Quantcast

Database Question JavaDB, Sqlite any.

safiro21
So i making this java application with database, but the database I using is in Netbeans.This database only live in netbeans?
If this is correct. I need to create a database script to used  in another pc?

Now, is any database I can wrap in my java application? I not want to used a FileDatabase. If is any database I can wrap in my app. Is any tutorial I can used? Thanks

Mysql is to heavy and you need to know how to create and install.  The app I’m creating is for not experiments users. lol You know the people only click where they click every day. I looking for something you can click the app.jar and everything is working like suppose to. But thanks for the idea if you have another one I will appreciated.

Re: Database Question JavaDB, Sqlite any.

safiro21
Well you know... That using mySql I thing is good Idea. I make the Script in a class to get it done. Thankss.

Re: Database Question JavaDB, Sqlite any.

wadechandler
Administrator
The bigger thing to keep in mind is how you plan to distribute the application. If you plan on the application being something you sell or redistribute outside of your organization then you may want to rethink MySQL as the license isn't such that can happen unless things have changed in the passed couple years. I was looking at it for a project, but then went another direction because of license restrictions.

You can embed Apache Derby. The performance won't be the same, but if you are not using a lot of data necessarily, then it won't matter. Firebird and Postgres can be distributed without license restrictions too for more performance. If you use a database that you can use by just dropping the binaries some where without really *installing* then you can embed it within your final JAR, and then extract it from your JAR and place it some where on the users system where user applications have access and execute it from there and all from programming logic. A little more work, but allows you to distribute an executable JAR if that is really what you need to do.

For more production oriented things you would want to make a more polished installer of course, so you can take advantage of other things which do require an installation to run at that point.

Wade

--

=================
Wade Chandler

Software Engineer and Consultant
NetBeans Contributor
NetBeans Dream Team Member

wadechandler.com
netbeans.org

Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 7:41 PM

If you need small database with decent performance check out MySQL

On Nov 26, 2012 7:40 PM, "safiro21" <[hidden email]> wrote:
So i making this java application with database, but the database I using is
in Netbeans.This database only live in netbeans?
If this is correct. I need to create a database script to used  in another
pc?

Now, is any database I can wrap in my java application? I not want to used a
FileDatabase. If is any database I can wrap in my app. Is any tutorial I can
used? Thanks

=================
Wade Chandler

Software Engineer and Consultant
NetBeans Contributor
NetBeans Dream Team Member

wadechandler.com
netbeans.org

====================
Wade Chandler

Software Engineer
NetBeans and Open Source Contributor

Re: Database Question JavaDB, Sqlite any.

wadechandler
Administrator
Just an FYI for folks who perhaps didn't know about what I was writing about in my previous email.

http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/oem/

--

=================

Software Engineer
NetBeans and Open Source Contributor

Re: Database Question JavaDB, Sqlite any.

emiddio-frontier

Whats wrong with JavaDB/Derby ? It's even bundled with the JDK now.
-Gary
Well you know... That using mySql I thing is good Idea. I make the Script in a class to get it done. Thankss.

Re: Database Question JavaDB, Sqlite any.

Marc Farrow

Derby?

Mysql is to heavy and you need to know how to create and install.  The app I’m creating is for not experiments users. lol You know the people only click where they click every day. I looking for something you can click the app.jar and everything is working like suppose to. But thanks for the idea if you have another one I will appreciated.

Re: Database Question JavaDB, Sqlite any.

safiro21
Well the only bundle I was able to do was the  driver embedded,  but not the database with the tables.
I don’t know how and I can’t found any resource to get it done. Do you know any tutorial or book for that?
Yes netbean let you config a database, but when you turn of Netbeans the database is turn off to.
I spend like 2 days looking info for wrap or bundle the database in the program, not luck so far.
With this statement,
Whats wrong with JavaDB/Derby ? It's even bundled with the JDK now.”

Maybe you know any tutorial or book about how I can doit. Thanks

Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:15 AM

Whats wrong with JavaDB/Derby ? It's even bundled with the JDK now.
-Gary

Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:15 AM