Background scanning of Python project never stops

Background scanning of Python project never stops

MartinOShea-2
Hello

I am using NetBeans 8.2 with various versions of Python installed. However, whenever a Python project is loaded, the Background scanning of projects will run in the toolbar constantly.

It does not, and cannot be stopped. For every other language or plug-in, I do not have this issue.

Can anything be done about this? Is it a bug, a config option I can switch off or anything else?

That it continues is very disconcerting.

Thanks

Martin O'Shea.

Re: Background scanning of Python project never stops

wadechandler
Administrator
Martin

Can you create an issue with a description hereĀ https://netbeans.org/community/issues.html

Too, can you attach a screen shot of what you see in the status bar along with your IDE log? Also, if you can lookup the pid of your netbeans process, and run:

jstack -l pid_here > nb-thread-dump-1.tdump

Where pid_here is your looked up pid, and 1 is a number you can increment.

Then, if you could make at least 5 thread dumps maybe 20 seconds apart, incrementing the number in the file name each time, then I can use that info to possibly help you out, but too, there are some general issues I am looking into related to such lock ups, and a good sample of project types and use cases will be very helpful.

Then please reply back here with a link to your created issue with attachments.

I have a number of dumps for running NetBeans with Maven and Gradle projects open where scanning takes a very long time, but not PHP. I think this is some how related to checking for external changes too, but not sure. Your case may be entirely different or maybe the same.

Thanks much

Wade

On Jun 4, 2017 5:42 AM, "MartinOShea" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

I am using NetBeans 8.2 with various versions of Python installed. However, whenever a Python project is loaded, the Background scanning of projects will run in the toolbar constantly.

It does not, and cannot be stopped. For every other language or plug-in, I do not have this issue.

Can anything be done about this? Is it a bug, a config option I can switch off or anything else?

That it continues is very disconcerting.

Thanks

Martin O'Shea.

Wade Chandler

Software Engineer
NetBeans and Open Source Contributor

Re: Background scanning of Python project never stops

wadechandler
Administrator
I accidently wrote PHP, and meant Python, but certainly the more info the better.

Thanks

Wade