How do I get this coffee stuff to work?

ReliableRobots.com
I downloaded some JAVA files I'm interested in.  A notepad view was undecipherable so I dowloaded Java SDK 8 from Oracle.  No evidence of how to make it work.. So  I contacted a college teacher who said I needed to download Net Beans  It downloaded fine but it started with an error message where the only option was to close the Netbeans installer.  I'm surprised anyone uses this stuff with this much difficulty.  Regardless, how does one actually get started in Java and Net Beans and whatever else is required?  Thanks.

Kirk Fraser