Quantcast

Attach profiler to 32 bit java process

robowen5mac
I am making the move from Eclipse to Netbeans and am trying to get up to speed with all the features for java development.

I am working with netbeans 8.2 on Windows 10 and have installed the full package. I am currently working on a 32 bit java application that is launched from a gradle project. Once the application is running, I would like to attach a profiler to the running application but run into the "32 bit process cannot be attached to WOW64" error message. The java project itself, as well as gradle, are both configured correctly to use 32 bit java and are running in the correct JVM. However the only way I could get the profiler to attach successfully was to completely uninstall Netbeans and then during the reinstall, point the installer at a 32bit version of Java 1.8.

This is a workable solution, but I was curious if there was a better option that would allow me to run Netbeans in a 64bit environment while still use all the features of Netbeans for 32 bit development.

Thx

Attach profiler to 32 bit java process

tkellerer

robowen5mac wrote:
>  However the only way I could get the profiler to attach successfully was to completely uninstall Netbeans and then during the reinstall, point the installer at a 32bit version of Java 1.8.
No uninstall necessary.

You can pass the JDK that NetBeans should use through the --jdkhome command line option.  And of course you must start netbeans.exe, not netbeans64.exe
e.g.:
Code:
netbeans.exe  --jdkhome c:\Java\jdk8_32

tkellerer wrote:

> robowen5mac wrote:
> >  However the only way I could get the profiler to attach successfully was to completely uninstall Netbeans and then during the reinstall, point the installer at a 32bit version of Java 1.8.
> No uninstall necessary.
>
> You can pass the JDK that NetBeans should use through the --jdkhome command line option.  And of course you must start netbeans.exe, not netbeans64.exe
> e.g.:
> Code:
> netbeans.exe  --jdkhome c:\Java\jdk8_32

Thanks for the reply. You are right this a better option than an uninstall. Does this mean that the only way to use the profiler with a 32 bit application is to launch the IDE in 32 bit more. Was just hoping there was a way to configure the profiler to run in a 32bit JVM without having launch the whole of the IDE in 32 bit more.