Displaying lots of data

Dave_Curry
NB6.0, VWP
I have a derby table with 100 fields.  Likely to have hundreds of records.  Two issues:
1)  How can I limit the displayed table component to only a few records and allow scrolling through the rest of the records?   Currently, the all records rendered, which is good, except the table automatically expands vertically to accommodate them - no scroll bars!(?)
2)  Even a reasonable subset of fields, say 10 (+ 3 to uniquely identify the particular row), would fill the width of most of my users' screens.  But then I have the other 90 fields to display somewhere/how - what to do?  I don't want a single table component with 100 columns!  Users would go nuts scrolling right, right, right...  I suppose, if #1 above has an answer, I could add additional table components, each with its own subset of fields - as long as all the table components stay in synch with what is selected in the first table component.  Just stack them one atop the other.  But perhaps someone has a better way???

I get the feeling that the InsertUpdateDelete tutorial, from which I've patterned my development, isn't the best approach for "real world" applications that can have a lot of data.
TIA,
Dave

Re: Displaying lots of data

IT Guy
For (1) you can configure the table for multiple pages. In the table's properties window, make sure the paginateButton checkbox is selected. If you want the user to have the option to display all rows, you can make sure the paginateButton checkbox is selected. (I don't recommend doing this if the table could potentially contain 100s or 1000s or records.) To set the number of rows to be displayed, set the table's row group component's rows attribute to 5 or 10 or whatever.

For (2), I recommend including a button or radio button column in the table and only displaying a few "key" fields from the table. When the user clicks the button or selects the radio button, the record's details can be displayed.

You may find the following links useful for handling buttons or radio buttons in a table component.

http://blogs.sun.com/winston/entry/single_selectable_row_table_component
http://blogs.sun.com/divas/category/NetBeans+Visual+Web+Pack (See Table Component Sample Visual Web Project for NetBeans IDE 6.0 in this blog entry)
Dave_Curry wrote
[...]
A One Man IT Department