IDE window (Surface Pro) is small and cannot enlarge

IDE window (Surface Pro) is small and cannot enlarge

grightmd
I cannot increase the default NetBeans font. All windows, menus, etc are very small.  When I display over the projector, students have difficulty reading. Even the default JOptionPane dialog window is small and not resizeable. Is there a configuration I am not aware of? The Alt + mouse scroll works in the editor window.

Attachments:
http://forums.netbeans.org//files/joptionpanewindow_322.png

Re: IDE window (Surface Pro) is small and cannot enlarge

Thomas Wolf-7
I'm guessing your Surface screen has pretty high resolution and *all* Java apps, including Netbeans, have problems on high resolution monitors - except on MacOS - because fonts/things don't scale right.  So the easiest/best solution is for you to get a Mac :-).  Barring that, you could try downloading JDK 9 - which is supposed to have addressed this issue - and see if you can NB 9 (available at apache.org now I think) to work with JDK 9.  Also, you can mitigate the problem even with earlier JDKs by specifying a larger default font for netbeans when it starts.  I cannot remember the argument for that, but you should be able to google it.

Hope that helps,
tom

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 6:54 PM, grightmd <[hidden email]> wrote:
I cannot increase the default NetBeans font. All windows, menus, etc are very small.  When I display over the projector, students have difficulty reading. Even the default JOptionPane dialog window is small and not resizeable. Is there a configuration I am not aware of? The Alt + mouse scroll works in the editor window.

Attachments:
http://forums.netbeans.org//files/joptionpanewindow_322.png

Re: IDE window (Surface Pro) is small and cannot enlarge

Martin Balin-2
Here are 2 links which can help you:
https://jaxenter.com/netbeans/hidpi-with-eclipse-and-netbeans
it refers to
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23651486/netbeans-ide-scaling-on-windows-8

I don't have High DPI display so I cannot check which of described solutions works.

Martin

On 12.10.2017 21:55, Thomas Wolf wrote:
[...]

Mark A. Claassen

If it is running Window 10, go to the properties of the shortcut or executable, then to the compatibility tab.  Check the box for “Override high DPI scaling…” and choose “System”.

Works great.

Mark Claassen

Senior Software Engineer

Donnell Systems, Inc.

130 South Main Street

Leighton Plaza Suite 375

South Bend, IN  46601

E-mail: [hidden email]

Voice: (574)232-3784

Fax: (574)232-4014

Disclaimer:

The opinions provided herein do not necessarily state or reflect

those of Donnell Systems, Inc.(DSI). DSI makes no warranty for and

assumes no legal liability or responsibility for the posting.