How is *any* profiling done on 5.0?

Tom Ball
Since only silence greeted my question regarding how the NetBeans
profiler can be used to profile the 5.0 IDE, I guess it isn't supported
yet.  So what profiling tools, if any, are being used today?  I don't
think I will be able to convince my director that I need to spend lots
of money for a third-party profiler, but if that is what it takes, so be it.

Tom

Re: How is *any* profiling done on 5.0?

Alex Lam S.L.
I remember while skimming through the Profiler issues, they have been
talking about improving some underlying structures to enable profiling
Netbeans itself.

Whether they've made any progress with that I'm not sure; I guess it might
be a good idea to ask them? As module development would be one of the main
themes of Netbeans 5.0, this could be come in handy as a feature.

Alex.

On Sep 8 2005, Tom Ball wrote:

> Since only silence greeted my question regarding how the NetBeans
> profiler can be used to profile the 5.0 IDE, I guess it isn't supported
> yet. So what profiling tools, if any, are being used today? I don't think
> I will be able to convince my director that I need to spend lots of money
> for a third-party profiler, but if that is what it takes, so be it.
>
>Tom

Re: How is *any* profiling done on 5.0?

Radim Kubacki-2
Tom Ball wrote:
> Since only silence greeted my question regarding how the NetBeans
> profiler can be used to profile the 5.0 IDE, I guess it isn't supported
> yet.  So what profiling tools, if any, are being used today?  I don't
> think I will be able to convince my director that I need to spend lots
> of money for a third-party profiler, but if that is what it takes, so be
> it.

Tom,

profiling with NetBeans profiler is possible and as I see from your next
mail you realized how to do it.

Formerly we often used OptimizeIt.
apisupport/release/nb-prof-debug/optimizeit/ directory contains some
helper scripts to make it easier to launch the IDE w/ this tool. Now we
have also couple of licenses of JProfiler bought for the teams.

Personally I like to use Sun's Performance Analyzer
(http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/cc/analyzer_index.html). And don't
forget about INSANE to track memory usage.

-Radim