How do I make a JDK the default?

ptoye-2
I've just installed an updated version of the JDK and added it to the NB platforms. I'd like to use it as the default for all projects, but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this. The help file tells me how to change it for each individual project, but that's a bit of a pain....

Surely it's possible without deleting the older version?

How do I make a JDK the default?

tkellerer

ptoye wrote:
> I've just installed an updated version of the JDK and added it to the NB platforms. I'd like to use it as the default for all projects, but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this. The help file tells me how to change it for each individual project, but that's a bit of a pain....
>
> Surely it's possible without deleting the older version?

You can specify this on the command line when starting NetBeans or in the netbeans.conf file:

See the FAQ for more details: http://wiki.netbeans.org/FaqJdkHome

How do I make a JDK the default?

ptoye-2
Thanks. It's some time since I used NetBeans and I'd forgotten. I think it would really be helpful if this could be done through the GUI when attaching a new platform.

ptoye wrote:
> Thanks. It's some time since I used NetBeans and I'd forgotten.
>
> I think it would really be helpful if this could be done through the GUI when attaching a new platform, especially on Windows where you have to log in as admin before you can edit the file.
You can edit the shortcut and pass the --jdkhome parameter. That should not require Admin privileges.

How do I make a JDK the default?

ptoye-2
True, but a checkbox on the window adding a JDK would be a lot easier to remember!