Gradle plugin - how to

Greenberg, Gary (ARC-TI)[UNIVERSITIES SPACE RESEARCH ASSN]

Just started on a new project and team there is using Gradle, rather than Maven I am very used to.
I have installed Gradle plugin and I am able to open existing projects, but menu bar and context menu looks very limited to me.

I do not see Build, Run and Debug buttons and many more things.

I did create new Graddle root project, but do not see how I can make sub-projects into it.
Plugin documentation is very-very limited. I searched the web for some articles on how to use Gradle with Netbeans 8.2, but did not find anything useful.
I would greatly appreciates some tips.

Re: Gradle plugin - how to

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com
Heaps of documentation, I’d say:

https://github.com/kelemen/netbeans-gradle-project/wiki/Getting-Started
https://github.com/kelemen/netbeans-gradle-project

Gj

> On 1 Sep 2017, at 19:45, Greenberg, Gary (ARC-TI)[UNIVERSITIES SPACE RESEARCH ASSN] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just started on a new project and team there is using Gradle, rather than Maven I am very used to.
> I have installed Gradle plugin and I am able to open existing projects, but menu bar and context menu looks very limited to me.
> I do not see Build, Run and Debug buttons and many more things.
> I did create new Graddle root project, but do not see how I can make sub-projects into it.
> Plugin documentation is very-very limited. I searched the web for some articles on how to use Gradle with Netbeans 8.2, but did not find anything useful.
> I would greatly appreciates some tips.

Re: Gradle plugin - how to

attila.kelemen
Hi Gary,

To set up a Gradle project you don't really have to consider NB. Just create a Gradle project and NB will almost certainly recognize it. So, the main thing to do first is to understand Gradle itself. I would recommend looking at existint Gradle builds. Though, I have added some templates to the project wizard, I would recommend you to tailor the build to your needs rather than trying to keep the wizard happy.

As an example, you can look at one of my project: https://github.com/kelemen/JTrim. This project has a moderately complex build and in this project, creating a subproject simply equals to creating a directory with a build.gradle file in it. You can "steal" any code from my repos if you want to. If you have any specific question, I'm glad to help.

bye,
Attila Kelemen

Heaps of documentation, I’d say:

https://github.com/kelemen/netbeans-gradle-project/wiki/Getting-Started
https://github.com/kelemen/netbeans-gradle-project

Gj

> On 1 Sep 2017, at 19:45, Greenberg, Gary (ARC-TI)[UNIVERSITIES SPACE RESEARCH ASSN] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just started on a new project and team there is using Gradle, rather than Maven I am very used to.
> I have installed Gradle plugin and I am able to open existing projects, but menu bar and context menu looks very limited to me.
> I do not see Build, Run and Debug buttons and many more things.
> I did create new Graddle root project, but do not see how I can make sub-projects into it.
> Plugin documentation is very-very limited. I searched the web for some articles on how to use Gradle with Netbeans 8.2, but did not find anything useful.
> I would greatly appreciates some tips.

Re: Gradle plugin - how to

Greenberg, Gary (ARC-TI)[UNIVERSITIES SPACE RESEARCH ASSN]
I have seen that but it won't answer any of my questions.

> On 1 Sep 2017, at 19:45, Greenberg, Gary (ARC-TI)[UNIVERSITIES SPACE RESEARCH ASSN] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just started on a new project and team there is using Gradle, rather than Maven I am very used to.
> I have installed Gradle plugin and I am able to open existing projects, but menu bar and context menu looks very limited to me.
> I do not see Build, Run and Debug buttons and many more things.
> I did create new Graddle root project, but do not see how I can make sub-projects into it.
> Plugin documentation is very-very limited. I searched the web for some articles on how to use Gradle with Netbeans 8.2, but did not find anything useful.
> I would greatly appreciates some tips.

Re: Gradle plugin - how to

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com

See Attila’s response: "To set up a Gradle project you don't really have to consider NB. Just create a Gradle project and NB will almost certainly recognize it. So, the main thing to do first is to understand Gradle itself. I would recommend looking at existint Gradle builds. Though, I have added some templates to the project wizard, I would recommend you to tailor the build to your needs rather than trying to keep the wizard happy. As an example, you can look at one of my project: https://github.com/kelemen/JTrim. This project has a moderately complex build and in this project, creating a subproject simply equals to creating a directory with a build.gradle file in it. You can "steal" any code from my repos if you want to. If you have any specific question, I'm glad to help.”

Thanks,

Geertjan Wielenga | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +31620320056 |
Oracle Developer Tools

ORACLE Netherlands | Hertogswetering 163-167 | 3543 AS Utrecht | Netherlands