Extracting NetBeans usage and interaction data

Extracting NetBeans usage and interaction data

Dennis Ziegenhagen
Hello,

for my PhD thesis, I plan to do some analysis on IDE usage and the
interactions between developers and software development tools. Among
others, two of the main goals are
1) recovering traceability links between development artifacts of
different tools, and
2) identifying “best” and “bad” usage practices in order to assist the
developer (e.g by giving hints or suggesting applicable functions).

Of course, there are already hints and other helpful things inside
NetBeans, but my research is more aiming at the integration of different
tools. So, for me, the IDE is not the main application, but one of many
development-related tools, like also those for requirements engineering,
diagramming, UI sketching and so on.

After this short introduction, here are (finally :) ) my questions:

Are there possibilities to hook into NetBeans’ internal event or action
system in order to collect the desired data? Looking at the API
documentation and development FAQs, I can only find access to the action
pool (“Actions/” in the layer/file system) and the (maybe outdated?)
“ActionManager” inside the “Actions APIs”. Until now, I don’t see any
possibility to attach sth. like a “global ActionListener” which gets
called every time any action is performed. Any hints for me?

Additionally, does some kind of data collection already exist, which I
am missing? The “NetBeans Usage data tracking programm” doesn’t seem to
collect the detailed data which I need, but could be a starting point to
hook on. Is it possible to access this data tracking via an API? Are
there any other data collecting mechanisms or event buses inside NetBeans?

I would be glad if someone could provide me any help, hints or further
ideas on this.

Many thanks in advance and best regards
Dennis

P.S. sorry for the long text, but I thought it could be helpful to give
an idea of what I try to achieve :)

--
Dennis Ziegenhagen, M.Sc.
Fachbereich 06
Fax:  +49 541 969-2799

Re: Extracting NetBeans usage and interaction data

geertjan.wielenga@oracle.com

http://statistics.netbeans.org/analytics/

E.g.:

http://statistics.netbeans.org/analytics/graph/actions.jsp

Gj

On 20-4-2017 14:47, Dennis Ziegenhagen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> for my PhD thesis, I plan to do some analysis on IDE usage and the
> interactions between developers and software development tools. Among
> others, two of the main goals are
> 1) recovering traceability links between development artifacts of
> different tools, and
> 2) identifying “best” and “bad” usage practices in order to assist the
> developer (e.g by giving hints or suggesting applicable functions).
>
> Of course, there are already hints and other helpful things inside
> NetBeans, but my research is more aiming at the integration of
> different tools. So, for me, the IDE is not the main application, but
> one of many development-related tools, like also those for
> requirements engineering, diagramming, UI sketching and so on.
>
> After this short introduction, here are (finally :) ) my questions:
>
> Are there possibilities to hook into NetBeans’ internal event or
> action system in order to collect the desired data? Looking at the API
> documentation and development FAQs, I can only find access to the
> action pool (“Actions/” in the layer/file system) and the (maybe
> outdated?) “ActionManager” inside the “Actions APIs”. Until now, I
> don’t see any possibility to attach sth. like a “global
> ActionListener” which gets called every time any action is performed.
> Any hints for me?
>
> Additionally, does some kind of data collection already exist, which I
> am missing? The “NetBeans Usage data tracking programm” doesn’t seem
> to collect the detailed data which I need, but could be a starting
> point to hook on. Is it possible to access this data tracking via an
> API? Are there any other data collecting mechanisms or event buses
> inside NetBeans?
>
> I would be glad if someone could provide me any help, hints or further
> ideas on this.
>
> Many thanks in advance and best regards
> Dennis
>
> P.S. sorry for the long text, but I thought it could be helpful to
> give an idea of what I try to achieve :)

Re: Extracting NetBeans usage and interaction data

Dennis Ziegenhagen
Thank you very much! The "UI Gestures Collector Infrastructure" Module
seems to be very promising for my purposes.

Also, the possibility to view the already collected data online is great!

Thanks and best regards
Dennis