Quantcast

I can't use my Parent Objects

Damian
Hello Everybody !!

I'm trying Java 8 with NetBEans 8.2.
I've just downloaded both, so I've the latest versions installed.
My pc have an Intel I7 processor with 32 Gb de Ram.
My SO is Windows 10 updated.
Everything is working fine.

I'm having some issues and I need some help or guide or anything.
Anything is going to be well received.

I work for a company that has some specific requirements in terms of the operability that must have the GUI of the system that will use the employees of the company.
Today they have all their systems made in PowerBuilder and I will try to migrate everything to Java.
Java EE was discarded. So JavaFx.
Must be a desktop application developed with Java SE and Swing tecnology.

Several frameworks, both free and commercial, were discarded as they did not match the specific operational requirements that the company needs.

The system will have several modules distributed in different offices of the company.
The accounting module will be in the accounting office, purchases and stock will be handled by the employees of the corresponding sector, calculation of salary in the human resources sector,
billing and collection the same, orders and quotes and so on.

All modules must have a main window (JFrame) that share the same basic characteristics.
The basic menu and a toolbar that will be used for all modules.
The idea is that when you start developing a new module the main window inherits from a window that I designed with the basic menu and toolbar instead of inheriting from the classic Java JFrame.
Once the inheritance is done, the main window is populated with the menu options and toolbar buttons that are specific to the module being developed.

I created a library with a window called "WindowMain" that extends a JFrame, I made the menu with the basic options (change of password, backup, restore, exit of the system, etc),
a toolbar with the basic buttons (calculator, calendar, exit the system) and a JDesktopPane to contain the rest of the windows. It was compiled without problems and the opening of the window was tested.
Up here everything was perfect.

Then I tried the development of the first module and I came across the first problem.
I created the project, created a package and created a class. To that class I added the "extends" command needed to inherit from "WindowMain".
I saved the changes, closed, reopened and never appeared "Design" to add components visually.
I discarded this method.

Then, I clicked the right button on the package, option "New" and created a new JFrame called MainWind.
Then I edited the class declaration code and where it says "extends javax.swing.JFrame" I changed it to "extends WindowMain".
I saved, closed, reopened and now had the "Design" option, but there was neither the base menu nor the base toolbar I had defined in "WindowMain".

At that moment I started going through different Java forums and watching YouTube videos to know what I was doing wrong.
But in all of them they start the developments from scratch and build each window from the beginning taking as reference the JFrame or the JInternalFrame.
And they always add the buttons ("New", "Delete", "Clean", "Save") and everything they need in each window.
Although they have already added it in other previous windows.
And they add it in different places in each window without respecting the basic standards of uniformity and continuity of GUI design.

At that point I started to go through the NetBeans manual to study the IDE's advanced options a bit better.
So I discovered that I had the option of modifying existing Templates and creating new ones.

I saved my "WindowMain" as a template.
Next, when I right-click on the package and select the "New" option, my "WindowMain" appears.
When I selected it, a new window was created with the "Design" option and with the base menu and the base toolbar.

I was very happy with the discovery !!!
I designed the JinternalFrames that would be the parents of all internal windows.
I designed one for the screens that update the database (ABM's), another for the queries to the database but that do not update and another one for the reports.

And I started to work.

After a few days, the company asks me to add some buttons to the toolbars of the main screens.

I modified the "WindowMain", since they were options for all modules. I saved and compiled my Parent Class library.
The main windows of the modules did not notice the modification.
No new buttons appeared on any of the toolbars in the main windows that extend "WindowMain".
So I closed the windows and opened them again. And nothing happened. I changed some code and saved them, closed them and opened them again. Still nothing.
I recompiled the project with the option "Build" and with the option "Clean and Buid". Neither do the new buttons appear.

I refuse to think that I have to re-do the main windows of all the modules or manually add the new buttons to the toolbars of the main windows of all the modules.
I think there has to be a way of solving this by reusing parent objects without having to do it all over again.

I returned to the Java programming forums and asked, but no one seems to know what I'm talking about.
I watched endless hours of Youtube videos and asked questions to the mails of those who make the videos.
They tell me what to do a new FrameWork and that is a very difficult task and to ask in such or such forum.
But I had already consulted in those forums.

The bottom line is that I am stuck and I would like to know if there is any solution or where we have to look to resolve these issues.

If someone can give me a guide, show me a way to follow, tell me a reading to help me, I would be very grateful.

Re: I can't use my Parent Objects

DERIK DEVECCHIO
Congratulations on selecting Netbeans as your IDE.

Though I can’t answer you questions definitively, I am going to succinctly restate them so that more people might read them.

Your first question:   Is it possible to open classes which do not directly extend javax.swing.JFrame in the visual editor?
I believe the answer to that will be “no”.   There may be someone in this forum who can speak definitively about what types of classes will work.

You second question:.  What is the way to build a user interface, which allows the usage of common toolbars and menu items without violating restriction above?

Others may provide a method to do that within the NetBeans IDE.    Failing that, I believe you will need to develop something using composition instead of inheritance.   See the link below for a quick discussion of the distinction.
So in your case, your department-interfaces for accounting or marketing, would own an instance of the “main tool bar" as well as instance of their department specific tool bar.  Changing the main tool bar would change its appearance for all department interfaces that instantiate that class.

Be advised that this forum is for discussions of the NetBeans IDE.   If you have application specific questions, you will reach a larger audience on stackoverflow.com.

derik

On May 8, 2017, at 6:37 PM, Damian <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hello Derik !!!

Your answer was very helpful  !!

I’ve read the discussion in starkoverflow and I think I can modify the design to do that.

I'm sorry you think this is not the place for my questions.
I thought my question was about NetBeans. Because Java allows you to do what I want to do. But I don’t know how to do it in NetBeans. I don’t even know if it's possible to do it on NetBeans.

Anyway, from now on I will consult in stackoverflow.
Thank you very much again, for your answer and for the advice !!!.

Damián

Re: I can't use my Parent Objects

Bayless Kirtley

Damian, I believe your question is definitely a Netbeans question. You are not asking how to inherit but rather haw can you do this in the Netbeans editor. You have the Java answer but not the Netbeans implementation.

I'm sorry but I can't answer that either but I expect someone who can will be around soon with the answer.

Bayless

On 05/09/2017 09:19 AM, Damian Caputo wrote:
Hello Derik !!!

Your answer was very helpful  !!

I’ve read the discussion in starkoverflow and I think I can modify the design to do that.

I'm sorry you think this is not the place for my questions.
I thought my question was about NetBeans. Because Java allows you to do what I want to do. But I don’t know how to do it in NetBeans. I don’t even know if it's possible to do it on NetBeans.

Anyway, from now on I will consult in stackoverflow.
Thank you very much again, for your answer and for the advice !!!.

Damián

Re: I can't use my Parent Objects

Damian
Hi Bayless !!!

Thank you for your answer !!

And thanks for understanding my criteria to ask in this forum.

I hope someone arrives with the answer I need

Regards !!

Re: I can't use my Parent Objects

markwade
I found it interesting what your trying to do but to my knowledge I
don't think that's going to work the way you want it to. Once a
component is placed in the designer the code is generated in that source
file and form data.  If you then edit the library component you used to
populate the designer you would need some sort of publish/subscribe
mechanism to update any source/form files that had been previously
generated and as far as I know no such mechanism exists.

But...

You can use Netbeans facilities to make it not so painful.  To develop
your main window NetBeans offers an "MDI Application Sample Form" wizard
with the description:

> "Creates a JFrame application with pre-defined common menu items and
> containing a JDesktopPane that internal frames may be added to at
> runtime. This template can be used as a main window for MDI applications."

It's found at File -> New File -> Java -> Swing GUI Forms -> MDI
Application Sample Form or the context menu for the package you want it
in, choose "Other" and then the same path.

You can edit that as your requirements change.  The problem with using a
template is each time you edit that main window source file and save as
a template you have to change the hard-coded package name and class name
occurances with variables, not a big deal I suppose but depending on how
often edits are made you can copy that main window source file and paste
it where you want and choose "Refactor copy..."

Since each of your internal frames are developed separately it should
not be so painful to delete the main window in the module, copy and
paste a refactored copy then just drag and drop the internal frames back
onto the new main window.

So, if each of your modules is in a separate project you have to use the
project's context menu and choose "Libraries" and click "Add Project"
and select the depedencies for your main window and you internal
frames.  I find it easier to turn off "Compile On Save" so that after
any edits to a component I can compile the source and then that source
node can be dragged and dropped in the designer.

I don't know how clear that is and not what you wanted to hear but... HTH

On 05/08/2017 09:37 PM, Damian wrote:

> [...]
>

> I returned to the Java programming forums and asked, but no one seems to know what I'm talking about.
> I watched endless hours of Youtube videos and asked questions to the mails of those who make the videos.
> They tell me what to do a new FrameWork and that is a very difficult task and to ask in such or such forum.
> But I had already consulted in those forums.
>
> The bottom line is that I am stuck and I would like to know if there is any solution or where we have to look to resolve these issues.
>
> If someone can give me a guide, show me a way to follow, tell me a reading to help me, I would be very grateful.

Re: I can't use my Parent Objects

markwade
On 05/08/2017 09:37 PM, Damian wrote:
> Once the inheritance is done, the main window is populated with the menu options and toolbar buttons that are specific to the module being developed.

Yeah, I see the problem better now.  That's why I found it interesting
but, yeah, that's a problem.

Re: I can't use my Parent Objects

Damian
Hi Mark !!

Yeah, that's a problem.
Thanks for your answer.
And your advice about using the MDI Application Sample Form is a very good
idea.
Thank you very much !!!

> Once the inheritance is done, the main window is populated with the menu
> options and toolbar buttons that are specific to the module being
> developed.

Yeah, I see the problem better now.  That's why I found it interesting
but, yeah, that's a problem.

Re: I can't use my Parent Objects

DERIK DEVECCHIO
Damián,

You said,
I'm sorry you think this is not the place for my questions.

I didn’t mean to imply that the two questions I extracted from your original post were not relevant here.   In fact, they are excellent questions; which is why I took the trouble to extract them.    Just ignore the last part of my first post if you like.

Anyway, I was thinking your situation…  The following might be useful to you.

NetBean’s GUI Builder (aka Matisse) allows you to make custom GUI components for the pallet.
So you could create your MainToolBar and your MainMenuBar in some form call MainFrameComponentsExtendsJFrame.
Then you can add the MainToolBar and the MainMenuBar to the controls pallet following the instructions here.

If that doesn’t work the way you need, that is to say if the code for a custom component doesn’t load from main project when the form is loaded, then I would making a custom component which is just an empty panel that is the exact size and shape of your tool bar.  Then you put that empty panel on each of your department forms as a place holder.  Then in the Initialization code for your department panel you put some boiler plate code that loads the MainMenuBar into the panel.    That doesn’t sound so bad.

On May 9, 2017, at 7:19 AM, Damian Caputo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Derik !!!

Your answer was very helpful  !!

I’ve read the discussion in starkoverflow and I think I can modify the design to do that.

I'm sorry you think this is not the place for my questions.
I thought my question was about NetBeans. Because Java allows you to do what I want to do. But I don’t know how to do it in NetBeans. I don’t even know if it's possible to do it on NetBeans.

Anyway, from now on I will consult in stackoverflow.
Thank you very much again, for your answer and for the advice !!!.

Damián

Re: I can't use my Parent Objects

Damian
Hi Derik !!!

What a great idea !!!!

I think it can work for me.

One more time, thank you very much !!!

I have to test a lot of ideas.
I haven’t asked in stackoverflow forum (yet).
And I think I don’t need to ask either.
I think that here, in this forum, is all what I need to know.