Inheritance in Java

radsolution
Hello,

I'm principally a C# developer using Visual Studio (VS),
with some experience of using NetBeans and Java.

My current issue is with inheritance in a Java project.
I want to refactor a package of classes into a set of base classes
and several sets of inherited/derived classes.

In VS this is easy - simply create a sub-folder below the 'package' folder,
and place the derived classes in that folder.
I cannot see how to do this in NetBeans. Is it possible?

I did try creating another package for the derived classes alongside the current (base) package, but got lots of compiler errors because classes in one package can't inherit from classes in another package.

This arrangement is also counter-intuitive, as the package inheritance isn't immediately obvious. A sub-package would be.

ANy guidance would be most welcome. Thanks