually masked out (or just recolored).

(please see my examples).

Second suggestion I can't use because it would 1. all vanish the moment I went to search for something else (which is part of coding) and 2. would only work for one set of criteria.  There are conceivably a list of things that I would benefit from highlighting.

Sounds like the functionality isn't there.  Do you know of a mod that would help?  I'm pretty much ready to start coding my own at this point.

tgm1024 wrote:
> Sounds like the functionality isn't there.  Do you know of a mod that would help?  I'm pretty much ready to start coding my own at this point.
You can always file an enhancement request:

https://netbeans.org/community/issues.html

But I fail to see how lacking that feature prevents you in any way to start coding.

I for one would be very irritated if the editor would always highlight something. I never turn "persistent marks" on and I think I can count the times where I used "Toggle highlight search" with one hand (including the time I used it to generate the screenshot).

tkellerer wrote:

> tgm1024 wrote:
> > Sounds like the functionality isn't there.  Do you know of a mod that would help?  I'm pretty much ready to start coding my own at this point.
> You can always file an enhancement request:
>
> https://netbeans.org/community/issues.html
>
> But I fail to see how lacking that feature prevents you in any way to start coding.
>
> I for one would be very irritated if the editor would always highlight something. I never turn "persistent marks" on and I think I can count the times where I used "Toggle highlight search" with one hand (including the time I used it to generate the screenshot).

(???) Did you read my initial post at all?  I never said it was preventing me from coding.  I've been a professional software engineer since 1981.

And I was talking about a setting that I could turn on and off.

And it's not highlighting so much as greying out.

I'm talking about a particular visual pattern problem I have.

At first I thought that it had to do with a breakdown in pattern recognition, however a doctor clarified that it's actually that my visual pattern recognition ability is much higher than average and as a result I'm detecting the subpatterns (in this case, the glfw, etc.) so "strongly" that it's defeating the ability to detect the changing patterns (the ones that don't repeat, such as DefaultWindowHints, etc.).

I've been coding with netbeans for years too.  The only problem is that the pattern problem persists.

Is there an option for permanent highlighting of certain identifiers and the like?

tgm1024
In any case, it sounds like it's not a functionality I'm going to find until I code it into the IDE myself with a mod or some incredibly complicated macro recording or something.

Thanks for the link to the features section.

Is there an option for permanent highlighting of certain identifiers and the like?

Quella
I feel a lot of complex code, really envy you who will these people [Wink]