Files opening after NB crash

Gary Greenberg-7
I am already used to the fact that NB 8.1 on MacOS X (Yosemite 10.10.5) crashes frequently.
No less then once in 2 days.
What bothers me, that after restart it opens not files that were open at the time of the crash, but files I worked on couple weeks ago.
Even not long before the crash I have restarted Netbeans and it opened the right set of files, but after the crash I have to do ‘Close All’
and then open files one by one. That is annoying and time consuming. I usually have about a dozen or more of java, xml and properties files open.
I already asked this question here few months ago and the only suggestion was to delete my userdir. I did delete it, but it didn’t do me a single bit of good,
except that I had to reinstall all my plugins.
Is it only my problem and nobody else haven’t experienced it?

Re: Files opening after NB crash

Mark Wilmoth
You never replied to the bug report you filed. Did you update your JDK?

I don't use Mac OS, but I only see this one bug report when I do google search and it reference another report that sounded familiar to the one you filed.

Just trying to help - wish I could help more.

Mark

Is it only my problem and nobody else haven’t experienced it?

Re: Files opening after NB crash

Mark Wilmoth
P.S. I would delete cachedir before I would delete userdir, or I would delete both.

Mark

Re: Files opening after NB crash

Gary Greenberg-7
I have updated my JDK from 1.8.0_48 to 1.8.0_65 somewhere in December last year.
It didn’t help.
I’ll try to update to the latest 1.8.0_91 and will let you know if it has any affect.
I did delete both cachedir and userdir.

On Apr 29, 2016, at 10:54 PM, Mark Wilmoth <[hidden email]> wrote:

P.S. I would delete cachedir before I would delete userdir, or I would delete both.

Mark

Re: Files opening after NB crash

Mark Wilmoth
Great!

You should reply to the bug report and let Jiri Prox know about it in the bug report and tell him you still have the problem.

Mark

Re: Files opening after NB crash

DERIK DEVECCHIO

> On Apr 29, 2016, at 5:57 PM, Gary Greenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am already used to the fact that NB 8.1 on MacOS X (Yosemite 10.10.5) crashes frequently.
> Is it only my problem and nobody else haven’t experienced it?

I can’t say that no one else has your problem.   But I do not have your problem.   I can’t recall NB having crashed on my OS X (Yosemite) computer in the last year.

I can’t help you with the matter of what files the IDE loads after it crashes.  There might be others here that are sufficiently knowledgable.  But it seems like if you could avoid having your IDE crash, then that would solve 2 problems at once.

It sounds like you have been dealing with this for a long time but I don’t know what you have done in the past to narrow it down.  So I will just make few suggestions.

Perhaps you have a corrupted project file.  Do you notice that it crashes only if you always have a particular project open?  If so, perhaps building an entirely new project from the same sources would fix the project and prevent NetBeans from crashing.

Do you notice that the IDE crashes when it reaches a particular point in the build?  Or when debugging?  Saving/editing files?

Have you experienced this problem in prior versions of NB IDE?   Perhaps try NB 7.x just explore the problem?  It seems you can replicate the problem every few days without trying, so you wouldn’t need to work in the older IDE for very long to verify that it generates the same error.

Re: Files opening after NB crash

LAW Andy
Whilst NetBeans doesn’t crash often on my systems, I know that when it does (or if something else takes the system down catastrophically) then it does have problems remembering which files were open. I suspect that the “open files” list is maintained in memory normally and is only written out to disk on a clean shutdown. I don’t have sufficient knowledge of the source code to be able to contribute a patch to fix that, I’m afraid.

Later,

Andy

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Files opening after NB crash

Gary Greenberg-7
I did upgrade my JDK to 1.8.0_91 on May 1st.
This morning NB crashed again.
I have updated bug report with 2 more crash dumps.